Why do people do it????

Options

Replies

• bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    The simple answer is: They think they've found the magic weight loss pill...

we have a winner.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    This lady told me she was taking these pills when I noticed she was shaking as I asked her if she was ok?
    She then giggled and said they were banned and illegal.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    People do it because they are tired of feeling ugly and worthless because that is how society takes on fat people. I know I have thought about taking something to get these last 90lbs off. It took a yr to get to 70 I don't want another year to lose the last bit. For some weight hinges on a lot of other things.

and by taking a pill to lose weight because serious effort and determination and developing a good relationship with food is just too much hard work, right?
  • Fozzi43
    Options
    For me, it's the moral thing and goes against what I trained to do, train clients..if I have a client who looks obviously unwell then I don't train them. Simple as that. If this woman starts to show symptoms I shall send her home. Simple.

That's quite the judgement call! Exercise is known to help all kinds of illnesses, from mental health issues to cancer. But you won't train them if they look ill? I'm not trying to be argumentative, just interested as to what folk's codes are.

If they come in with a migraine the last thing they need is vibrating on a plate. As most of my clients are women, if its they're TOM and they have severe cramping, not just mild, then I'll not train them as its not productive, they can't put everything into it. But I will do stretches and massage with them, not full blown exercises.

Ive got a headache, not sure if its a migrane or not, but I want to exercise as it often helps, can we keep our appointment?

I'm taking P78 pills for extra stamina during exercise, can we increase our sessions to 90 minutes?

I'm recovering from a dose of Malaria I had a month ago, can we start the sessions again?

Do you like my new top, a guy in the pub sold me loads of brand new ones that he 'obtained' Do you like it? Is our session still on for tomorrow?

These new diet pills are brilliant! I think they have just been approved over here. Are we still ok for next week?

I think you are taking the p!ss now..it's not like that and you know it. If a person appears/ acts/ looks unwell, unless I think it's something that will not hurt the session then yeah sure ill carry on with it.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Since losing weight takes consistent focus and work, I think a lot of people want to find the magic short cut. I did at one time.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    laziness and stoopidity. And yes i spelled it that way!, lol
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who is in seriously great shape. Every year around December he gets questions from overweight co-workers about how to get fit "like him" (note: he has been weight lifting for 17 years regularly). He tells them diet and exercise. The last person who asked this responded "Oh hell no! I am not exercising. Isn't there a pill or something that I can take?"

Sad but true.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry your boss is unsupportive, and I know how frustrating and disheartening it is when the people that you are supposed to be able to look up to are less professional than you are.
    you're being unrealistic if you think a gym manager will stop someone training if they have taken something in the privacy of their own home, be it diet pills, weed, too much alcohol, steroids, creatine or whatever

If I lived in your 'real' world, where a manager insists I train someone who is drunk, I'd get them to put that in writing. I'd still refuse to do it of course, but it will make it really easy in court when they've put it in writing for me.

Nobody said anything about being drunk, or taking illegal pills during your training session.

The OP clearly stated symptoms of the pills during a session, but that is irrelevant.

The fact the OP represents a health advisor, they cannot in good conscience advise someone when they know there is a complication that they are not qualified to deal with. The OP expressed concerns that the clients health will be at risk during training, due to the client confessing to taking a banned, uncontrolled, unprescribed drug.

Whether she takes it in her own time or not, doesn't matter. You're thinking of playground games, not a professional career.
  • Fozzi43
    Options
    I have a friend who is in seriously great shape. Every year around December he gets questions from overweight co-workers about how to get fit "like him" (note: he has been weight lifting for 17 years regularly). He tells them diet and exercise. The last person who asked this responded "Oh hell no! I am not exercising. Isn't there a pill or something that I can take?"

Sad but true.

I think that happens a lot..people just don't want to work for it!
  • climbamnt
    climbamnt Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    In the age of instant-gratification some people don't want to do things the right way, because it’s harder and takes longer! Unfortunately, it's not just linked to dieting but that how some people live their entire life! I wish people could understand that weight loss, lower cholesterol, and normal blood sugar are just the result of living a healthy lifestyle! Good luck to everyone!

26224223.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • FabMrFox
    FabMrFox Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I got a rude awakening when I found used needles in my gym. The thought of people taking steroids hadn't even crossed my mind.
    Started looking at people in the gym in a whole new light, and it's explained a lot of weird shapes and voices.

steroids are a big problem across the uk at the moment, especially teenagers taking them.

Jeff is 13 with a full beard ...may be on something
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry your boss is unsupportive, and I know how frustrating and disheartening it is when the people that you are supposed to be able to look up to are less professional than you are.
    you're being unrealistic if you think a gym manager will stop someone training if they have taken something in the privacy of their own home, be it diet pills, weed, too much alcohol, steroids, creatine or whatever

If I lived in your 'real' world, where a manager insists I train someone who is drunk, I'd get them to put that in writing. I'd still refuse to do it of course, but it will make it really easy in court when they've put it in writing for me.

Nobody said anything about being drunk, or taking illegal pills during your training session.

The OP clearly stated symptoms of the pills during a session, but that is irrelevant.

The fact the OP represents a health advisor, they cannot in good conscience advise someone when they know there is a complication that they are not qualified to deal with. The OP expressed concerns that the clients health will be at risk during training, due to the client confessing to taking a banned, uncontrolled, unprescribed drug.

Whether she takes it in her own time or not, doesn't matter. You're thinking of playground games, not a professional career.

No I'm thinking as a PT with limited knowledge on health matters, are they in a position to make a judgment on things like this? Sure you send a drunk home - obviously. But you're saying you also refuse to train ANYONE who has, or iis taking an unprescribed drug???
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    One of my clients came in for a workout today and told me that she was so pleased with herself...she'd managed to get hold of some banned ( in the UK) weightloss pills.

I told her in no uncertain terms that they will just make her poorly, she's already got a racing heart symptom.
    She's normally quite sensible.

Why do people do it? So dangerous and there's nothing wrong with losing weight the old fashioned way.

I'm so proud of having done this the old fashioned way. There is no magic pill, there are no short cuts, really there are not. The hard work it takes to do it the old fashioned way builds character, and everything you learn along the journey comes into play for the rest of your life and maintenance.

They do it because our society teaches that there is a pill for everything, things can be done with as little effort possible, and instant gratification.
  • mamajenny2
    mamajenny2 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    People are looking for a quick fix and the magic pill. I tried those about 15 years ago, not anything that was banned, but it was still full of caffenie and ephedra. Not good and I thought I was going to have a heart attack because my heart was pounding just about out of my chest! Scared the crap out of me so they went in the garbage that day! Now it is all about hard work and saying no to the red flag foods. All those pills are are legalized speed. They should all be banned in my opinion.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    You did the right thing in setting your limits. First, you don't feel comfortable training her. When a professional doesn't feel she is the right person to help, it's often best to refer to someone else. In this case, a good referral would probably be her doctor.

Someone mentioned drinking. This woman has a pre-existing heart condition and is taking illegal drugs that affect the heart. It's not that different from taking someone who is drinking out on a country road where they can't hurt anyone else to practice driving. I wouldn't do that. Why? High risk of hurting themselves.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    crazy

it's why I just do coke
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    For me, it's the moral thing and goes against what I trained to do, train clients..if I have a client who looks obviously unwell then I don't train them. Simple as that. If this woman starts to show symptoms I shall send her home. Simple.

That's quite the judgement call! Exercise is known to help all kinds of illnesses, from mental health issues to cancer. But you won't train them if they look ill? I'm not trying to be argumentative, just interested as to what folk's codes are.

If they come in with a migraine the last thing they need is vibrating on a plate. As most of my clients are women, if its they're TOM and they have severe cramping, not just mild, then I'll not train them as its not productive, they can't put everything into it. But I will do stretches and massage with them, not full blown exercises.

Ive got a headache, not sure if its a migrane or not, but I want to exercise as it often helps, can we keep our appointment?

I'm taking P78 pills for extra stamina during exercise, can we increase our sessions to 90 minutes?

I'm recovering from a dose of Malaria I had a month ago, can we start the sessions again?

Do you like my new top, a guy in the pub sold me loads of brand new ones that he 'obtained' Do you like it? Is our session still on for tomorrow?

These new diet pills are brilliant! I think they have just been approved over here. Are we still ok for next week?

I think you are taking the p!ss now..it's not like that and you know it. If a person appears/ acts/ looks unwell, unless I think it's something that will not hurt the session then yeah sure ill carry on with it.

I know it's not like that, I wasn't trying to be funny, just giving you different scenarios to see what your response to each of these would be
  • Fozzi43
    Options
    Common sense would prevail.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    More disturbing is finding them in your 14 year olds purse! And she is thin and fit!! I made her flush them (painful for her considering she had saved up her baby-sitting money for them) and then we googled deaths related to taking them. She got a real eye opener. She's 19 now and never went down that path again.

That is disturbing! I love how you dealt with it, though. It taught her something!
  • Charloo1990
    Charloo1990 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    I can't talk, i took some about 2 years ago and i can't believe my loss in appetite, i lost 12lbs in 2 weeks. Had alsorts of horrible side affects though, i was constantly thirsty, felt depressed, dizzy, had a dead leg so i stopped but then when i tried them about a year later they wouldn't work, it's like my body had become imune to them or something =/