Pot is legal in CO and WA

Options

Replies

• fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    My ultra-liberal, Obama supporting cousin just commented on my facebook that legalizing ISN'T a step forward.

Sad, because her mom owns a pharmaceutical company and is fighting cancer right now. Sad that they can't overlook the stereotypes to see the benefits.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Speaking as proud voter for Colorado's Amendment 64, I can tell you that this will do amazing things for this state. If you've ever been here, you'll know that half the people here partake in the use of marijuana anyway. Now it can be regulated and taxed with the money going towards funding our schools. In addition to that, our tax dollars will no longer be wasted pursuing small time marijuana sellers, growers and users, and can now be spent fighting real crime. Beyond the medicinal qualities of marijuana, it is a very valuable natural resource and we now have the freedom to benefit from it. Thomas Jefferson would be proud.

ETA: There is no difference between this and the end of alcohol prohibition.

:flowerforyou:
  • fbmandy55
    Options
    First off I want to say I am glad that we have medical weed for the people with cancer and other real reasons.
    My mother had cancer and it eased her pain while she died.

I Voted againced it for the following reasons.
    I have had that neighbor that gave it to one of my children!
    I have been woke up at 3 am from traffic to the neighbors house for drug related ( freinds)
    I know personally people that were ( good Parents ) that spend their money on weed then had to
    apply for food stamps to feed their kids because of their priorities.
    I have had to fire a close friend I worked with because she came to work stoned.

I am all for responsible use of weed and alcohal. I hope they put a steep tax on it.
    I have no issue with responsible use of weed I just don't see that happening here in Colorado.

Neighbors can give alcohol and cigarettes to your kids, would that make you feel better?

Noisy neighbors are not a result of drugs. They will always exist.

People who spend money on weed over their kids are going to be ****ty parents regardless.

Friends who get fired for being stoned probably deserved to be fired regardless.

Pot is not to blame for ANY of those reasons.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I'm stoked that it's legal.
    I no longer partake because it's not something I am able to function well on (obviously depends on the strains I've smoked).

I think it's an amazing herb, with great medicinal value. So I'm glad people are getting access to it.
    If/When it's legal in virginia I plan on using it to improve my bulk cycles :D
  • Jenny_Taylia
    Jenny_Taylia Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Question.... Whats going to happen to all the people who are currently in jail because of pot? Will they all be released or finish serving their time?
  • StormyLlewellyn
    Options
    "I am all for responsible use of weed and alcohal. I hope they put a steep tax on it.
    I have no issue with responsible use of weed I just don't see that happening here in Colorado."
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I am all for the legalization of marijuana, but here's my question. How will it be monitored when it comes to vehicular use? I say this, because, I know there were times when I used to smoke that it was not safe for me to be behind the wheel. Fortunately, I had the common sense to wait it out, but not everyone does/will. Atleast with alcohol, there is a system that can relatively determine how intoxicated someone is and have proof to hold them accountable in court. However, there's not really a way to tell, how high someone is. Is there?

Tell them a corny joke and if they laugh hysterically...stoned. :flowerforyou:

:laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    My ultra-liberal, Obama supporting cousin just commented on my facebook that legalizing ISN'T a step forward.

Sad, because her mom owns a pharmaceutical company and is fighting cancer right now. Sad that they can't overlook the stereotypes to see the benefits.

That is really sad.
  • fbmandy55
    Options
    Question.... Whats going to happen to all the people who are currently in jail because of pot? Will they all be released or finish serving their time?

1 in 8 people in the US are in jail for pot-related offenses. They are non-violent and have NOT committed a crime against another person. They shouldn't be there to start with.

And the tax-payers pay around $1 billion a year to jail these people.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

That's a great question. The initiative we worked on in Missouri would have set all the cannabis-only offenders free. I seem to recall that someone said that the CO one would do the same. I am not certain. It's definitely something to find out. They should all be set free and their records should be expunged.
  • Jenny_Taylia
    Options

1 in 8 people in the US are in jail for pot-related offenses. They are non-violent and have NOT committed a crime against another person. They shouldn't be there to start with.

Exactly. So what happens to 22 yr old Jonny who got busted smoking a J in his car and had a few dime baggies???
  • fbmandy55
    Options

Exactly. So what happens to 22 yr old Jonny who got busted smoking a J in his car and had a few dime baggies???

I would assume early release. Most prisons are offering early release for them anyways because the prisons are so full. Many states have opted to writing tickets also, rather than making arrests.
  • Jenny_Taylia
    Options

I would assume early release. Most prisons are offering early release for them anyways because the prisons are so full. Many states have opted to writing tickets also, rather than making arrests.

Right, So again...what about all the people who currently have $100 to $400 tickets/fines to pay? Written off or will the Gov try and snatch as much money as they can while they still can?
  • D_Journey
    D_Journey Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I can't wait for this to come to CA too. Personally, I enjoy smoking, but have quit due to work drug screenings.
    This has led to Wine being what I turn to instead to close out the night/relax.
    Calorie wise, and diet wise, the Wine is much more harmful!
    Note - i've never had issues controlling the munchies. a diet soda is THE BEST when smoking.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Right, So again...what about all the people who currently have $100 to $400 tickets/fines to pay? Written off or will the Gov try and snatch as much money as they can while they still can?

Honestly, with as much as they will be getting in tax money, they can easily write-off all the fines. I think it will depend on the way each initiative was drawn up and on each state legislature.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Stoners rejoice. they can now smoke marijuana like they smoke cigarettes. The American IQ just took a big hit. What do you think?

Marijuana is not a DRUG. It is an herb and a flower. God put the herbs and flowers here on earth for our consumption.

If anything, our IQ is actually raised to allow people to have a choice as to whether they want to drink or smoke.

Drinking is far more dangerous than marijuana.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

That's a great question. The initiative we worked on in Missouri would have set all the cannabis-only offenders free. I seem to recall that someone said that the CO one would do the same. I am not certain. It's definitely something to find out. They should all be set free and their records should be expunged.

Missouri is a lame state to begin with. The ignorance of these people here in Missouri (thinking they are some deep southern state) is appaulable.

Missouri won't even legalize marijuana for medicinal use and I see pot busts all over the place.
  • farfoorah
    Options
    Ya'll smell like **** when you smoke it, though....
  • april_khalia
    april_khalia Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Maybe it is at the State Level... but those states will still have to contend with the Federal Government on this issue.

^^^^^
    Exactly
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    Ya'll smell like **** when you smoke it, though....

I never smelled when I used to smoke it..............and neither did my house.

What we smoked was real earthy smelling, not doo-doo smelling pot.
This discussion has been closed.