How many times a day do you eat?

Options

Replies

• ezzziii_candoit
    Options
    Usually 1-2 hot meals a day, depending on the day, and then breakfast and one snack... So about 3-4 a day and I eat around 1300 calories in total.

I think you just need to fit meals into your schedule and your calorie intake, try to sort them out so that you will not get too hungry at any point because that will trigger you to eat something unhealthy or too much! But also aim to get your calorie goal within the meals :)
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I know it all depends on how many calories you consume and not how many times you eat but I was curious how many meals people eat. I tried the 5-6 small meals a day but no that I am back to work I can't eat every few hours because I only get one break. Starting tomorrow I will be trying 3 meals a day at 400-500 cals each.

Six small snacks/meals. I've lost the most weight this way. A ton of stomach fat this way.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    2-3 meals a day.

I tried the 5-6 small meals and it was way too much work. I had to keep my food with me at all times, bring snacks when I went places etc. etc. It was a total and complete PITA.
  • LilacSnow
    LilacSnow Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    3 meals, and 2-3 snacks.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    4 normally, but it's just a protein shake in the mornings.
  • deadbambi
    Options
    i eat all day. LOL. or whenever I'm hungry!
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    When I am hungry... that enough?

People over think these things, were we genetically programmed on a timer to eat 5-6 times a day? NO... not even close, sometimes we went days without food and sometimes we ate a few times.... Our bodies know what to do, so eat when hungry and only when hungry is the best thing anyone could do...

I mean 5-6 times a day? Sure... you have your snack and say you lose weight faster... If I don't drink I can lose 3-4kg a week :/ so don't use that excuse on me that eating lots is best...

My problem I know and identified and not going to change... means slower than 3-4kg a week, but also means can get drunk and eat cake and chips 2-3 days a week... Works for me...

Though, I need to get to new low weight for when cycle and running season starts again, so maybe need be strict for a few weeks to get down to race weight... Easy enough, but the no drinking I hate... lol... I love to get ape crazy drunk!

And and as an edit... I do not do NOT mean fast when doing long distance races because not hungry... that hurts your performance, of course 1-2 hours before have something nice... I mean in capacity that if I eat once a day then that fine as that usual for me, if I eat twice with 2-3 snacks that fine too... I'm not "starving myself" as some would think, and I am losing weight fast if I do not drink... I usually net under 1000 a day because of training, but on days I rest I net 1500 or so, weekends I can net 3000-5000c... so yea...
  • NaturallyOlivia
    NaturallyOlivia Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    4 is perfect for me. i try to space it out to where there isnt too long in between my next meal. it keeps me from pigging out
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Eatin has no effect on your metabolism!! Zip, zilch, nada, none, zero, uh uh, nein!!

Yes it does. Just not as much as most people seem to thing.

Proof source?

Your body burns calories during digestion. Any time you burn calories you have a temporary boost in metabolism.

That is the Thermic Effect of Food or TEF as I refered to in my post. It's effect is in direct relation to what and how much you eat. How often you eat is a nonfactor assuming you eat the same amount with the same macronutrient composition. So, in effect, it is useless as a factor in weight loss.

But you also said "Eatin has no effect on your metabolism!! Zip, zilch, nada, none, zero, uh uh, nein!!" You didn't say it had no affect on weight loss.

Meal timing is useful as a factor in weight loss if it keeps one on track. 'Useful in weight loss' is not all about thermodynamics.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    For me it totally depends. I like to leave most of my calories for in the evening as that is when I am most likely to be bored and wanting to binge. However if after work I have a good amount of calories left I can go 'ok, I can eat this now and still be able to eat this later, and maybe have a snack after that' and that keeps me from binging cause I have 'permission' to eat almost whatever I want in normal portions.
    So the number of times I eat a day depends on how many calories I have left after work.
    My usual meals for the day are often like this
    Breakfast: Toast and PB 180-200 (bought 100 cal toast this time by mistake instead of 80 cal toast :( )
    Lunch: Pita sandwiches 370
    Snack: Cheese Bun 160

That's what I eat from morning till I am driving away from work (I eat my cheese bun on my drive to the barn/home depending on if I am riding that day), that's about 710-730 calories which means I still have 770-790 calories left for after work. So then it depends if I have one higher calorie meal and a snack or 2 or a couple medium calorie meals. But ya I usually eat 5-6 times a day.
  • 6 times a day! gotta keep that metabolism running!
  • kandilynn03
    kandilynn03 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I eat 1-3 meals between 2 p.m. and 10 p.m. Sometimes one of those meals is just a protein shake, though. Now that I have my eating and calories under control, I'm trying to figure out my macro-nutrients.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Eatin has no effect on your metabolism!! Zip, zilch, nada, none, zero, uh uh, nein!!

Yes it does. Just not as much as most people seem to thing.

Proof source?

Your body burns calories during digestion. Any time you burn calories you have a temporary boost in metabolism.

That is the Thermic Effect of Food or TEF as I refered to in my post. It's effect is in direct relation to what and how much you eat. How often you eat is a nonfactor assuming you eat the same amount with the same macronutrient composition. So, in effect, it is useless as a factor in weight loss.

But you also said "Eatin has no effect on your metabolism!! Zip, zilch, nada, none, zero, uh uh, nein!!" You didn't say it had no affect on weight loss.

Meal timing is useful as a factor in weight loss if it keeps one on track. 'Useful in weight loss' is not all about thermodynamics.
    Let's see if we can make this clear enough so even you can understand. Neither T.E.F. nor meal timing have any metabolic advantage for weight loss. Got it? The original post I responded to made no mention of a compliance advantage. That was something you brought up in your last post. I agree there is a possible compliance advantage. This is pretty typicall of you posts. You h ave difficulty staying focused or dealing in facts.
  • simplyme99
    simplyme99 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I do the three and snack like crazy... a piece of fruit, almonds, protein shake ... I snake the most in the afternoon!
  • sujenwujen
    sujenwujen Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Monday -Friday:

Breakfast (hard boiled egg & a banana)
    mid-morning snack at my desk (granola bar, usually),
    lunch (sushi summer w/o rice & fruit, or canned tuna & fruit)
    afternoon snack at my desk (2pm-ish: usually nuts or soy nuts)
    late afternoon snack leaving work or as soon as I get home from work (5pm-ish -- hard boiled egg),
    dinner (usually my "big" meal of the day -- 400 calories, high protein, low carb, veggies)
    lite dessert (Diana's Bananas or Mini Moon Pie or fat-free pudding with Cool Whip or something)

This is a routine that's easy for me to stick with during the week. Then, I usually have enough calories leftover that I can "splurge" on the weekends. I don't go crazy, mind you, but I usually do Friday happy hour with the girls at a taqueria -- mmm...cheese dip!!!, and I can go out Sat & Sun and have normal restaurant food without having to super-restrict myself.

And I've lost 30 lbs!

(did I mention exercise? 4-5 days a week; 45-60 mins each)
  • sujenwujen
    sujenwujen Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    *sushi summer ROLL
  • LngHrDntCr13
    LngHrDntCr13 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I eat probably about 4 to 5 times a day. I prefer a big breakfast and then a few snacks and a smallish dinner.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    2 - 3 large meals
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    All the time
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    6 times a day! gotta keep that metabolism running!

that's a myth