Do you eat back your burned calories?

Options

Replies

• sharonhayward775
    sharonhayward775 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    i started last week and been eating most of mine back and ive still lost 5.5lb this week. think this speaks for itself x
  • keithf1138
    Options
    Some of it some of the time.

It makes me feel wrong to get near the end of the day and feel the need to consume simply to consume. If I am not hungry and have had a good nutritious, but active day, it feels wrong to consume for consumption sake. Makes me think that when I am all done with wanting to exercise and loose weight and simply want to exercise and maintain weight I will put myself in a position for bad habits.
  • twoss9112
    twoss9112 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Not all of them. I like to leave margin for error.

This.

I make it a point to leave the margin for especiialy when I know I may not have an accuarate number for a certain thing that I had, and if it's something like meat, where I may not have a correct weight and might be off by a couple ounces, I will usually over estimate the food and leave a margin of what I "eat back".

I hate that term though, "eat back exercise calories"... makes me cringe, and I also think it confuses people to say it like that.

You can "eat back" all or some of your exercise calories and still be too far off your net number, depending on what else you ate that day and just how active you were.

You have to pay more attention to your net number, in my opinion. Ever since I started to do that I have been more successful at averaging the 1 lb / week loss (now up to an 11 lb overall loss)
  • mjeischen
    Options
    Nope. Maybe a little bit but overall I leave them alone. 42lbs in 3.5 months . . . I'm not going to change whats working. When it stops working I'll re-evaluate
  • sharonhayward775
    sharonhayward775 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    this might not work for me later on when am near my target but for now it does. what u need to eat changes with how your body changes so later on i might not eat them back it all depends on what my body needs x
  • tonyrocks922
    tonyrocks922 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    HvgRkS5.jpg
    sxxS1UH.jpg

nuff said
  • cherryemma73
    Options
    I was wondering about this, I eat mine but my weight has gone down then up, so I think I need to try eat way less
  • girlsjustwanna
    Options
    Unless you want your muscles to start eating themselves you MUST eat back your calories. At least most days. Have a small deficit on some days but remember you are already eatin at a deficit determined by MFP! The more muscle you build the more calories it needs and muscle burns calories rapidly when used so in the long run you will lose more weight feeding the muscle after it's been exercised hard!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I was wondering about this, I eat mine but my weight has gone down then up, so I think I need to try eat way less

Eating "way less" will also lead to metabolic stall. My guess is that if you're gaining when you eat back exercise calories that you've already stalled out and your body has to re-boot it's metabolism to consume a healthy amount of food. Either that or you are substantially underestimating consumption and/or overestimating burn.

The world GOAL is right there next to your calorie number...a GOAL is something to be achieved last time I checked.
  • TxRottie81
    TxRottie81 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    i agree you should drop not drop below the recommended caloric intake for the day... However if you dont consume all the calories back you will probably be okay. but make sure you are eating a balanced diet andlistening to your body. Do not drop below the min. caloric intake determined by MFP.. its science.. you cant cheat science...
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    if im hungry yes. probably wouldnt eat all of them as im hesistant to believe that i burned all of that off :indifferent: just a thing i have
  • ainsleybtown
    Options
    not all of them. My trainer has me at 1500 calories so that's what I am eating with 4-5 workouts a week. Averaging 1.5 loss per week.
  • Sonjalalala
    Sonjalalala Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I do.
    I try not to eat them ALL back, but I don't stress about it too much. Heck, sometimes I even go over by a bit. Yeah I'll probably lose the weight a lot slower... But once I reach my goal weight, I think I'll be able to maintain it a lot easier than if I starved myself now. I get damn hungry when I work out!
    1400 calories are not going to satisfy this food monster, especially when lifting weights!
  • Andrew_peter
    Andrew_peter Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Tried to go without eating them back but found on my cardio days I would just get famished and feel weak. Now eating back half which I find is way better and still losing weight at a decent pace.
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    This thread just makes me sad. :grumble: How can so many people not understand how MFP works. It already creates your deficit without adding exercise in. Anything you burn through exercise is extra. It's not needed to create a larger deficit if you are following MFP generic calorie amounts.
  • cinrn68
    cinrn68 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I try not to net less than 1200 calories/day. Some days it's harder than others, but for the most part that's what I've been doing.
  • marcvandenberg
    marcvandenberg Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them all, but when I excersise a lot in 1 day, i just eat some more, else i'm realy cold and feel I did to much.
    Ending 700 or more under your goal isn't the idea.

Marc
  • amysue1971
    amysue1971 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Noooooooooooooooo...
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I do! I'm always hungry post-workout :) But eating after a workout refuels your body with carbs and protein and some believe also helps recovery. I've lost pounds as well as inches doing this. I don't necessarily eat back ALL my calories - especially if it's a huge burn but a third to half is satisfactory
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Almost always, unless I just can't fathom eating another bite of food for some reason. I'm already eating at a deficit if I DON'T work out, so those extra calories are free.