Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

What is the nicest thing you've done for anyone?

In the spirit of "what is..." posts:

I had flowers delivered to my best friend at her job for her 38th birthday because she had told me no one had ever sent her flowers, ever, for anything.

Replies

• fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    I am giving a quilt to a lady at church who recently lost her daughter. I can't imagine what she is going through and am hoping a quilt might give her a small measure of comfort.

Love the idea of giving flowers to a friend! I bet she loved it!
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    One of the first things that comes to mind... I paid for my mother-in-law to come to Washington, D.C. with me for a week a couple of years back. She is an avid history fan, loves U.S. history especially, and she'd never been there. For as long as I've known her she's talked about how much she wanted to go. I know she had a fantastic time and talks about it often.

Like this thread, BTW. Thanks, OP!
  • Wabbit05
    Wabbit05 Posts: 434 Member
    I had my mother come live with me after her boyfriend and business partner left suddenly (I mean packed his bags, left a note on the table, and was gone by daylight). She was so devastated and so hurt, I couldn't see her pulling through it alone. Besides, my husband was deployed, I was about to start school again and had a newborn. I could use all the help I could get! So it worked out perfectly for both of us.
  • Prisme
    Prisme Posts: 65 Member
    when my daughter was about 6 she gave her great grandmother a heart shaped box of chocolates for Valentines day. She was so excited receiving chocolates as she said no had ever given her chocolates on Valentines Day. After we ate the chocolates she put the heart shaped box in her china cabinet to keep.
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    An abused cat came into the shelter I worked at and I didn't take a day off for four months so he wouldn't be put to sleep. Finally took him home where he lived a happy 6 years before I lost him to cancer.
    A friend of mine does not have a lot of money and all her daughter wanted was an Alvin toy from Alvin and the chipmonks. my kid had one he didn't care about that still had the tags on it and I mailed out for her daughters birthday.
    Right now I am caring for a friends horse who I saved from having to be put down with a lot of time and care put into it....
    doing nice things feels good....
  • I provided a young single mother with money to go to college as she danced for me on stage.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    An old car and computer for the son of a single mother who is starting college.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    I gave some people a baby.
  • lousoulbody
    lousoulbody Posts: 663 Member
    On my Grandmothers 90th birthday, i brought a bucket of 90 red roses, and about 12 different vases, her little apartment was covered in a sea of red & smelled beautifully,....she bragged about that day for a very long time. :flowerforyou:

She passed at the age of 96, what a wonderful life!!:heart:
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    I've never told my mother what an *kitten* she is.
    I've never told my father how much I hated him (not anymore).
    I've never told my brother he's a freaking loser who needs to grow the f up and be a responsible adult (he's older then me).

I figure these are the nicest things I've ever done. Sometimes silence is kindness.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Took in my emotionally battered nieces (alcohol and drug addicted parents) instead of them going to a foster home.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    I am paying for my sister to attend college, because it's the right thing to do.
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    I don't know if it is THE nicest thing I've ever done, but I'd say it is high on the list, and I'm sure my mother would agree.
    My mom is a huge fan of Elvis Presley, but had never been to Graceland. So, one year, just after xmas, my sister and I 'kidnapped' my mom, and took her to Graceland. She thought we were going to a flea market about an hour away, and we'd be gone most of the day. But then we started crossing state lines that would make no sense. We stayed in Memphis for a few days. I think we made her year. :happy:
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    My ex-wife had lost her job and had no money to buy presents for our kids for Christmas. I gave her an unsolicited $200 out of my Christmas bonus so she could get them presents and not have to lose any face with them. At the same time I also loaned her $500 to keep the lights on at her house, which she later paid back.
  • know_your_worth
    know_your_worth Posts: 481 Member
    I provided a young single mother with money to go to college as she danced for me on stage.

hahahhahaaha
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    I gave birth to them.
  • rsm1972
    rsm1972 Posts: 283
    I had bought a woman and her child dinner, when I was eating dinner:):) I have sent flowers to a friend because she was having a very bad day. I have gave my sister and brother in law money in the bank account without them knowing it.
  • Colonel_Brandon
    Colonel_Brandon Posts: 256 Member
    I forgave myself for being human.
  • I helped my friend's dad apply for disability benefits after he had to stop working due to severe arthritis in both of his legs. He was awarded $20,000 plus $2,000 a month about 10 days later. They were about to lose their house, and the money helped them keep it.
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Years ago I worked with a woman that was dirt poor. Christmas rolled around and she was not able to get her son anything. I talked to a friend of mine and we shopped for him. Christmas eve we delivered 3 bags of wrapped gifts to her house after her son was sleeping. She cried! I told her I would never reveal to anyone that the gifts came from anyone other than her. And now here I am telling the world!! :laugh:

I've done other things, but this is the one thing I think made a mark. :smile: