Tired of Bar Scene. Now What?

Options
124»

Replies

• melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I met my husband in an adult video store so I don't know how helpful any advice I have would be. :laugh:
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Church...
    bolt.gif

Nope... because this: bolt.gif is what everyone does after the service! I'd have to chase him down, tackle him and hold him down for conversation!!!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Church...
    bolt.gif
    More women then men are churchgoers, so you have good pickins, but not the best chances of sampling the merchandise.
  • Sarabeth1980
    Sarabeth1980 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Join a Dodgeball team, softball team, kickball, etc. Fun people that like to play hard, and usually they drink a little afterward, without the nightclub thing, cause you are all sweaty from playing games :drinker:
  • dodihere
    dodihere Posts: 490
    Options
    Go back to the bar. You are not serious.
  • QuietLegs
    Options
    I've never been comfortable with the bar scene. ._.

And I seem to just consistently strike out w/ online dating. Either I'm incredible unattractive, or my personality totally blows, but either way, the girls of SF think I suck on paper -_-

I work full time, have a pain in the *kitten* commute, and I'm introverted enough that I really like to stick to my habits on the weekends... which don't lend themselves to meeting a lot of people.

I guess I've become more confident and outgoing since I lost all this weight, but inside, I'm still a bit of an insecure chubby kid.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I met my wife off a message board...
  • Ivian_
    Ivian_ Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    match.com

You could be in one of their commercials!
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I can't help you at all. Maybe if I didn't have a kid, it would be a different story, but most of the time I'm all being a responsible mom and spending my free time with my son. I signed up for match.com once, but it wasn't worth it because most of the people only get the free subscription where the most you can do is wink at each other and not actually have a conversation. The few guys who did have full subscriptions sent creepy messages like, "I love red heads, send me your phone number" and "so are we just going to talk or are we going to hook up" (after two messages exchanged that consisted of "Hey, how are you tonight" and "I'm good") and at 11:50 one night "I'm downtown, do you want to come drink with me?"
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Cooking Classes
    Dance Classes
    Bowling
    Wine Tastings
    Volunteer work
    Mixers
  • gingerjen7
    Options
    I was never part of the bar scene haha. My friends are all older and I didn't touch alcohol till I was 21 so I totally missed it. I was never interested, I had an annoying holier than thou attitude towards drinking until the past year or so.

I met my boyfriend at the gym actually. Well, I worked the front desk there and people talked to me all the time but hey, it works.
    I like all the online suggestions. They do have a lot of cool things now, like group meetings, that are safter and more fun. It seems like even if you don't hit it off with one person, it's not a total loss of money or time.
    My sister met her husband while she was working at the front desk of a gym as well. I went to school with him 5th through 8th grade and I always thought he was such a douche, but she obviously felt differently (stress on "felt"--they're separated now, fingers crossed it sticks--unless that's not in her best interest or not what makes her happy).

I just checked meetup.com on the suggestions here; the only one geared towards singles last scheduled a meetup in May, so I don't think that's going to work. The only other ones that appealed to me were a moms group where I'm not likely to find an interesting guy, and a writers group that is closed! Oh Montana, you're so much fun.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I always meet people at local art events and art nights. It's always a mixed crowd, but mostly people in their late 20's early 30's. I'm in LA, and there is an opening almost every weekend. I've made friends, and picked up a nice collection of prints.

Other stuff I do:

Random groupons for physical activity stuff: Kayaking, random trampoline event for adults, sailing,
    Wine tasting (still booze)
    Dog park
    Dog beach
    Flea market
    Concerts (I'll even go by myself if no one else can make it)
    Dancing

Actually.....I meet people everywhere. I'm just approachable I guess. I think it's more about attitude than location. Good luck!
  • gingerjen7
    Options
    I checked out meetup.com....There wasn't any groups for athletic stoners who love cats. :(
    You can always start one; I'd join!
  • gingerjen7
    Options
    Church is often a good place to meet wonderful people.
    Just don't go to the church I grew up in. That's a good place to meet two-faced judgmental gossipy hypocrites.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Volunteering is a great way to meet people that care about more than just partying.
  • jsickman12
    jsickman12 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    If you are a runner, there are running clubs you can join, if you are into cycling there are cycling clubs. One of my buddies has gotten a lot into Cross Fit, seems pretty social there too.