Single Mom leaves no tip

Options

Replies

• DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    If she's that hard up for cash, she should not be going out for $138.35 meals.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    I could never, ever , ever, get my head around this whole ' tipping ' culture you have there. why not pay restaurant staff a fair and reasonable salary so they aren't tip dependant for their income? that way, a tip would be a boost to their income and inspire higher levels of service, and not the ONLY means of their income.

In the UK, tipping is totally discretionally..you get great service, you give what you feel that service deserves...but the staff certainly do NOT make minimum wage, as is the case in North America...and the service levels are no where near CLOSE to the standards in north america.

The US tradition of leaving cute messages on the bill has also arrived in the UK, but the UK is NOT a service driven country and a waitress or a waiter in the UK dosn't understand that scribbling a little smiley face with 'thanks' next to their name on the bill is not their ticket to earn a tip...only great service should earn them a tip.

I feel bad for the OP for being denied an income...but if she was paid an equitable and fair salary to begin with, then she wouldn't have been denied her income.
    I was out to dinner in NY and the waiter followed us out to the sidewalk when we left because he didn't like the tip we gave him. It was 15% of the meal. I was appalled and embarrassed at the same time.

Wow, I probably would of knocked him out, and took back the 15% I gave him, what nerve! Wow........

15% is a low tip. if i was the waiter i'd be curious as to what i had done wrong to warrant a low tip. and LOL at you saying you'd knock him out. you would do no such thing.
  • JosephVitte
    JosephVitte Posts: 2,039
    Options
    I could never, ever , ever, get my head around this whole ' tipping ' culture you have there. why not pay restaurant staff a fair and reasonable salary so they aren't tip dependant for their income? that way, a tip would be a boost to their income and inspire higher levels of service, and not the ONLY means of their income.

In the UK, tipping is totally discretionally..you get great service, you give what you feel that service deserves...but the staff certainly do NOT make minimum wage, as is the case in North America...and the service levels are no where near CLOSE to the standards in north america.

The US tradition of leaving cute messages on the bill has also arrived in the UK, but the UK is NOT a service driven country and a waitress or a waiter in the UK dosn't understand that scribbling a little smiley face with 'thanks' next to their name on the bill is not their ticket to earn a tip...only great service should earn them a tip.

I feel bad for the OP for being denied an income...but if she was paid an equitable and fair salary to begin with, then she wouldn't have been denied her income.
    I was out to dinner in NY and the waiter followed us out to the sidewalk when we left because he didn't like the tip we gave him. It was 15% of the meal. I was appalled and embarrassed at the same time.
    The amount of tip I give is directly proportional to the service. I use 15% as a base and it goes up or down from there per the service I received. Once in New Orleans, I received such poor service (and we were the only ones at the restaurant at the time, it was right after lunch) I left a penny on the table. Now, the way I leave a penny is not just simply place a penny on the table, that could mean I forgot the coin while searching for bills. I place a full glass of water upside down on the table, over the penny. That way the waiter (yes, it was a guy) knows he pissed me off. It's a neat trick I learned. Easy to do but creates a mess when attempting to remove the glass of water with the insulting tip. I've only done it once. That's how mad I was with his service. Don't mess with me!

I thought my quarter took the top spot, you got me beat, lol!
  • CudyBug
    CudyBug Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    The whole poor me single mom crap in this society is getting really old. Like others said she spent that much on food and then says oo cant tip I'm a single mom! BS! I know plenty of single mothers or have more income coming into their home then I do as a married stay at home mother. Some, between their income, child support and government assistance, bring home double what my husband brings home. Then the ones that don't get assistance still have more income then my family because they have two incomes coming in between their job and child support so no I do not feel bad, financially, for single mothers! Does putting on there "single mom sorry" suppose to make her look better? I think just leaving a 0 would have been better. Not to mention I would never go out and spend that kind of money. I wonder if she even had her kids with her when eating!
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

Wow, I probably would of knocked him out, and took back the 15% I gave him, what nerve! Wow........

15% is a low tip. if i was the waiter i'd be curious as to what i had done wrong to warrant a low tip. and LOL at you saying you'd knock him out. you would do no such thing.
    15% is most certainly not a low tip. Coming after us demanding more is beyond rude. If you support that kind of behavior, you have entitlement issues and are in for a very rude awakening.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

side note: Why do as a society feel obligated to tip only at non fast food restaurants? I've never worked a day of fast food in my life, but could possibly agrue they work harder than waiters and waitresses, just my opinion.

Because the company is paying its employees minimum wage. I worked at a Burger King during High School and parts of college and it was a lot of work.

Well technically that is NOT the patrons fault....
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    in case nobody else has mentioned it..this is a hoax that has been altered several times for that note that says single mom to say a variety of things.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mother myself. And to be honest, I feel guilty leaving anything less than a 25% tip if the service was good. If I want to take my kids out to a $136 meal (how does one even do that) I will.. but I'll be sure I can leave a tip.

That said I'm getting older and cranky and I am much less likely to tip even 10% if the service is crappy.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I always tip no matter if it is poor service or exceptional service.
  • AaronG190991
    Options
    Tipping, not even once,

Dont want to go to America cause of this
  • SueGremlin
    Options
    I always tip no matter if it is poor service or exceptional service.
    Me too. 10% for crappy service 20% for good.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    BULL!!! A bill that large should have had tip added in...

A lot of restaurants that offer what I call mid priced fare (entrees from $7-20) would add a gratuity to a check for a larger party to prevent something like this from happening.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    15% is most certainly not a low tip. Coming after us demanding more is beyond rude. If you support that kind of behavior, you have entitlement issues and are in for a very rude awakening.

where the heck do you live? 15% is definitely low.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    I love this so much but the concept of all good hard honest work being deserving of a livable wage is a revolutionary concept around here. Thank you for sharing how things *could* be.

• SueGremlin
    Options

I'd ask you the same question! I grew up in the NYC metro area and currently live in the midwest. On what planet is a 15% tip unacceptable? 15% is considered a standard tip. Everyone has their own idea of what they should tip, but in no way is 15% considered a crappy tip.

http://howmuchtotip.org/
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    Tipping, not even once,

Dont want to go to America cause of this

really? something like that would hold you back?
  • Laces_0ut
    Options

I'd ask you the same question! I grew up in the NYC metro area and currently live in the midwest. On what planet is a 15% tip unacceptable? 15% is considered a standard tip. Everyone has their own idea of what they should tip, but in no way is 15% considered a crappy tip.

15% was standard 20 years ago. 20% is the standard today. maybe the midwest is 20 years behind the rest of us? :)
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options

This! and the bad thing is when the wait staff is rude, inattentive, and down right rude---and still they expect a tip of 30%
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    If you can't afford to tip, you can't afford to eat out. Wait-staff rely on tips for the majority of their income. Shame on the single mom!
  • SueGremlin
    Options

15% was standard 20 years ago. 20% is the standard today. maybe the midwest is 20 years behind the rest of us? :)
    You are incredibly rude to imply that I am old and out of touch. That is a current website. by the way.
    No tip for you.
This discussion has been closed.