How do you deal with aggressive cyclists?

Options
12346»

Replies

• plarcade
    plarcade Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I find the 'clothes line' wrestling move works even better on a cyclist

Simple physics say that both that and an elbow are a good way to end up with a broken arm...

Lets say you are 175lbs, moving at 6 mph (80 kg @ 2.75 m/s). The bicycle is 200 lbs moving at 20 mph (90 kg @ 9 m/s). You've got 220 kg m/s momentum. They have 810 kg m/s momentum. You are going to take most of the impact. Assume you take ALL the impact, going from +2.75 to -9 m/s. Your arm would be absorbing about 2000 N of force.
    That made me smile, but it IS very interesting, thank you :)

Pretty lucky my arm is both big enough and strong enough to take this then. It would be like a workout really
    Hahahaha, wonder if you can log it on MFP? :p

Pretty sure clotheslining is in the MFP database?
    *Respect!*
  • madworld1
    Options
    Aggressive cyclists can be very dangerous to walkers/joggers. A while back, a lady was killed by a cyclist. She was running in the shared park, and the cyclist hit her. I don't know the details, but I am sure she hit her head.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Somehow I doubt that the cyclists are "aiming for you" as you stated they are. Perhaps it's the fact that they're riding towards you and you're refusing to get out of the way? Or did you think that maybe they know there's a car behind them and if they were to swerve they'd get hit?

I am friends with many cyclists and they are far from rude and would never "aim" for someone who is walking or running. I've been running on bike paths and have had cyclists come up behind me and give a friendly "On your left" heads up. I've been running down the road, on the correct side and have had cyclists come towards me and I move myself out of the way.

I have also been on the flip side of that, on a bike myself coming up on someone who was walking or running and as long as there are no cars coming behind me I'll swerve out of the way.

That's not to say there aren't arrogant cyclists or even runners out there because I've seen them: They're riding three or four abreast and glare at the car as they are driving by or the runners who are halfway in the road and refuse to move when a car is coming by.

I honestly can not believe people would tell someone to throw something at the cyclist, stick something in their spokes or pepper spray them. That's sickening.
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    <snip>
    I honestly can not believe people would tell someone to throw something at the cyclist, stick something in their spokes or pepper spray them. That's sickening.

I was kidding. Sorry about that.
  • plarcade
    plarcade Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Somehow I doubt that the cyclists are "aiming for you" as you stated they are. Perhaps it's the fact that they're riding towards you and you're refusing to get out of the way? Or did you think that maybe they know there's a car behind them and if they were to swerve they'd get hit?
    Fine. Call me a liar.
    I know what happened.
    I am friends with many cyclists and they are far from rude and would never "aim" for someone who is walking or running. I've been running on bike paths and have had cyclists come up behind me and give a friendly "On your left" heads up. I've been running down the road, on the correct side and have had cyclists come towards me and I move myself out of the way.
    Have you ever been to Argentina? Hmm? Not ONCE has a cyclist called out to me. Not once.
    I have also been on the flip side of that, on a bike myself coming up on someone who was walking or running and as long as there are no cars coming behind me I'll swerve out of the way.
    So what's the problem in this case?
    That's not to say there aren't arrogant cyclists or even runners out there because I've seen them: They're riding three or four abreast and glare at the car as they are driving by or the runners who are halfway in the road and refuse to move when a car is coming by.
    So am I a liar or what? Please read the entire thread. I have taken on board what people (cyclists and runners have said)
    TBH I think aiming your bike/car at anyone is inexcusable whether they have right or way or not. Same goes for the spokes thing, but I think most people meant it in jest.