annoyed at the/my/this "Journey"

Options
Perhaps I am being too semantic about this...but the use of the phrase the/my/this "Journey" annoys the ever loving crap out of me.

To me journey sounds temporary. It is a cutesy way of saying "I am going to do this thing until some point in time when it is over and I have to go back to real life" In other words the last 20 years I spent going on and off "journeys" to improve my health and life. Call it what is is....change. You change for the good or bad...hopefully we are doing it for the good.

/end rant for the day.

Replies

• amydee714
    amydee714 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I had never thought of the word journey in that way before. I will occasionally use the word journey in place of diet because I hate the word diet. For me journey is "the journey of my life" and not "a little trip I am on", but after reading what you said I can see how you would hear it that way. For me this is my permanent lifestyle change and not a diet. :flowerforyou:
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    On my profile I call it a safari.

So, yeah, I clearly dislike the word "journey." But you're right; this is a change. Can I go on an eternal safari?
  • TheFinalThird
    TheFinalThird Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I will stop using that word now, because "any way you want it, that's the way you need it." Thanks for the rant! ;-)
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Unless you look at it as the journey to death. I look at it as "my journey". Then again, I've never worried about annoying folks. :drinker:
  • Jewcybabe
    Jewcybabe Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I consider my lifestyle change a "journey" because there is no final destination. I'm incorporating fitness and nutrition into my life from now on......
  • lizapettit
    lizapettit Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I can see where you're coming from! But maybe the "journey" isn't just about losing weight, but a process where we discover how we became overweight... And it's not always as simple as too many cals in/not enough out. Some people eat for emotional comfort or out of boredom, some people are afraid to try to lose weight for fear of failing at something... I know I've learned a lot about myself lately so maybe I'm on my own journey to become more self-aware.

Or maybe I'm just rambling and need to go eat some lunch :)
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I call it a journey because for me it is a journey to a healthier place for me. A journey to me is getting from one place to another. I am getting from the land of the morbidly obese to the land of the healthy.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Perhaps I am being too semantic about this...but the use of the phrase the/my/this "Journey" annoys the ever loving crap out of me.

To me journey sounds temporary. It is a cutesy way of saying "I am going to do this thing until some point in time when it is over and I have to go back to real life" In other words the last 20 years I spent going on and off "journeys" to improve my health and life. Call it what is is....change. You change for the good or bad...hopefully we are doing it for the good.

/end rant for the day.

Awwwwww...here :flowerforyou: or maybe you'd prefer this instead: :drinker:

I LOVE using the term "journey" for my new lifestyle change...I use it interchangeably with "adventure". When I think of and use the term "journey and/or adventure...I think of something tough, rugged "trip" (as in you're tripping type of trip to me), something difficult and long (as in lifetime long) that most may not understand or something I must experience alone really. Also, something that has highs and lows--not "static"--with highs and lows and everything in-between experience. I see as as a long-haul type of thing and using the term "journey" helps me to feel courageous and brave. My definition of "journey is the same (or close to) the dictionary's defintion(s):

jour·ney
       [jur-nee] Show IPA noun, plural jour·neys, verb, jour·neyed, jour·ney·ing.
    noun
    a traveling from one place to another, usually taking a rather long time; trip: a six-day journey across the desert.
    a distance, course, or area traveled or suitable for traveling: a desert journey.
    a period of travel: a week's journey.
    passage or progress from one stage to another: the journey to success.

Sorry it bugs you though...I hope you'll feel better soon:wink:
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    When I had cancer, people would refer to all my treatments as part of my "journey." I hated that word to describe something as life threatening as cancer because it seemed to belittle the gravity of the situation. And ever since then, I hate the word applied to anything! I admit, I'm a bit bitter... ;)

So I hear you!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I think that life itself "is* a journey. And it is temporary. In the grand scheme of things, we are not on this earth for very long.
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    I call it a journey because that's what everyone else calls it....oh, the peer pressure! :tongue:
  • dietpepsi100
    dietpepsi100 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I say call it what you like. to me to "go on a diet" means the exact same thing as journey does to you. I am not on a diet I have changed my lifestyle. This is the way I will eat for the rest of my life. It is so different for everyone. Whatever you call it if it works for your that is AWESOME! Best wishes.
  • dietpepsi100
    dietpepsi100 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    love it! and your journey looks to me to be very successful so far! good for you! keep on keeping on!
  • rubberbiscuit
    Options

/end rant for the day.

I'm not sure if I've used journey to describe what I'm doing, but I think it would be an apt description. A journey is how you get from one place to another. I'm going from being an overweight, unhealthy person to a thinner, healthier version of myself. If it were temporary, it would be more like a vacation, where I would visit healthyness temporarily, but then return to the unhealthy version of myself. I'm not vacationing, I'm journeying.
  • bilberryjam
    bilberryjam Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    This
    I call it a journey because for me it is a journey to a healthier place for me. A journey to me is getting from one place to another. I am getting from the land of the morbidly obese to the land of the healthy.

and this
    I can see where you're coming from! But maybe the "journey" isn't just about losing weight, but a process where we discover how we became overweight... And it's not always as simple as too many cals in/not enough out. Some people eat for emotional comfort or out of boredom, some people are afraid to try to lose weight for fear of failing at something... I know I've learned a lot about myself lately so maybe I'm on my own journey to become more self-aware.

for me.

It's a journey to a better place, better me, better life and also a journey of self-discovery. I'm not the same person I was starting out.

That said, it's been over-used and it can sound quite trite, but sometimes clichés are built upon the truth.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I don't think I use the word journey, but if I do, it's more of a "life's a journey, not a destination" way of thinking. And I'm going to make detours and pit stops along the way.

Also, I hate Journey, as well as all the travel-themed buttrock bands. Asia, Foreigner, Chicago, Boston, Europe, Kansas, etc. My dyslexia wants to include Toto, because they did that godawful "Africa" song.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    My thoughts EXACTLY! Pisses me off all day.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I don't mind it because I think of it as a journey toward a final destination. "Journey" implies never really knowing what awaits, learning from your mistakes, trying something new, taking a dfiferent path, climbing hills, traveling through easy portions, etc. I don't use the word, myself, but I don't mind when others do.

You know which word makes me want to hurl, though?

Onederland.

Ugh. It's way too cutesy and overused.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    "Journey" means travelling from point A to point B.

When you get to point B, you can stay there.

It mostly just sounds corny to me, but semantically, you are incorrect, sir.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Journey.jpg