What is the nicest thing you've done for anyone?

Options

Replies

• StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Wow, yes. Even more awesome people. Thank you for all you do, all of you.
  • RubyRubixcube
    RubyRubixcube Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I paid for a womans shopping once. She was infront of me and looked pretty stressed out and had a disgruntled looking toddler. Her card declined a few times and she was about to burst into tears... I told the cashier to just put her stuff with my shopping (her bill came to about $130) she said not to worry about it and that she'd come back later and do it and made up what I'm pretty sure was a lie about her husband not transferring her money for shopping. I just said to buy her kids a treat when it transferred and I paid for it, I got about 1 million thankyou's from her. At that point in my life it was a nice change for me to be the one in a position to help someone who needed it

it was time consuming and the line for the check out was building up right before dinner time.. I think it helped out alot of people
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I'm a taxi driver and a few weeks ago I was sent to a shopping centre for a fare. When I got arrived there was an elderly woman and one in her 30's. The 30 yo was pushing the elderly lady and this made me mad. She was crying and this made me madder that a person could do this to an elderly person. Even though I was there for the 30yo I took the elderly home and not charging her.

I made sure that the other person wouldn't get a taxi and I did what we call a no job.
  • JosephVitte
    JosephVitte Posts: 2,039
    Options
    I do volunteer work with rape and sexual assault victims. It's my way of using my own experiences to pay it forward. If I wasn't properly educated on rape culture, I'd probably still be thinking these things were my fault. Unfortunately, not everyone is aware of that, meaning they are in that lonely place. Just my way of trying to give back.

Thank you, from what I've learned, or was told, 1 out of every 4 woman will be rape or sexually assaulted in there lifetime! No number is good, in my opinion, but to think 25% of woman walking this earth, this happens to, is sickening.

I'm sure there's a lot less of a percentage, that do what you've done.

I am grateful there are people as strong as you!!!
  • midschool22
    midschool22 Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I pushed a full cart of groceries and loaded them into a car of an elderly gentleman with a walker.
  • RixxyRikaa
    RixxyRikaa Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I do volunteer work with rape and sexual assault victims. It's my way of using my own experiences to pay it forward. If I wasn't properly educated on rape culture, I'd probably still be thinking these things were my fault. Unfortunately, not everyone is aware of that, meaning they are in that lonely place. Just my way of trying to give back.

Thank you, from what I've learned, or was told, 1 out of every 4 woman will be rape or sexually assaulted in there lifetime! No number is good, in my opinion, but to think 25% of woman walking this earth, this happens to, is sickening.

Yes, that is the current statistic. Also keep in mind that a huge number of assaults go unreported because of embarrassment, shame, fear of being blamed, etc. And also remember that it isn't just women; it can happen to anyone, of any gender, and any ethnicity. I do what I do for those people that have yet to find their strength to speak.
  • JosephVitte
    Options

Yes, that is the current statistic. Also keep in mind that a huge number of assaults go unreported because of embarrassment, shame, fear of being blamed, etc. And also remember that it isn't just women; it can happen to anyone, of any gender, and any ethnicity. I do what I do for those people that have yet to find their strength to speak.

I know it's not just woman, there are men in prison going through the same thing, they might have it worse too, because everyone knows they've been raped, and or getting raped, and it's not an "in the closet" type thing.............then others want them too.........any gender can be raped, even transgenders. I know it may sound wrong, my heart goes out to the woman a little more though, right or wrong, it just does, sorry :(
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    You all are the best. :flowerforyou:
  • barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I have always done whatever I can to help people in need...however, the one thing I have done, that has effected a number of people, is to volunteer to adjust my schedule at work to accomodate a new AA group that wanted to use our facilities for a weekly meeting...we do not get revenue from this, but it is needed in the community, and there was no one else where I work, that even considered helping out with this issue....this day in question, every week, was a 10 hour day for me, and really wasn't in my job description...but somebody needed to stay late and let the group members in and lock up and set the alarm at night....

another thing I have done at work, is to help my co-worker in Med Records when she had other things to do, or go to, not getting paid for the extra time...allowed to log it as FLEX, however, I have so much of my regular duties that I am unable to take the time off....I can only get OT, if my director askes me to directly...and of course when it is requested of me, I jump for it....

this same co-worker, gives me a hard time almost every day, for some reason or other...usually because I help someone else that works in my dept with something....she keeps saying that someone else is responsible for helping them!!!! I just try to be a TEAM PLAYER ...we are all here to help each other, and to help our clients too...I work in a substance abuse/mental health clinic (TRIBAL) as a biller, so you see, these extra things I do, are completely extra...but I can not say NO when one of my co-workers need help with something,and I have have the expertice or knowledge to help them....even the office manager asks me for information, or help, and she gives me a hard time also...(she can never remember the passwords to the front desk computer if, for some reason, she is told to sit there...I always have to log her in...LOL!!!!)

OH, and I'm responsible for getting in the revenue, and about 80 people currently depend on me for payroll...I've been here for 15 years...
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    Recently, an ex of an ex-friend of mine moved into town. Lots of drama went on and people she trusted let her down a lot. We never got along and we used to not talk at all, but she came here from out of town and had no one to help so we started talking and my mom and I offered to let her stay in our house when she needed a place to stay. I gave her about $50 to $100 total when she needed money and tried my best to help her get places in the area since she was new. She ended up leaving, but I also let her pay for my food and paid her cash, $100+ to try to help her get home when she decided it was best for her to leave. She ended up being a very nice person and it was all a misunderstanding, so now I have a new friend too. :]
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I gave some people a baby.

:heart: That's just about the most awesome gift you could possibly give! :heart:
  • jpe71
    jpe71 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I tutored a woman for her GED, going from third grade performance to passing, in a year and change. Took her to ER when boyfriend knocked her down, gave her money to fly home on, to see her folks. Last I heard, she was bound for vocational school, the best choice for her, given how much effort she was willing to put in; not enough to get her through college. She'd left the guy, and was on her way to getting life together.

I also enjoy playing Christmas fairy, sometimes in unusual months.
  • tmbowen12
    tmbowen12 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I was behind a woman in Kmart who needed medicine and pillows for her baby and realized she didn't have enough money for them so I paid for them and had my daughters run it out to her in the parking lot.

This isn't for humans, but I'm a foster mommy for a local animal rescue.
  • JosephVitte
    Options
    @jpe71................loved the whole comment, but especially this one "I also enjoy playing Christmas fairy, sometimes in unusual months." That's how it's suppose to be done!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    When I was living in Utah and my family was still in Nevada, I was talking to my mom on the phone one day and she told me about a woman she knew who was in Nevada and was just frantic because her brother was in the ER in Salt Lake and they didn't expect him to live. She couldn't leave her elderly father to go to her brother and was just hysterical about him dying all alone. So I volunteered to go. It wasn't until I got halfway there that my mom called me back and told me he was homeless off and on and was in the final stages of AIDS. I slowed my car a bit. I didn't know either of these people. I thought about it for few minutes and then knew how I would feel if it was my brother, so I went. They ended up transferring him to a VA hospital. He couldn't talk and was slightly puzzled by the woman sitting by his bedside, holding his hand, chattering at him and wiping the crap from his mustache when he coughed it up. It took three days. He passed around 11:00 pm on the third night. I was singing to him when he took his last breath. But the way he looked at me before he closed his eyes for the last time made it all worth it. I met his sister a year later and to this day, there isn't anything she wouldn't do for me, but really, it was my privilege.

You are an angel...what a wonderful experience for you to share. :heart:
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I try to do lots of little things to show my son how nice it feels to help others. Buying the food for the car behind us in the drive thru, paying another car's bridge toll, handing out care bags (snacks, lip balm, water, deodorant, toothbrush) to the homeless guys on the freeway off ramps... but the best one we did was to Adopt a Family last Christmas. I was given a sheet with the family member's sex, age and "wants" and "needs". We were encouraged to buy at least one "want" and one "need" for each family member, as well as a gift card to a grocery store so they could buy the fixin's for Xmas dinner.
    The list were so humbling... the dad needed work socks, a flashlight, gel pens for work, and a first aid kit. No "wants". mom needed laundry soap, bath towels, batteries... and her wants were so minor. A pair of kitchen tongs, spatulas, some bowls. The kids (a 4 yr old girl and a 3 month old boy) needed warm clothes, underwear, socks- things we all just take for granted that we have.
    Add in some fun toys, a feeding chair for the baby, and some other things... I couldn't help myself and I bought EVERYTHING!! Along with a $75 Safeway gift card for dinner shopping... I just went for it! And I wrapped them all with nice paper and pretty bows- and delivered them to the organization that delivers. I felt so good as I drove away, hoping that family had the first (of hopefully many to come) wonderful Xmas's together... it was such a joy and I plan to do it every year! I'll never know who the family was, but if I see a little girl cruising around this winter season in a cute pink and leopard jacket and scarf-- I'll wave to her and know that I helped a family that needed it more than I do!
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I bought my brother and his wife a car. I have given money, groceries, and other things to people who are in need, most of the time anonymously. Better not to toot your own horn.
  • thoseblueeyes
    thoseblueeyes Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I have always made it very clear to my children that I feel that God has us here on earth to look after each other and to take care of each other.
    Last year during Superbowl I was at the store checking out when the lady next to me in the next line didn't have her wallet. She had a screaming baby on her hip. She looked like she wanted to scream or cry so I decided to hand my debit card to the cashier to pay for her stuff.

Also a few months after 9/11 there was a few firemen and police officers that was trying to get back to NY for some event for firemen and police officers. Since I worked for an airline I gave all my buddy passes to them so they could get to this event. (It was my honor to give them these passes)

I love to see people smile when we are kind to each other. I am a very proud mom of my children. They apply the same concept I do and they serve others with all their hearts.
  • heidimaggott78
    Options
    I bought my mom's friend (someone I had never met) a new cell phone after I heard that she had been mugged and hers had been stolen.
  • JayStu
    JayStu Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    The nicest thing I have ever done for my family is paid my sister's rent for a year and a half(ex husband troubles).
    The nicest thing I have done for a stranger was when I was 16 and found $500+ on the ground in a restaurant I was working in and a customer went to pay and was frantically searching his pockets and I gave him what ended up being his money.
    And currently I am an avid blood donor and soon to be bone marrow donor.