ugh too much protein?

Options
1235»

Replies

• Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    That number for protein is a minimum not a maximum. And you need more when you exercise. The only time you eat too much is if you have >300g (ISH) per day for weeks then you'll get kidney stones.

Gosh, i'm gonna die!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Matt_Wild?date=2012-11-07
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Confused as there is conflicting posts. Is the gms of protein per LBM or per overall bodyweight?
  • CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Body will not absorb more then 30 g (approx) of protein per meal, if you eat more it will just get flushed out.
    pls verify ur info :)

Here you go - summary and links -
    Highlights -
    From Mens Health - Drink eight to 10 glasses of water a day and divide your protein among five or six small meals throughout the day. "Eating an average of 25 to 30 grams each meal is ideal," says Lischin. "Not only will you put less stress on your kidneys, but you'll also utilize more of the protein you're ingesting by giving your body only as much as it can use each time."

Read more: http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/eliminate_workout_saboteurs/Thirst.php#ixzz24ZsFurs0

Body can absorb about 30g of protein per sitting

How much protein body can absorb?

http://www.livestrong.com/article/502182-how-much-protein-in-a-meal-can-be-used-by-the-body/

The 30-Gram Rule

While how much protein you absorb can depend upon a number of factors, the generally accepted theory is that the body can take in about 30 g of protein in one sitting, according to Tom Venuto, an author and NSCA-certified personal trainer. This is why many bodybuilders and athletes break up their daily protein intake into several small meals per day. While it is possible your body may digest slightly more protein per serving, the 30 g is a general guideline.

Your sources are an article in Men's Health and a post on Livestrong?

(And I won't even mention the perpetuation of the 8+ glasses of water myth...oh wait, I guess I just did.)

Evidence? Pfsh. I see articles, not studies.

As for above^: "Confused as there is conflicting posts. Is the gms of protein per LBM or per overall bodyweight?"

Per LBM seems to be the sufficient amount, from all studies and whatnot I've read. More can't hurt though
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    It's 3:11 and I've already exercised today. which put me back at 1,014 calories left for the day, but I have one gram of protein left for the day. What to eat?

Eat all the doughnuts!

Seriously, just eat what you like and enjoy. If your workouts are more endurance based and you have no issues with carbs then something nice and balanced with a reasonable amount of carbs, protein and fat: steak rare, big baked potato and homemade coleslaw is a firm favourite in my household.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Thanks Caserat
  • wesl3y60
    wesl3y60 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If this site had a like button it would be on this! lol
  • stbrad6896
    Options
    it always tells me I eat too much protein. I just ignore it.

(You do know you can adjust that, right? I mean, if you're one of those people who don't like the red numbers.)

HAHA... Actually I DONT like the red numbers. I was wondering about that but I couldn't figure out how to do it within a five minute period so I gave up.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    it always tells me I eat too much protein. I just ignore it.

(You do know you can adjust that, right? I mean, if you're one of those people who don't like the red numbers.)

HAHA... Actually I DONT like the red numbers. I was wondering about that but I couldn't figure out how to do it within a five minute period so I gave up.

Goals - Change Goals - Custom...and go from there.
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I just had metabolic testing done and was told that too much protein can be hard on your kidneys, especially as you get older. I think the 1g per 1 kg of weight is about what the dietician recommended for me, so I am going to trust that advice over well-meaning fellow MFPers...
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I just had metabolic testing done and was told that too much protein can be hard on your kidneys, especially as you get older. I think the 1g per 1 kg of weight is about what the dietician recommended for me, so I am going to trust that advice over well-meaning fellow MFPers...

The medical community as a whole sometimes takes a while to leave their old outdated beliefs behind. It's true for protein consumption just like dietary cholesterol, fats in general, and more.

That said, absolutely, believe medical professionals over random advice on the MFP forums...but remember, not all medical professional advice is created equal.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I would not believe a dietitian's opinion over some of the peeps on here. At least here you can check the assertions by reading peer reviewed studies and articles from reputable sources. I would ask your dietitian for some additional information as to where they came up with this.

ETA: higher protein is fine as long as you stay properly hydrated and do not have a pre-existing medical issue.