Why do I still feel hungry after just eating?

Options
1235»

Replies

• Nazy1343
    Nazy1343 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have this problem as well but what I do now is I have half a tea spoon of home made peanut butter mixed with cinnamon when I get hungry and that stops my cravings for a good few hours.
  • dizy31
    Options
    ok, I am not a doctor but I happen to fight the same problem. And with a little investigation and some help from my trainer at the gym. It turns out its two things, either happening at the same time or based off what you have just eaten. One you've over eaten according to your regular diet or have eaten something greasy. Greasy makes you hungry because it passes to fast for your body to absorb nutrients. Two your body needs to work out. My trainer says that sometimes our body will need a good burn and signals get crossed and we feel hungry. If you've eaten naturally we are ready for activity withing 15 to 20 min. and you say its within 15 min. so yes your metabolism wants to burn but in this case you won't burn calories because it needs to be an active burn. Hard to explain but the best I can do. Diz
  • SaucerLiving
    Options
    I just started having this problem recently. Ive lost 30lbs the past 2 months with diet and exercise and really controlling my portion sizes, so I eat up to 5x per day. .. but recently ive felt hungry almost immediately after eating, or not long after. My diet is mostly veggies and fruits. I realize that it could be digestive, but geez is annoying to have physical hunger pains like you haven't ate all day!
  • Smashley1947
    Options
    I didn't read all the posts and I know you said you don't want to be told to drink more water or eat more protein.

But I am going to ask you, Are you sure your are getting enough?? I was having the same problem. It would be 8-9am and I would be starving (breakfast at 6am). I ended up going to a dietician and I was told to eat more protein. The protein that you are eating, is it actually a full protein serving?

I add almond butter to my oatmeal or have peanut butter and toast, plus protein at all meals, I usually don't have that problem anymore.

Also lots of fibre, whole grains, veggies and fruits.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    sounds like you have it all figured out…why are you even asking?
  • ZoeOnly
    ZoeOnly Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Make sure you don't have an ulcer. The beginning of one can make you feel like you're just hungry, but as it progresses it will get worse and then you'll feel a pain in your stomach (feeling like a very severe hunger pain). And yes, you can get ulcer pains after eating food. If you're drinking enough water, eating enough fiber and protein, and still having an issue with hunger, I would talk to your doctor.

I had an ulcer that eventually turned into a bleeding ulcer, all because I thought I was just hungry.

Agreed. I had an ulcer years ago and my stomach always burned right after meals, which felt a lot like hunger. Or something similar like IBS or acid reflux perhaps?
  • sami_83
    sami_83 Posts: 161
    Options
    This may explain why some vegans eat fish.

False. No vegans eat fish.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I am never full. I, literally, several pounds of food at a time and am still hungry. You just learn to cope. You're not alone.
  • ashleyvanscoten
    Options
    I'd bet that the majority are because it is certainly true that the typical overweight person is eating too much fat and sugar and nowhere near enough protein and fiber.
  • ashleyvanscoten
    Options
    I'm curious, how does one know the "age" of their metabolism?
  • lankyrose
    lankyrose Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem, only its not phantom hunger or the wrong foods... I have to have an endoscopy performed because my doctors dont understand why my stomach is pumping out too much stomach acids, which is digesting my food faster than it should which is making me hungry ALL the time!. Small portions, large portions doesn't matter. I have burps, and a sour tummy all the time, and yet no ulcer found when I had my initial tests done.
  • jasminepilgrim
    Options
    I have the same problem . worst feeling in the world. it did not start until a couple of days ago but I am a runner and I do not need to feel the way that I do. i just hope that I throw it all up really. i drink water . I drank 3 bottles last night and I ate . I just don't know what it is:grumble:
  • crashleyw
    crashleyw Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am so happy I've found people just like me! YAY! I thought I was all alone in this. It started about a year ago and everyone thought I was crazy. Doctor ran a bunch of blood tests and didn't come up with anything and I just kinda hit a dead end after that.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Try stopping thinking about food.....
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I ate so much for so many years that I was pretty much never hungry. I actually enjoy feeling hungry now. It feels "right".

This.

It took me a couple weeks after I changed my eating to even feel hungry, I wasn't used to the feeling. it was exciting. haha.

Years ago when I was still big, a "naturally skinny" girl I knew was telling me about what she ate etc and one of the things she mentioned is that she didn't mind feeling hungry. This was such an eye opener for me. For me the feeling of hunger was a feeling of being deprived, it would nearly make me panic. Had to eat. Now.

And I still often think about those words. Like last night, when I had my dinner later than usual and my stomach was growling. In the past, I would have stopped the growling with a quick chocolate bar, now I was happy to wait until my dinner was cooked.
    It's okay to feel a bit hungry, it won't kill you, it doesn't need an instant solution.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I am never full. I, literally, several pounds of food at a time and am still hungry. You just learn to cope. You're not alone.

This is me...I am still in the mdidle of the battle...very frustrating...
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I ate so much for so many years that I was pretty much never hungry. I actually enjoy feeling hungry now. It feels "right".

This.

It took me a couple weeks after I changed my eating to even feel hungry, I wasn't used to the feeling. it was exciting. haha.

Years ago when I was still big, a "naturally skinny" girl I knew was telling me about what she ate etc and one of the things she mentioned is that she didn't mind feeling hungry. This was such an eye opener for me. For me the feeling of hunger was a feeling of being deprived, it would nearly make me panic. Had to eat. Now.

And I still often think about those words. Like last night, when I had my dinner later than usual and my stomach was growling. In the past, I would have stopped the growling with a quick chocolate bar, now I was happy to wait until my dinner was cooked.
    It's okay to feel a bit hungry, it won't kill you, it doesn't need an instant solution.

Agreed on "hunger won;t kill you" but it's also true that it's a very unpleasant feeling, especially when you have to deal with this on top of other stresses of daily life...
  • lavender_fairie
    lavender_fairie Posts: 76 Member
    Options

[/quote]

I've been thinking about this ^^ ever since you wrote it- thank you for passing it along. It doesn't necessarily feel good to feel hungry, but it's not the worst thing. I grew up hungry. I stayed tiny until I had my babies, and i had been eating too much ever since until nowadays. Reading your memory puts my feelings of hunger in context for me- it's not fun, but it is not horrible either. Especially when you know you HAVE eaten enough today.
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options

I've been thinking about this ^^ ever since you wrote it- thank you for passing it along. It doesn't necessarily feel good to feel hungry, but it's not the worst thing. I grew up hungry. I stayed tiny until I had my babies, and i had been eating too much ever since until nowadays. Reading your memory puts my feelings of hunger in context for me- it's not fun, but it is not horrible either. Especially when you know you HAVE eaten enough today.

You're welcome. It's funny how such a flippant comment can be such an eye opener. Well i was to me anyway :laugh:

And of course I agree, feeling hungry obviously isn't a pleasant feeling, but it's okay, just call it what it is, put it in a box and get over it, to say it bluntly.
  • momsabomb
    Options
    I have read that hunger pangs are actually caused by your stomach shrinking, so, according to this, hunger pangs are desirable and needed in order to get our stomachs back to a normal size. This is God's version of "gastric bypass" surgery, Yay! No down time, no real pain, and no scars! Look at this as a positive and desirable occurrence and you'll welcome it!