Pot is legal in CO and WA

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Is this the "medical marijuana" or the real deal that was legalized?
    Recreational marijuana, meaning it will be legal for them to possess 1 oz and grow up to 6 plants.

I hope this means it is or will be easier to grow low-THC breeds in larger amounts for fabric production. Hemp is actually far more environmentally friendly than synthetics or cotton.

The numerous applications of industrial hemp is *THE* number one reason that the government made it illegal in the first place. When America was still British colonies, we paid our taxes with hemp.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I am all for the legalization of marijuana, but here's my question. How will it be monitored when it comes to vehicular use? I say this, because, I know there were times when I used to smoke that it was not safe for me to be behind the wheel. Fortunately, I had the common sense to wait it out, but not everyone does/will. Atleast with alcohol, there is a system that can relatively determine how intoxicated someone is and have proof to hold them accountable in court. However, there's not really a way to tell, how high someone is. Is there?
    Unfortunately, a urine or blood test won't work because pot stays in the system for awhile, even though the effects are usually gone within hours. They'll have to rely on keen observation, just like they would if someone were driving while high on Vicodin or heroin or something. It'll still be an OWI, just like it is now.
  • EnchantedEvening
    Options
    That's a good video, and I can see how they got those results. I have a lot of friends who are regular smokers and have no problem driving whatsoever. I just know that, in my personal experience, I could not drive, so I can't possibly be the only one. Maybe it's something that comes with more regular use? But legalizing it means now there could be a lot of people who didn't want to risk breaking the law and now, they can try it out but nothing is keeping them off the road. Let's just hope they're paranoid enough to stay indoors...

I'm like you. I refuse to drive because it makes me so incredibly sleepy.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I am all for the legalization of marijuana, but here's my question. How will it be monitored when it comes to vehicular use? I say this, because, I know there were times when I used to smoke that it was not safe for me to be behind the wheel. Fortunately, I had the common sense to wait it out, but not everyone does/will. Atleast with alcohol, there is a system that can relatively determine how intoxicated someone is and have proof to hold them accountable in court. However, there's not really a way to tell, how high someone is. Is there?

Watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6Fcks7pla0

I've watched many documentaries where the drunk/sober/high driving test was done. Almost every time, the high driver was most aware and driving the safest.

That's a good video, and I can see how they got those results. I have a lot of friends who are regular smokers and have no problem driving whatsoever. I just know that, in my personal experience, I could not drive, so I can't possibly be the only one. Maybe it's something that comes with more regular use? But legalizing it means now there could be a lot of people who didn't want to risk breaking the law and now, they can try it out but nothing is keeping them off the road. Let's just hope they're paranoid enough to stay indoors...

I think it depends. For a person with no tolerance, just with with alcohol, just a little bit may make them a bad driver. I know some light-weights that should not drive after ONE alcoholic beverage. Then I know some who could drink 10 and be fine to drive. Same goes for pot.

More on this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiBvFZFrTCQ
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Recreational marijuana, meaning it will be legal for them to possess 1 oz and grow up to 6 plants.

I hope this means it is or will be easier to grow low-THC breeds in larger amounts for fabric production. Hemp is actually far more environmentally friendly than synthetics or cotton.

The numerous applications of industrial hemp is *THE* number one reason that the government made it illegal in the first place. When America was still British colonies, we paid our taxes with hemp.

I'm aware. The Emperor Wears No Clothes was an eye opening read! And now hopefully things will start to change. But once again, these states are going to have to contend with the feds. I wonder how the feds will fight back?
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

<snip>

For me personally, I have a joint (yes joint) disorder that causes me excruciating pain daily. There is no real way to treat it, practically no doctors will see you for treatment and It effects my diet, speech and life greatly. The most common treatment is muscle relaxers or pain pills, both of which can be expensive, addictive and many doctors won't prescribe them long term. Marijuana is the ONLY thing that has helped me manage the pain and symptoms. It's natural, non-addictive and has improved my quality of life. Until a person lives with pain so bad that they average 2-3 hours of sleep, cry out daily and nightly in pain that is so bad they feel like they will pass out, and live with that pain daily, they have NO RIGHT to tell me I can't take a natural supplement to help me live a bit better.

My husband has Crohn's disease, and his GI doctor has told him flat-out, "Clearly it's working. I wish I could prescribe it."

Once you have been there, or watched a loved one suffer from the side effects of the dangerous prescription drugs that masquerade as medicine these days, you can't help but be outraged that it was *EVER* made illegal in the first place. Cannabis oil used to be found in nearly every medicine bag in America.

Yes. I want to get a prescription...there are docs in CA that hand them out like candy. However, the little card they give you is tracked by the feds. And, since it's still illegal at the federal level, I think it is a huge mistake to go that route. The feds could come at any time and bust EVERYONE. They can, and I think they will, one day. I truly believe this.

My mom, who was straight as an arrow, but had breast cancer, tried it for a while, and said it really helped a lot with nasau (sp?) from chemo therapy. If I was in that state, yeah, I wouldn't care. But, since I'm healthy, it just scares me. Until the feds back off, I'm staying away from it. I don't care if the state of CA legalizes it. The feds have jurisdiction, and that scares the bageesus out of me.

They can't actually bust "everyone" because there are not enough of them and too many of us. Did you know that there are only about 300 DEA agents? Compare that to 50 million users. The DEA actually *needs* state and local law enforcement assistance in most cases. Without the local and state cops to help, the feds are doomed.

Check the history of how alcohol prohibition ended. It was several states refusing to comply with federal law. The federal government exists because the states allow it. The states can actually nullify federal law by refusing to comply.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Cheetos a Doritos sales are about to spike in those states.
    Don't forget Capn Crunch!
  • Begood03
    Begood03 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I don't smoke it (although I did for years), but it should be legal, and taxed.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Stoners rejoice. they can now smoke marijuana like they smoke cigarettes. The American IQ just took a big hit. What do you think?

I think you are very uninformed about the laws that were passed.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Stoners rejoice. they can now smoke marijuana like they smoke cigarettes. The American IQ just took a big hit. What do you think?

The benefits of marijuana are so great that this could NEVER be a bad thing. It cures cancer, it helps very sick people who cannot get relief from any man-made chemical and it end crime when legalized. Drug legalization = income from tax revenue and ending gang/cartel crime.

YAY!

Wow it cures cancer? Does the FDA and do all scientists working on a cure know this?

Only in Europe apparently.

Also the FDA is *NOT* trying to cure cancer. Ever.

Yeah, the FDA has also destroyed many studies showing that the effects of second hand cigarette smoke are a minimal risk to the public, Yet look at what has happened with the smoking bans. The FDA has no purpose to the people other than making money and being corrupt.
  • Celliott411
    Celliott411 Posts: 49 Member
    Options

It's pretty easy to tell if someone is impaired, simply observe their driving. If they are following all traffic laws and appear to be driving in a safe manner, then there is no problem to solve.

The same can be said about those who are intoxicated and driving. There are a lot of good drunk drivers out there too.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

I'm aware. The Emperor Wears No Clothes was an eye opening read! And now hopefully things will start to change. But once again, these states are going to have to contend with the feds. I wonder how the feds will fight back?

Yup! I read that when I was 19, and it changed my whole outlook. I am actually the president of our local NORML chapter. :bigsmile:
  • EnchantedEvening
    Options
    As long as they do it in their homes and don't subject me to the smoke or the smell, its fine with me.
    If CO and WA have "no smoking" laws for buildings, then it should be fine. My state (Michigan) doesn't allow any smoking inside of a building or within ten feet (I think) of an entrance, so if it were legal here, I'm sure it would extend to marijuana.

It will be interesting to see how they regulate it in the coming days.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Now that these laws are being passed, states are going to have 1] the funding and 2] the need to test and study and come up with reasonable means and measures for enforcing DUI. And really, if you're driving recklessly (regardless of the substance you're on), you're going to get pulled over and be fined,etc. for reckless driving, so it's not like people are just suddenly going to start getting completely high and driving around.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options

My IQ is so high, I smoke weed just so I can dumb down a little and relate to you simple folk.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Clean marijuana plants have way more health benefits than a bottle of hard liquor ever will. If is taxed and regulated properly, it will solve way more problems than it creates.
    :happy:
  • keden7
    keden7 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Looks like MyFitnesspal.com will eventually get many more users when fast food binging significantly increases.
  • KickassAugust
    KickassAugust Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Clean marijuana plants have way more health benefits than a bottle of hard liquor ever will. If is taxed and regulated properly, it will solve way more problems than it creates.

Thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • JessieGurlJb
    Options
    Pot can be used responsibly the same way alcohol can be. Both can be used irresponsibly as well. Its all up to the individual either people are going to do stupid **** that hurt others so why not use it for its benefits
  • JohnMessmer
    Options
    Now that these laws are being passed, states are going to have 1] the funding and 2] the need to test and study and come up with reasonable means and measures for enforcing DUI. And really, if you're driving recklessly (regardless of the substance you're on), you're going to get pulled over and be fined,etc. for reckless driving, so it's not like people are just suddenly going to start getting completely high and driving around.

No and if 7-11, or whatever grocery store, starts offering delivery service then there will be no need for the intoxicated drive for the Cheetos run.
This discussion has been closed.