Why do people do it????

Options
1235»

Replies

• Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Common sense would prevail.

I don't think knowlege about pills and suplements can be called 'common sense'

Your client specifically told you that her pills were banned and you made your decision (correct one in my opinion) based on that. But how about if she had just said she was taking Ephedra diet pills? Or Stimerex, or P65X, or wonderpill etc etc, would you research to see if they were ok, refuse to train her, or train her?
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Yes I would research them if they were legal and what side effects were...if there were not many health threatening side effects, then I would train her.

The fact is they are banned makes me concerned.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Yes I would research them if they were legal and what side effects were...if there were not many health threatening side effects, then I would train her.

Well then you sure are a responsible and professional trainer so you have to respect that. Unfortunately though I fear you are in the minority and I can't see the 18 year old personal trainers down my gym refusing to train anyone that could be roused from a drunken stupor.

In fairness though it does sound like you are a different type of Personal trainer to those
  • Fozzi43
    Options

Well then you sure are a responsible and professional trainer so you have to respect that. Unfortunately though I fear you are in the minority and I can't see the 18 year old personal trainers down my gym refusing to train anyone that could be roused from a drunken stupor.

In fairness though it does sound like you are a different type of Personal trainer to those

Thank you... I think :laugh:

I'm just careful..that's all.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I think you have made the best decisions.

In worse case scenario she could collapse while you are trainer her. What do you do ? and do you inform the paramedics that she was taking the illegal tablets. This would reflect badly on you as you knew she had taken these tablets and was having adverse side effects but on the other hand not telling them might mean she wont get the care she needs? Would your insurance cover you if you admit that you knew she was taking illegal drugs.?

Hopefully the fact that you wont train her might be a wakeup call and she might stop.

You sound like a very professional guy and pity there is not more trainers out there who care about their clients well-being and not their purses.
  • Fozzi43
    Options
    I think you have made the best decisions.

In worse case scenario she could collapse while you are trainer her. What do you do ? and do you inform the paramedics that she was taking the illegal tablets. This would reflect badly on you as you knew she had taken these tablets and was having adverse side effects but on the other hand not telling them might mean she wont get the care she needs? Would your insurance cover you if you admit that you knew she was taking illegal drugs.?

Hopefully the fact that you wont train her might be a wakeup call and she might stop.

You sound like a very professional guy and pity there is not more trainers out there who care about their clients well-being and not their purses.

Thank you for that. I just want to train people correctly.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of it is impatience they want to see results quickly and if it isn't quick enough they go for aggressive measures like lowering calorie count to 1200, diet pills, whatever crap Dr. Oz is telling people to take, fad diets, etc.
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    1. By whom are the "substances " banned?
    2. Do you require any form of registration for your job?
    3. Do you have any form of indemnity insurance for your job?

If "Yes" to either (or both) 2. and/or 3. then what do those people say?

Surely you need a higher level of authority than a fitness logging bulletin board?

Best wishes
  • Fozzi43
    Options
    1. By whom are the "substances " banned?
    2. Do you require any form of registration for your job?
    3. Do you have any form of indemnity insurance for your job?

If "Yes" to either (or both) 2. and/or 3. then what do those people say?

Surely you need a higher level of authority than a fitness logging bulletin board?

Best wishes

I wasn't totally asking for advice..I was merely making a comment about how daft some people are.
    I have to be insured.
    The substance in question is one that is illegal in the UK.

Saw the lady in question last night..she's not going to take them on my advice. So, result. But yes I'll know if she's taking them and lying bout it.
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Fair enough - and if genuine then, yes a RESULT!