what's made you see red at the gym?

Options

Replies

• coastie_wife07
    Options
    Getting advice from non trainers. I was learning how to do the deadlift and finally got it right (without rolling my back) and one guy comes up to me after the trainer has left and was telling me that I need to keep moving not to take a 60sec break, to do something like sit ups inbetween sets. I thanked him, but moved on with the program I am following.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I hate everyone at the gym that isn;t me.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Usually young captain upper bodies who have never squatted beep all, hogging the weights, the benches and sitting watching or listening to something on their mobile phones, or chatting...when I cannot do what I need to in the allotted time because some douchewads are arsing around in the gym, then I see BRIGHT RED!!!
  • StrongAtLast
    StrongAtLast Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I would've told her to bite me.

I can't afford the gym anymore but I go running or cycling every day. When construction workers say obscene things as I run past I ream them out. My threshold for things like that is about as low as it can get. Maybe I wouldn't have told an old lady to bite me when I had my fancy gym membership but I'd do it in an instant now. I'm getting in shape and won't tolerate anyone else's bs while I do it.

Ha! I have the flying finger when I bicycling outside to rude people...
  • ChunkieNuts
    ChunkieNuts Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    There were 4 guys, friends, helping each other workout the other night. I swear I have seen teenage girls in McDonalds check their phones less than these guys were. Between the four of them it was easily 10% exercise and 90% phone.

yes ^^ this too...
    and also the guys who constantly check themselves out in the mirrors, they do fancy moves to the mirors /pull up their tops and look at their abs in the mirrors /do facial poses in the mirrors Arrrrrrrh FFFFFFFKSAKES grow a pair of freakin balls!!!!
  • RunnerBlonde808
    RunnerBlonde808 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Tonight a lady was mean to me in a class. I don't understand why some people feel the need to cut other people down for no reason. We were in HEAT class (circuits and running laps. it's hard) We were only in the warmup and she commented with her face all scrunched up that if I'm sweating already maybe I better take an easier class. I told her I don't need an easier class. I also informed her that I was sweating because I'd already been working out for 3 hours and I had just finished doing 12 miles. She rolled her eyes at me and said she was just trying to help. I replied that I didn't ask for or want her "help" and that if she knew how hard it was for someone 285 lbs to come into a hard class like this and do their best among the fit people then she would probably keep her opinions to herself. She walked away with her tail between her legs. I was smug later when I noticed she had to sit out for at least one circuit because she was having a hard time keeping up. Who needs the easier class now? She was looking pretty sweaty too. I didn't even care when she was talking about me to her friend during the cool down. You know what? I'd love to see her try to do just one of my workouts.

Seriously?! What gives anyone the right to say this crap! I just don't get it. Kudos to you for standing up for yourself. I probably wouldn't have been so nice. I would have told her to **** off! lol.
  • Trudyr777
    Trudyr777 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    My most recent issue at the gym was an altercation I had with a "woman", I use the term loosely. I was lifting alone, wanted to go up in weight so I asked the guy on the bench next to me for a spot. He was cool, helped me through the last of my work out and that was that. Well I guess his GF was chatting with her friend on the cardio deck and saw all this go down. She apparently got her panties in a twist and came over to be all lovey dovey with him once I had moved on to my next exercise. When she returned to her friend, they kept talking about me and pointing at me. I was trying not to pay attention but my gym isn't that big and it's all mirrored. Finally I had had enough. I got up to go confront her (re: through her through a wall) and her BF grabbed my arm and apologized for her and asked me to just let it go. Not once during the entire night did I see her lift anything. I was so mad!!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Either:

When there's PLENTY of room in the group exercise studio, and people set their Bodypump equipment basically on top of mine -.-

When people are so selfish that they basically smash me out of the way during Aerobics.

If I've ever smashed you out of the way, I'm terribly sorry, I'm just very uncoordinated and have poor body awareness, I'll be more careful!!!
  • thechubner
    thechubner Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Tonight a lady was mean to me in a class. I don't understand why some people feel the need to cut other people down for no reason. We were in HEAT class (circuits and running laps. it's hard) We were only in the warmup and she commented with her face all scrunched up that if I'm sweating already maybe I better take an easier class. I told her I don't need an easier class. I also informed her that I was sweating because I'd already been working out for 3 hours and I had just finished doing 12 miles. She rolled her eyes at me and said she was just trying to help. I replied that I didn't ask for or want her "help" and that if she knew how hard it was for someone 285 lbs to come into a hard class like this and do their best among the fit people then she would probably keep her opinions to herself. She walked away with her tail between her legs. I was smug later when I noticed she had to sit out for at least one circuit because she was having a hard time keeping up. Who needs the easier class now? She was looking pretty sweaty too. I didn't even care when she was talking about me to her friend during the cool down. You know what? I'd love to see her try to do just one of my workouts.

Wow, I'm glad I don't go to some of the gyms you guys are talking about. (Where people make fun of you) - where I work out everyone I've encountered has been very supportive. "Oh I noticed you lost weight. You're doing really good, how much have you lost? congratulations" that sort of thing. If anyone has a negetive opinion about me like "oh she shoudln't be in this class - she's too fat for the gym" they keep it to themselves. I'm with the ones who say "I'm at the gym to work out, not socialize" there are people I've come to know and like and I'll talk to them, but when class starts we're in the zone. I guess my pet peeve is people who talk through a whole class and don't put any effort into the actual workout because they're too busy socializing.
  • thechubner
    thechubner Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I hate everyone at the gym that isn;t me.
    HA! you sound like my husband.
  • PicklePlum
    PicklePlum Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    So, I am still harboring some ill feelings, but it will pass eventually :wink:

While I was lifting the other day a lady, most likely in her 60's wearing jeans and a fancy blouse, decided to school me on the weight room manners...

lady: "will you please stop being so loud?!"

Me: "I'm sorry, but its hard to be quiet when lifting heavy. I didn't do it on purpose."

Lady: "WELL, MOST OF US AROUND HERE ARE NOT TRYING TO BE MACHO AND LIFT TOO MUCH WEIGHT!! Can you PLEASE STOP!"

me: ............" Uh... ok?"

And lady then goes around the gym complaining about me to the other grandmas while I finished my workout... steaming mad.

What has happened at the gym to make you see red?!?

Wow...I would have been so upset!! I really hate it when people cry about weights being "unladylike." :noway:

I haven't experienced anything this upsetting yet.

In my old college gym there was a time limit on the cardio machines and girls would constantly camp machines and ask the sweatiest one (me) "Are you almost done?!?!" It was the culture but still annoying.

Now I do my cardio days in my building's gym (which is small but nice) during off hours and haven't had a major annoyance yet.
  • fitmama419
    Options
    People that talk on their phone while they are working out, despite the signs everywhere that say "Do NOT talk on your phone in the fitness center".

People that come in in street clothes, despite the signs that say, "Proper footwear and attire are required".

People that don't wipe down their machines.

I think that's it for right now.
  • reasnableblonde
    reasnableblonde Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Oh i forgot:

When teachers call me out in front of the work out class for looking at my watch. It's actually an HRM...

I had this happen! She didn't completely call me out, but she sort of laughed when she "caught" me looking at my "watch". I went up to her after class and explained it was my HRM. She didn't see the strap around my chest because I was wearing a t-shirt, not a tanktop.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    The stupid cardio bunny girls who like to walk on the treadmills next to each other and comment on how sweaty I am from just lifting for an hour and a half and then running 2 miles. STFU. Go do something that will actually make your thunder thighs go away instead of commenting on me actually busting my a$s everyday.
  • muffle1969
    muffle1969 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    ...people coming to the pool and just messing around in it. I'm not talking about the neighborhood pool. I'm talking about the lap pool at the gym. I'll be swimming laps, and a bunch of teenages come in and use lanes to race and splash at each other, including lanes people are already in. I have no problem sharing a lane, but at least try to stay out of my way as I try to stay out of yours!

There was also one afternoon about 8 people came in at once and started to just play in the pool...we're talking grownups and some older teens. Again, some got in the lane I was in and got completely in my way...there was nowhere for anyone to swim laps. I complained to management, but nothing was done. Phooey!
  • freya33
    freya33 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I do spin classes and usually enjoy them, really hard work but great fun Recently I have tried the morning classes ( being just retired I now have the time) but there are a couple of women who just chat the whole way through. They do not seem to put any effort in and never break into a sweat. Then today one womean kept on anwering her phone ....,. leave it in your locker!!!!! These classes are always fully booked and you have to ring up bertween 6.30 and 7.30 am the day before to stand a chance of getting a place. If they do not want to do the workout they should not take the place of people who do.
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I experienced my very first "Seeing Red" moment at the gym, so this thread is perfect today!

My trainer and I were working out and needed a barbell. There are 3 in the gym we work out, and this one guy was doing his "circuit", I guess. He hadn't been at that bar for a good 10 minutes, but left his water bottle under it to claim it. We asked if we could borrow the bar for our next set and he said, "NO, I have one more set to do!" So, we modified the exercise and used dumbells. No big deal, but ne never did get back on that barbell the rest of the time we were there, which was at least another 20 minutes!

Seriously? If you've touched a piece of equipment nobody else can touch it until you leave the gym? WTF ever happened to sharing, you selfish *kitten*?

OH, and naturally I murmured something about him being a *kitten* under my breath - and my trainer knows him, of course. Darnit! LOL
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I live in a smaller town, so our facility isn't that big.

One morning when I came into the gym (I usually one of the first people there in the morning) almost every piece of free weight equipment in the place was still loaded:

Smith Machine
    Incline Bench
    Preacher Curl
    Calf Raises
    Leg Press
    Dumbells on the Floor

How the F*** can every machine be loaded. I complained to the MGR, and am about done there.

I was a member at my old gym (Gold's) before it got bought out for 5 years. In the first 3 months at this place I've had to unload free weights more than I did in 5 years at Golds.

I can't believe the lack of gym ettiquette and respect for other members some people have.
  • LeilaFace
    LeilaFace Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I was the only one in the aerobic area doing floor work, to be nice I picked a far corner. This lady with her fancy hair and make up starts jump roping, no joke 2 feet from me. THERE WAS A WHOLE ROOM. I had to move because I thought she was going to hit me ... WWWHHHHYYYYY???
  • reasnableblonde
    reasnableblonde Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    My gym has rubberized plates and a special floor where it's okay to deadlift, push press, etc and then drop the weights. However, out on the general floor with regular weights, it's not okay to just drop them willy-nilly. It's disruptive and destructive to just drop them.

My big pet peeve is the people on their cell phones on the treadmills and elliptical machines, and the influx of very young high school "athletes" who work out together but clearly don't know what they're doing.