What is the nicest thing you've done for anyone?

Options

Replies

• Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    When I was released from the hospital, I sent flowers to my 'roomie'. She was widowed and didn't have any children or any vistors during the few days I was in there with her.
  • Sweetpea472
    Sweetpea472 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    My grandmother lived with me, and I took care of her for almost 10 years before she passed away in March last year. She used to love to go gambling, so one year my mom & I took her to Tunica, MS for a weekend. I tied a birthday balloon on the handle of her wheelchair; she pretended to be embarrassed, but later she was smiling and said she'd never had so many people wish her a happy birthday. Then just a year (to the month) before she died, my husband and I took her & my mom to Las Vegas. Grandmother was a little sad, commenting that she knew it would be her last trip. We found a nice blackjack dealer, got my grandmother out of her wheelchair and seated, and help her play (she was legally blind) for a good hour or so. She had a smile plastered on her face the rest of the day!
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    It's not the nicest, but it's certainly the most selfless & unexpected because there was NO way the person could even thank me and it is always a complete stranger --- I will pay for the drive-thru meal of the car behind me. If I've got a few extra bucks, I'll just do that --- their order is already in by the time I'm at the window, so the cashier knows exactly how much it will be.

Sadly, haven't been hitting the drive-thrus much lately... lol

Oh, I've also paid for a meal for an army private on an airplane - since the airlines don't feed us anymore. The poor kid had zero money on him and it was the least I could do.

ETA - forgot about being a blood/tissue/organ donor... that's kinda cool. :wink:
  • rbikky87
    rbikky87 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I donate a very small amount, $25 a month, to a charity called AID, and I chose my donation to go towards kids education. I donate to water.org. I would never know who is being helped with my donation, but I hope it brings help to people who need it.
  • nataliefamily3
    Options
    I bought passes to the local theme park for mil and my 4 nieces and nephews who would have never gotten to go....parents ard dead beats and mil is poor.

On a regular basis I bring a home cooked meal for my co worker who is elderly and lives off yogurt and tv dinners.

Gave mother in law 500$ for deductible for an important surgery...that's lots of money when you're 21 with a kid.
  • tracymnx
    tracymnx Posts: 105
    Options
    I gave someone a chunk of money from my late Mums estate, money she really really needed. My Mum was also helping her before she ( my Mum) passed away in November 2010. But I dont know anyone who did as many selfless things for other people as my Mum, too many to mention. Sometimes we used to fight about it, I would call her a mug and a doormat, God I would give anything to tell her I never meant it.
  • 18guyhornet
    18guyhornet Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    There was a couple at the local grocery store I frequent that were young, had three little ones and not much in their cart. I got to looking more at them and noticed the kids had very old and tattered clothing, and the parents weren't any better. When the bill was rung up they looked at each other and and started taking things off the bill and returning it. Mind you - the bill was like $70. It broke my heart. I have kids and know how expensive things are and how hard it can be to make ends meet but I'm fortunate because I don't live pay check to pay check.
    I asked the "Dad" if I could do something for him and he just looked at me embarrassed.
    I told the cashier that we would be back around and to hold those items to the side while we finished shopping. I took them around our store with another shopping cart and bought them a month's worth or groceries including baby formula and diapers.That young couple were so grateful but it was me who was truly blessed that day. I got to help help a family in need and had such an amazing feeling in my heart when we said goodbye. I will never forget it.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Some underprivaliged kids would get dropped off by their parents and spend all day at local park on most weekends.

This park happened to have a pond that was stocked that I fished regularly. I made afternoons out of just fishing with these boys and teaching them how to fish.

One day one of the boys asked me "why are you so nice?" I've really never been more speachless in my life. I just told him that I'm just being helpful the way I wish people would have with me when I was a kid (and referred to the fishing, even though he and I both meant it deeper than that).
  • katie070563
    Options
    For my college roomate who I treated like a sister.
    I told ER staff at our local hospital that my roomate was my sister.
    See...she had just found out the baby she was about to deliver at full term had died in utero. ER staff told us only family could accompany her up to the labor and delivery floor. Her family lived more then six hours away. The father was not in the picture. I accompanied her through out the birth of her beautiful baby girl. Deceased or not...she was precious...like a sleeping angel.
    Otherwise she would have had to deliver her baby alone.

You are one, wonderful woman!!
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I haven't done much to really think it was over the top...but I will never forget this one nice guy what he did for me,

In 2008 I was probably about 7 months pregnant and I went to a local car shop to buy tires... I was out of my car waiting and talking with a guy, he said congrats on your pregnancy and so forth. I told him the babys dad (my now husband) was in Iraq and has been since I was 3 months pregnant and will be until 2-3 months AFTER the baby was born. He told me how strong I was and so on and told me to go sit in my car and rest. I did, he left and they changed my tires when I went to pay they told me the guy I was talking with paid for me because my boyfriend/baby's dad was a hero and so was I for doing it alone and waiitng for him to return.

NEVER will forget it.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Wow, what a great thread!

The nicest - my husband and I bought a house for my Mom to live in.

Another just being "in the right place at the right time" moment - I was at a rugby tournament watching my boyfriend play when one of the players (that I didn't know) got injured. It turns out his shoulder was dislocated, so somehow there I was on the sidelines holding his hand on his good arm while they popped his shoulder back into place. I spent the rest of the day helping him - gathering his stuff, being his crutch to lean on when he needed to walk around. Probably a month later I biked by a guy on the street with his arm in a sling and he gave me a puzzled look. When I biked back by him again he shouted out to me that his arm was doing well.
  • Blown_Away1
    Blown_Away1 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    This is an amazing thread! thanks for starting it =)

Mine is more of a pay it forward: I had a pretty bad accident about 15+yrs ago and spent a bit of time in the hospital. My husband at the time rarely came to see me, we're ex's now. My best friend, who owns her own business spent much of her time with me and she relied a lot on her co-partner who held things together for her like precision clockwork. Her kindness is forever etched into my memory. When the opportunity came knocking for me to be able to help people with traumatic brain injuries I took it, and honestly it's been the best thing I've done in a long time.

I do remember this particular patient that I had some time ago. I was sitting with him until his family arrived from out of state. They kept telling me how grateful they were that someone was with him until they got there. They were so devastated.
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    More WOW's ... you awesome, awesome people...I am grateful to know you exist in this world.

:flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • animalcrackerz
    Options
    Paid for someone's groceries. They kept sliding their card and couldn't pay for their groceries. I noticed a lot of what they were buying was baby formula and food so I slid my credit card through for them. :) It was the best 40 dollars i ever spent. They were so appreciative.
  • enigmachik
    Options
    One year my sister had a new baby and was very behind on her bills. I stole a bunch of her bills without her knowing and paid them all up to date. To this day she doesn't know who did it. Another year at Christmas I spent dollar for dollar as much on gifts for charity as I did on the gifts for my family and friends.
  • wanda9501
    Options
    I don't know if it is THE nicest thing I've ever done, but I'd say it is high on the list, and I'm sure my mother would agree.
    My mom is a huge fan of Elvis Presley, but had never been to Graceland. So, one year, just after xmas, my sister and I 'kidnapped' my mom, and took her to Graceland. She thought we were going to a flea market about an hour away, and we'd be gone most of the day. But then we started crossing state lines that would make no sense. We stayed in Memphis for a few days. I think we made her year. :happy:

Don't know why but, this one made me tear up!!! Maybe because my mother lives so far away!!!
  • wanda9501
    Options
    One year my sister had a new baby and was very behind on her bills. I stole a bunch of her bills without her knowing and paid them all up to date. To this day she doesn't know who did it. Another year at Christmas I spent dollar for dollar as much on gifts for charity as I did on the gifts for my family and friends.

I have one child, so each year I make sure I finish her shopping by Thanksgiving and spend the rest of the time buying for less fortunate kids. It feels so good to know that other will have as big a smile on Christmas day as my daughter.
  • enigmachik
    Options
    I have one child, so each year I make sure I finish her shopping by Thanksgiving and spend the rest of the time buying for less fortunate kids. It feels so good to know that other will have as big a smile on Christmas day as my daughter.

I love that :)
  • JosephVitte
    JosephVitte Posts: 2,039
    Options
    My grandmother lived with me, and I took care of her for almost 10 years before she passed away in March last year. She used to love to go gambling, so one year my mom & I took her to Tunica, MS for a weekend. I tied a birthday balloon on the handle of her wheelchair; she pretended to be embarrassed, but later she was smiling and said she'd never had so many people wish her a happy birthday. Then just a year (to the month) before she died, my husband and I took her & my mom to Las Vegas. Grandmother was a little sad, commenting that she knew it would be her last trip. We found a nice blackjack dealer, got my grandmother out of her wheelchair and seated, and help her play (she was legally blind) for a good hour or so. She had a smile plastered on her face the rest of the day!

Taking your grandma to Vegas, now that's love! I mean that, most people don't even want to go with there parents, let alone grandma, some people don't know what they got until it's gone, this is way cool and a testament to you that you did, and do know what you have, and didn't wait til she was gone. RIP, and thanks for sharing this.

Thank you all, I love hearing these stories, although I may not comment them all, I do read them!
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    You all are the best!

:flowerforyou: :heart: x 1million