What is the nicest thing you've done for anyone?

Options

Replies

• petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Nothing. I'm a horrible mean person! j/k

I do love to help people out but I don't know which would be the nicest thing.
    I'm very kind to animals. I stayed with a dying bird once until he passed-he'd broken his neck and was scared, but hat's not quite the same thing.

I love to make soup for people when they are sick!
    I should post some recipes, it's almost cold season!!

Sending flowers is a nice thing. They are so expensive sometimes but some people really love them so it is worth it, yes?

I love your cat pics, BTW
  • CPAUTISM24
    CPAUTISM24 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    That is a tough question. When my son died on February 22, 2009 I was devastated. My son had unconditional love for everyone. I wanted to keep his legacy alive. So, on the 22nd of each month I do a random act of kindness to someone who does not know me. I was at McDonalds on 22nd, and there was a family there that (you could tell) had little money. There were several kids. They were going to split kids meals and dollar sandwiches. My heart went out to them. I took the mother up to the counter and said to order everyone their own meal. It was about $30. It was the best $30 I spent. The kids were so happy because they had their own toy, and no one went hungry. I challange each of you to pick a day each month to do a random act of kindness to someone you do not know. Believer me YOU WILL BE THE ONE BLESSED!:heart:
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Paid off a friend's car for her ... measly 1200 drop
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I gave some people a baby.
    The most amazing act of selflessness, ever.

I've noticed this week a homeless guy going through the rubbish bins outside my workplace. I've not had any money to give him yet but I will keep some aside and give it to him next time I see him. What really impresses me is that he's not begging, he's just going about his business.

I love to bake so that's my 'go to' response when I want to reach out to someone. I enjoy cake decorating so much I just love any opportunity to make and decorate a beautiful cake. Did one for the barista at my favourite coffee shop - she was stoked and I got a free coffee.
  • JennKie1
    JennKie1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    O.K., although I try to do nice things for others, I am at a loss as to the "nicest" thing I've ever done. I guess it's a matter of perspective and how it would affect the other person. I do remember the nicest thing anyone ever did for me, though:

I was irresponsible and ended up pregnant at 18. The "father" (for lack of a better word) immediately bailed out on me and left me on my own. I had an amazing (male) friend who actually offered to put his life on hold, marry me, and said we would tell everyone (even our parents) the baby was his. He said that way I wouldn't have to feel ashamed, I wouldn't be all alone, and my baby would have a "daddy". Of course, I couldn't let him sacrifice his own future for my mistake, so I thanked him and signed him up as Godfather instead. But, that, by far, was the most amazing thing anyone has ever done for me! If I lived to be 100, I don't think anyone would be able to top that on my list.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Last Christmas I picked a name off of a giving tree and bought a girl all the hello kitty and Justin Beiber stuff I could find. :) I spent all my money on that one little girl and didn't buy my brothers or mom and dad a present. Whoops.

One time, my mom found a name on a giving tree a few years back. A 7-year-old girl who was asking for PANTIES, not toys. My mom bought well over $1,000 dollars worth of clothes and toys. Our entire mini van was packed full of stuff. It was a very small Christmas for us, but it was so worth it.
  • BlisterLamb
    BlisterLamb Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    When I was living in Utah and my family was still in Nevada, I was talking to my mom on the phone one day and she told me about a woman she knew who was in Nevada and was just frantic because her brother was in the ER in Salt Lake and they didn't expect him to live. She couldn't leave her elderly father to go to her brother and was just hysterical about him dying all alone. So I volunteered to go. It wasn't until I got halfway there that my mom called me back and told me he was homeless off and on and was in the final stages of AIDS. I slowed my car a bit. I didn't know either of these people. I thought about it for few minutes and then knew how I would feel if it was my brother, so I went. They ended up transferring him to a VA hospital. He couldn't talk and was slightly puzzled by the woman sitting by his bedside, holding his hand, chattering at him and wiping the crap from his mustache when he coughed it up. It took three days. He passed around 11:00 pm on the third night. I was singing to him when he took his last breath. But the way he looked at me before he closed his eyes for the last time made it all worth it. I met his sister a year later and to this day, there isn't anything she wouldn't do for me, but really, it was my privilege.
  • vanessamcinnis
    vanessamcinnis Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I work at the Hospital (emergency registration). One day I was going on my supper break and I seen this lady in a wheelchair she looked lost and sore. I asked her if she was okay, she said she was looking for the cafeteria, which was really far away and down another level. I told her I was on my way to supper down there and asked her if she would like me to push her down there. She was so happy and said yes. She wanted to stop at a pantry on the way down, after asking to purchase a cookie there. She realized she didn't have any money. I told her I would buy it for her, it was no big deal...I can manage the $2.00 cookie haha. I took her down to the cafeteria. I heard her ask the cafeteria employees if it was okay for her husband to come pay for her meal and they were fine with it. When my lunch break was over I asked her if she wanted me to push her back to the department and she said yes. She was so grateful I helped her out. Some people may have just walked by her thinking it would waste their supper break. It made me feel really good about myself and the kind of employee I am.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for starting this thread. It's so nice to read about how everyone has made a difference in someone's life!:flowerforyou:
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Not me. My son.
    On his third or fourth birthday, a family friend gave him like $10-$15 to get whatever he wanted. So we headed down to the Warner Bros. Store in the mall with him, his brother in tow.
    Inside the store, he found something to buy that was absolutely perfect for him. He could not have wanted anything more. It was a figurine of Robin, of Batman and Robin, exactly like one he adored and played with at a friend's house. He was so excited.
    Unfortunately, his brother, who was only four or five years old, began to get upset when he realized his sibling was going to purchase something and he was not.
    The checkout line was long, and while we waited, he began having a fit.
    So, I turned to my wife and I said: 'I am going to take brother outside to calm him. You make the purchase and meet us there.'
    Then they did not show, for quite a while. They finally came out after about 15 minutes.
    As I asked my wife 'What took you so long?' I noticed little brother had a closed bag in his hand and a smile on his face that went from ear to ear.
    The birthday boy went straight up to his older brother and opened the bag. Inside, there was a video of a cartoon that was the older brother's favorite.
    My younger son had gone back to the shelf and returned the thing that he really wanted in order to get something that he and his brother could share together.
  • TropicalFlowerz
    TropicalFlowerz Posts: 1,990 Member
    Options
    I work at an Elementry School,...and noticed last week a little girl in cloths that were not warm enough,had holes,etc..etc.She was soo cold ,....I did'nt have alot of $,...so I went to a couple local thrift stores explained the story,and they donated really cute outfits along w/ what I bought her!!,.She now has 2 pair of cute jeans,pink sweater,some sweat shirts,sweat pants,jacket,.and 8pair of new underwear,also I crochet,and am making her a cuddly pink blanket,shes 6 yrs.old,..lives w/ her Dad (they are very poor).,.next will be school suppllies..She has no idea where these things have come from,and I like it that way,...I think I've decided to be her fairy godmother.
  • BlisterLamb
    Options
    Not me. My son.
    On his third or fourth birthday, a family friend gave him like $10-$15 to get whatever he wanted. So we headed down to the Warner Bros. Store in the mall with him, his brother in tow.
    Inside the store, he found something to buy that was absolutely perfect for him. He could not have wanted anything more. It was a figurine of Robin, of Batman and Robin, exactly like one he adored and played with at a friend's house. He was so excited.
    Unfortunately, his brother, who was only four or five years old, began to get upset when he realized his sibling was going to purchase something and he was not.
    So, I turned to my wife and I said: 'I am going to take brother outside to calm him. You make the purchase and meet us there.'
    Then they did not show, for quite a while. They finally came out after about 15 minutes.
    As I asked my wife 'What took you so long?' I noticed little brother had a closed bag in his hand and a smile on his face that went from ear to ear.
    The birthday boy went straight up to his older brother and opened the bag. Inside, there was a video of a cartoon that was the older brother's favorite.
    My younger son had gone back to the shelf and returned the thing that he really wanted in order to get something that he and his brother could share together.

Awwww....What an awesome little guy! Great job, Dad and Mom.
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I gave some people a baby.

We have a winner. Bless you.
  • BlisterLamb
    Options
    I work at an Elementry School,...and noticed last week a little girl in cloths that were not warm enough,had holes,etc..etc.She was soo cold ,....I did'nt have alot of $,...so I went to a couple local thrift stores explained the story,and they donated really cute outfits along w/ what I bought her!!,.She now has 2 pair of cute jeans,pink sweater,some sweat shirts,sweat pants,jacket,.and 8pair of new underwear,also I crochet,and am making her a cuddly pink blanket,shes 6 yrs.old,..lives w/ her Dad (they are very poor).,.next will be school suppllies..She has no idea where these things have come from,and I like it that way,...I think I've decided to be her fairy godmother.

That is so much fun and so rewarding. When my kids were little, they went to a private Christian school. There was a family there that had 3 kids attending on scholarship, and I noticed the same thing. I felt bad for them and went to the same thrift shop where I bought my kids' clothes (my 4 year old daughter had a gray wool Christian Dior suit purchased from there. My kids were very well dressed and I rarely bought new clothes) I bought wardrobes for all three kids and delivered three big bags to the school office with strict instructions that the family was not to know where they came from. They were thrilled.
  • BluenoserChick
    BluenoserChick Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Not me. My son.

Everyone's stories are great -- and it's nice to have a forum to share a little bit of self-pats on the back. This one (as I have two boys) brought a tear to my eye. What a sweetheart.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Not me. My son.

That made me tear up! And you know he didn't do it with the idea of "look how nice I am," as I often do when I am doing nice things, but just out of empathy for his brother.
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    My ex-wife had lost her job and had no money to buy presents for our kids for Christmas. I gave her an unsolicited $200 out of my Christmas bonus so she could get them presents and not have to lose any face with them. At the same time I also loaned her $500 to keep the lights on at her house, which she later paid back.

You are the RIGHT kind of ex.
  • SarahAFerguson
    SarahAFerguson Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Ahh, you all have me crying over here.

OK , so this isn't about me, but it fits right in with the topic. This past August, my daughter ran in her first Triathlon. The different age groups were staggered start so while we waited for our girl to come down the final stretch there were a pile of younger kids running to the finish. Some were in better shape than others by the end of the race. One little boy was half running, half limping and trying so hard not to cry, but the tears were flowing. His little friend was right beside him propping him up an encouraging him all the way, "don't give up, I'm here with you, I'm gonna stay right here, we'll get to the end together". Some of the other parents mentioned that the kids were 6 years old.
  • totallydevious
    totallydevious Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Ahh, you all have me crying over here.

I'M CRYING TOO! :sad: :heart:
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    On my Grandmothers 90th birthday, i brought a bucket of 90 red roses, and about 12 different vases, her little apartment was covered in a sea of red & smelled beautifully,....she bragged about that day for a very long time. :flowerforyou:

She passed at the age of 96, what a wonderful life!!:heart:

Cherish that forever!

I lost my Grandmother this past summer. Just over a day before she passed, I sent her a bouquet of lovely flowers in her favourite colour, yellow. I told my Grandfather to give her a hug and tell her I loved her. I obviously had no idea she was so close to the end, and I thought what I did would brighten the next week for her. She loved flowers and hadn't been able to go outside.

Apparently Grandma had assumed my mother had me send them, and mom had to correct her. My mother told me that Grandma said it meant so much more having been my idea. It was only then that I realized how nice the act had been.

This has been a great read.