what's made you see red at the gym?

Options

Replies

• spersephone
    spersephone Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    My old gym had the 20 minute limit on cardio, so I'd do that but I'd allow myself the built in five minute cool down too. However, I'd feel guilty all the time. Well come on, 20 minutes isn't very long! But if you're going flat out for it, you want that cool down.

I recently cancelled my membership and invested in a treadmill.

I now happily spend an hour on it, half an hour running, half an hour walking. And I don't have to feel guilty about others waiting.
  • heidimaggott78
    Options
    One of the instructors tried to steer me towards the Smith Machine and Leg Press, when all I wanted him to do was show me how to use the squat rack :(. And he spent 10 minutes trying to convince me that I couldn't do it because I hadn't done it before. Eventually I just used the little barbells but will ask someone else to show me next time squats are on the agenda
  • Kap10
    Kap10 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    People having conversations across the gym, I was with my personal trainer and another (David Haye lookalike) decide to train his client from behind me, however his client was across the gym behind my trainer. I complained.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    The only time I was really angry was when an old lady, who had seen me doing a circuit with no rest because I'd seen her watching me, decided to ask me the time whilst I was doing double unders.

In the confusion of being interrupted, I looked at my watch, that only told me my heart rate, looked at her while I figured out how I was going to explain that I don't know the time without using the F word, but luckily her friend quickly pointed out to her that there was a clock on the wall.
  • lauraatkinson85
    lauraatkinson85 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Either:

When there's PLENTY of room in the group exercise studio, and people set their Bodypump equipment basically on top of mine -.-

When people are so selfish that they basically smash me out of the way during Aerobics.

Me too - or everyone is so hell bent on getting all the equipment they need when they get into a pump class that they're practically elbowing you out of the way.

Why not see what your class buddy is going to be lifting and maybe share the weights between you?

x
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    The people that put weight discs away: seriously, there is one place I will definitely NOT need weights and that's on the rack.
    The one place I definitely will need SOME weights is on a machine or bar.
    Ok, it's a bit of a lottery, but most of the time the person before takes off the same ones I'm about to put on.
    Fair enough if it's a super-heavy weight some would have trouble with.

;)
  • Revcminor
    Options
    There are two women at my gym who work out together all the time. They always pick two treadmills and talk at the top of their lungs the whole time they are on them. It makes me crazy!

Then there is a guy who stares openly at me while I'm on the elliptical machine. I know I don't look good so not sure what he is staring at. It makes me so uncomfortable.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    ^ Oh yeah, there's been a couple of times when you get those people that kick the treadmill with every step. 45 mins of THUD THUD THUD THUD THUD is usually enough to P(*& me off too.
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    My apartment complex has a gym with tvs in it. Every once in a while some bro that is deaf from blasting his crappy music comes in. He hogs up the weight machines texting on his phone, leaves his sweaty clothing everywhere (Gross! That is a leg press, not your laundry hamper) and turns the tv up so loud I CANNOT hear my ear buds (I'm not exaggerating, I cannot hear one iota of my music).

"OH MY GOSH HE MADE IT DOWN THE FIELD AND GOT TACKLED UNBELIEVABLE!" at full volume for the 45 min I'm there. Next time I see him, I'm going to have a talk with him. I'll be more understanding if he is ACTUALLY deaf, but I suspect that he's just totally unaware that he's giving everyone a head ache.
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    For the record, I don't mind seeing the little kids at the gym but all the parents near here have complete control over their kids. Usually mom will hop on a treadmill and dad will be doing weights. The 5 year old or older will usually hang with one of the parents mimicking them with no weights on the last machine. If they bring younger ones, one parent works out while the other one puts the kid on the bike or the treadmill and let's them go crazy. I know several of the parents do it to wear their kids out. They always come at off hours and have been super polite about it. In turn, the rest of us are more than happy to leave sponge bob on the tv for the evening. Other thing is, the kids here all know to speak in whispers and to leave the other gym visitors alone.

I think if you're going to have kids at the gym, that's the way to do it right.
  • PortiaZabrina
    PortiaZabrina Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    LOL.... that's stupid. Grandma should go back to knitting.
    See there is a difference between growning because your lifting heavy and people like this...(One of my buds just posted this on facebook, omggg i laughed) :

Buddy...You're At The Gym..Your Underarmoured Head To Toe..Your Flows Tied Back With A Bandana...And Your Screaming While Shoulder Pressing The 20 Lb Dumbells...#youlooklikea****ingidiot #YMCAmoncton

Someone: hey now *kitten*, not everyone can be as jacked as the rest of us :P c'mon now, show a lil respect :P

Friend of mine: Haha no man, it's not like when people start the gym, and it wasn't grunting or breathing, it was a 100lb man screaming like he got raped by Kobe Bryant..

Once, I went to the gym, and I kid you not, this way way way overweight lady was sitting/standing beside her friend on the weight machines, just *****ing at 1000 words a minute about how she wants to be skinny and blah blah blah. Her friend completed the circuit, and she never got on a machine ONCE. Her friend then goes to the mats to do some pilates and whatever, and she just sat there, still *****ing about her problems! People like that i'd love to just slap in the face... my god. stfu or do something about your problem.

Other then that, people that just stand around off to the side waiting for me to get off a machine, when i've told them before, if u need it, just let me know because I'll be on it for a while yet. I really don't mind if you use it for 10 seconds. But my god, don't stand there pretending to tie your shoe for 5 minutes. No one is that retarded.

And people that don't wipe their equipment after.. How the **** can they miss the signs that are posted every 2 feet beats me. Kinda gross.
  • LilacSnow
    LilacSnow Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    And my BIGGEST pet peeve of all is when someone points out to me the fact that I'm overweight....REALLY, thanks, because I didn't notice and hhhhmmmm.....guess that is why I'm at the gym!!

what?! under what circumstances would someone say that?
  • TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Dude does curls with 25lb weights and just drops them on the floor EVERY. SINGLE. TIME! All my rage! If you can't lift the weight and put it down with proper form, then DON'T lift it! He's not even jacked or anything! I wish the gym people would say something to him, but if I say something he seems like the type that would want to get physical. Not a worry on my end, but I don't want to have to put these paws on the brother for offering a little friendly advice :)
  • LilacSnow
    LilacSnow Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Whoever turns on the food network while I am doing cardio...

YES.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Deadlifting a personal best. First I saw red, then I saw a myriad of colours. :D
  • AnnaMC1977
    Options
    I hate "sitters". People who just sit on the machines, not using them while they text on their phones. SO annoying!
  • rbartlett9671
    rbartlett9671 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I go to the small gym at our apartment complex so it's a relatively small environment. I hate it when people come in and then turn the TV volume up to the max. There's no reason to do it - at most there's 2-3 people in there at any time, most on the treadmill, so there's no other noise to compete with it.

It's so loud I have to almost turn the volume up to the max on my iPod to drown it out. What really gets me is when they go home and leave the TV on at full blast. If I'm on the treadmill, I can't just stop to turn the volume down and then go back to what I was doing.
  • loliblullama
    loliblullama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm new to the gym but it really irked me when I was sat on the bike and the woman sprayed the machine behind me with disinfectant and sprayed me like all over my back my hair my face and the wench didn't even apologise. Eugh, I was itching for hours. :angry:
  • tcatcarson
    tcatcarson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    There were 4 guys, friends, helping each other workout the other night. I swear I have seen teenage girls in McDonalds check their phones less than these guys were. Between the four of them it was easily 10% exercise and 90% phone.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    looking at my car