Happiness is a Myth

Options

Replies

• Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Stumbling-Happiness-Daniel-Gilbert/dp/1400077427 I really like this book. It's about our perception of happiness. Really great read, even if it's mostly psychology and doesn't teach you at all how to be happy.

Teach you how to be happy. LOL see this is a perfect example. Happiness isnt a choice something you have done is making you happy and sooner or later that will dissolve. Sure you can keep doing those little things over and over again but our life becomes this endless pusuit of happiness

Dissolve into what? You assume everyone starts at unhappy.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    http://www.theoldtrouts.org/

an amazing puppet show that addresses this issue.

That looks freakin' amazing!
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Seriously? Emo kid why so Emo? But since we're going deep here I'll leave you with this:

" 'Sometimes I believe the universe wants to be noticed....
    'I think the universe is improbably biased toward consciousness, that it rewards intelligence in part because the universe enjoys it's elegance being observed. And who am I, living in the middle of history, to tell the universe that it - or my observation of it - is temporary?' " - The Fault in Our Stars, John Green

So, who are you tell us that happiness is a myth? You don't live anyone else's reality but your own. If you're unhappy, you have the power to change it. But telling us that happiness is a myth is only hurting you and continuing a delusion that only you believe in. It's not changing my impression of happiness or my perception of my feelings. Maybe you should be like everyone else and try to achieve personal happiness for yourself. It certainly would be more productive.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Your life must be so depressing.
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    We bite into a warm chocolate chip cookie for 5 seconds of bliss.

You contradict yourself there. If even for 5 seconds, that is a moment of happiness, ergo...happiness does exist, even if it is in small moments in time rather than an extended period.
  • KatKisses
    KatKisses Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I feel sorry for you if thats what you beleive. I am extrememly happy everyday of my life.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    My life is awesome and I'm happy 99% of the time. Even the crap stuff is good because it gives me a frame of reference for all the other awesome that is coming my way.

In short - happy.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Smoke a Bowl....and make this man your idol...
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS9PwJz13PrgTfYSk4UG46-y4M6W8nQ3g2lJOrxxp3CgrKQv1jI
  • Bdmiller42
    Options
    Depressing way to look at life.
  • vvanm
    vvanm Posts: 157
    Options
    Happiness can be as simple as relishing one great chocolate chip cookie. It is also relative. Realize that you have so much more than many to be happy about. Volunteering to help others can be happiness. Work may suck, but it helps pay the bills and there is life outside of work that you control. Find your passion; make a difference; smile. The very act of smiling makes people happier. Rescue a dog and they will teach you about happiness. My chihuahua puppy, found starving in the streets, is curled up next to me warm, well-fed, and is one happy dog. One dog, one difference; the happiness adds up.
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    You can choose to be happy or choose to be miserable. Eat the damn cake.
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Being Happy is a myth...Its an illusion to what we all are trying to attain. In everything we do in our daily lives its this deluded concept that what we are doing can somehow make us happy. We go to our jobs to slave away and earn a few dollars to buy stuff. We bite into a warm chocolate chip cookie for 5 seconds of bliss. A cigarette, a drink, a relationship, SEX. None of it is happiness its this false short lived instant... a brief moment. Its all a lie

The cake is also a lie...

NO - the cake is delicious and moist.

It's the female orgasm, that's the myth << Movie Quote! Who knows the line? >>
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    If you believe happiness is a destination, then you will never be happy.

Happiness is a moving target...it is motion. There is no STATIC happiness.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    All trolls are unhappy...:cry:

untrue! im quite content :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Being Happy is a myth...Its an illusion to what we all are trying to attain. In everything we do in our daily lives its this deluded concept that what we are doing can somehow make us happy. We go to our jobs to slave away and earn a few dollars to buy stuff. We bite into a warm chocolate chip cookie for 5 seconds of bliss. A cigarette, a drink, a relationship, SEX. None of it is happiness its this false short lived instant... a brief moment. Its all a lie

I would argue that you find happiness a lie because you look for something to make you happy, rather than finding happiness in the world around you and in what you have and do.

But I would also ask why you think happiness isn't real if it's short lived? The definition of happiness has nothing to do with the duration of the emotion.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    We should all live in a box and drink rain water.

But I don't WANT rain water, I want CAKE! Now I'm *really* not happy.
    Don't use a bowl to drink your rain water, that's for losers.
  • kvanderbeek1
    kvanderbeek1 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Happiness or joy can be found in many things, small things, big things. I'm happy this morning that Hurricane Sandy hooked around my city and we didn't get hit as badly as many others. I find joy in the fact that my husband smiles when I walk into a room and every day, tells me I'm beautiful. It made me smile on Saturday, when I was raking leaves, to see so many different colours in them, and then to have the neighbourhood toddlers all want to help me with the raking (making a bigger mess) whilst in their halloween costumes. Getting a bag of my favourite British candy in a care package from my sister makes me smile! Life is made up of good and bad, bitter and sweet.

I'm a Christian, but I'm not going to preach. Jesus said, "I come that you may have life in its fullest", not "I come so you will be happy all the time". I take that to mean, that living life fully, is experiencing both the good and the bad. The Verve's "Bittersweet Symphony" is one of my favourite songs.

I'm sorry that you seem to be so unhappy. .I hope that you can find joy in the little things that make life worth living.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    please tell me you do not work at Suicide Hotline...........
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    “I see in the fight club the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential and I see squandering. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables, slaves with white collars, advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy **** we don't need. We're the middle children of the history man, no purpose or place, we have no Great war, no Great depression, our great war is a spiritual war, our great depression is our lives, we've been all raised by television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars, but we won't and we're slowly learning that fact. and we're very very pissed off.”
  • kvanderbeek1
    kvanderbeek1 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Well said.