Pot is legal in CO and WA

Options

Replies

• jboccio90
    jboccio90 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Question.... Whats going to happen to all the people who are currently in jail because of pot? Will they all be released or finish serving their time?

1 in 8 people in the US are in jail for pot-related offenses. They are non-violent and have NOT committed a crime against another person. They shouldn't be there to start with.

And the tax-payers pay around $1 billion a year to jail these people.

Exactly. So what happens to 22 yr old Jonny who got busted smoking a J in his car and had a few dime baggies???

i'd assume, if at the time jonny committed the crimes it was illegal so punishment still stands.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I voted yes on 64 in Colorado. I do believe that it should be legalized, just like alcohol. I do not think that the usage will spike up. I know several parents who are scared that now their kids are going to light up. My take is your kids are going to light up if its something they want to do.

I never understood it..so I have never smoked it. But to each his own. Mind you..that doesnt mean that if you do something stupid..and you were smoking..wont mean that you can say..well its legal. Same with alcohol.. drive drunk and cause an accident...you will get penalized.

I would rather tax the stuff rather than it be on the streets..I see more benefits (medicinal) than not...besides I think people who are hooked on it should not be thrown in jail, but go to rehab..
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Those lucky *kitten*!:smokin:
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Ya'll smell like **** when you smoke it, though....

I prefer the smell of pot to nasty cigarettes and that disgusting, sweaty booze smell that drunk people get. I also hate perfume, Axe body spray, and Glade plug-ins. The world is full of nasty smells, dear.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    First off I want to say I am glad that we have medical weed for the people with cancer and other real reasons.
    My mother had cancer and it eased her pain while she died.

I Voted againced it for the following reasons.
    I have had that neighbor that gave it to one of my children!
    I have been woke up at 3 am from traffic to the neighbors house for drug related ( freinds)
    I know personally people that were ( good Parents ) that spend their money on weed then had to
    apply for food stamps to feed their kids because of their priorities.
    I have had to fire a close friend I worked with because she came to work stoned.

I am all for responsible use of weed and alcohal. I hope they put a steep tax on it.
    I have no issue with responsible use of weed I just don't see that happening here in Colorado.

Neighbors can give alcohol and cigarettes to your kids, would that make you feel better?

Noisy neighbors are not a result of drugs. They will always exist.

People who spend money on weed over their kids are going to be ****ty parents regardless.

Friends who get fired for being stoned probably deserved to be fired regardless.

Pot is not to blame for ANY of those reasons.

*applause*
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Ya'll smell like **** when you smoke it, though....

I prefer the smell of pot to nasty cigarettes and that disgusting, sweaty booze smell that drunk people get. I also hate perfume, Axe body spray, and Glade plug-ins. The world is full of nasty smells, dear.

Same here! I think it smells wonderful! It *is* a flower, after all. :flowerforyou:
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Now that it's legal it won't be as much fun.

Tell that to people who have been arrested over it.
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to point out the obvious. You don't have to smoke pot to get it's benefits. There are oils you can use in cooking and baking, so for say cancer patients, there is no need to further damage your lungs with smoke. Sprinkle some pot in your spaghetti sauce, add it to some vegetable soup as an herb like you do any other herb. There are many options other than smoking.

And it is still illegal in both states unless you are over 21. So hopefully people are smart enough by then to make an educated choice, like they will have to make concerning alcohol and all other life choices.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Speaking as proud voter for Colorado's Amendment 64, I can tell you that this will do amazing things for this state. If you've ever been here, you'll know that half the people here partake in the use of marijuana anyway. Now it can be regulated and taxed with the money going towards funding our schools. In addition to that, our tax dollars will no longer be wasted pursuing small time marijuana sellers, growers and users, and can now be spent fighting real crime. Beyond the medicinal qualities of marijuana, it is a very valuable natural resource and we now have the freedom to benefit from it. Thomas Jefferson would be proud.

ETA: There is no difference between this and the end of alcohol prohibition.

This. Costs almost no money to grow, package it like cigs, tax the heck out of it. Easy moey source for the government, tax plus less money spent on a failed war on drugs. Legalization puts cartels out of business with minimal muss and fuss.
  • turkishmelly
    turkishmelly Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Are they gonna sell it at stores now?
  • valluco75
    Options
    Im a Republican who believes in the legalization of weed. Cant wait till its legal all over.
  • StormyLlewellyn
    Options
    :laugh:
  • StormyLlewellyn
    Options
    Funny thing is I knew more irrisponsible pot heads when I lived in Misery... lol
    :laugh:
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    I want the obesity figures in both states now and in every 6 months to a year...just saying..
  • Lillyeatslilies
    Options
    :smokin:
  • StormyLlewellyn
    Options
    No joke
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Missouri is a lame state to begin with. The ignorance of these people here in Missouri (thinking they are some deep southern state) is appaulable.

Missouri won't even legalize marijuana for medicinal use and I see pot busts all over the place.

Funny thing is I knew more irrisponsible pot heads when I lived in Misery... lol

I'm not from Missouri... my dad was (he passed)... I'm from Georgia and I can remember visiting family and buying licquor at the gas station at all hours of the night. Needless to say, Georgia is a 'dry' state. I was more than a little shocked.

Not sure the irresponsibility falls entirely on the pot heads.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    So disgusting. Can't wait for my taxes to go a pothead's food stamps for cheetos and his healthcare.
  • specialkyc
    specialkyc Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Clean marijuana plants have way more health benefits than a bottle of hard liquor ever will. If is taxed and regulated properly, it will solve way more problems than it creates.

^^ This!
  • sirthickness
    Options
    Speaking as proud voter for Colorado's Amendment 64, I can tell you that this will do amazing things for this state. If you've ever been here, you'll know that half the people here partake in the use of marijuana anyway. Now it can be regulated and taxed with the money going towards funding our schools. In addition to that, our tax dollars will no longer be wasted pursuing small time marijuana sellers, growers and users, and can now be spent fighting real crime. Beyond the medicinal qualities of marijuana, it is a very valuable natural resource and we now have the freedom to benefit from it. Thomas Jefferson would be proud.

ETA: There is no difference between this and the end of alcohol prohibition.
    Exactly right. What is in it? Are you sure about what you're getting? If you say "yeah man, my guy only sells the best", you're a fool. "Your guy" bought it from another "guy" who destroyed the rental house where he grew it...and he grew it using multiple times more chemicals and pesticides than you would allow in your backyard vegetable garden. Hhmm, something to think about.

Don't get me wrong, if you want to smoke a bow,l feel free. What gets me is some of the lame-heads who run around saying "it's from mother earth man so there is NO harm in it". Seriously??!!

also, if it is legal, gov. can insure laws are in place such that the product is safe/know what's in it.
This discussion has been closed.