I need a good comeback! Tired of being made fun of...

Options

Replies

• zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    How awful! :( Don't hesitate to stick up for yourself though! Try to do it respectfully, but if they don't back off, then sometimes you have to lay down the law. They probably think they are just being funny and good-natured and don't realize how much it hurts your feelings. There are a lot worse things that being a vegetarian and making fun of you for it is ridiculous! I wear skirts and don't cut my hair and I used to be teased a lot for it by certain family members but after a while they finally got the picture that this is who I am and I'm not changing it and they backed off. Hold your head up high and eat those veggies! :)
  • LynnieG85
    LynnieG85 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    If Jesus was standing in front of me I would probably pass out and not give a damn about the fish lol.

This gave me a good giggle :) I'm not a vegetarian, but I couldn't give a *kitten* if others are. Each to their own, it's none of my business. Tell them to take a flying *kitten* to themselves.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    bring gruesome photos of slaughterhouses with you and leave them on the dinner table before meal time. that will shut them up. or, what everyone else said...**** off. i hate that ****, i too am a vegetarian (not as long as you, only 10 years) and i ****ing hate when people are like you don't eat me? what do you eat? i eat food, dumbass.

Yeah, I clean and eat lots wild game and fish...that wouldn't phase me...
  • darisey
    darisey Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Nicely tell them how you feel. I would not post anything on FB. I would talk directly to those saying the comments. It should be handled in a kind way though. Being hateful or flying off the handle will not help your cause. Hopefully they will see things differently after that.

I second this. Posting on fb about it seems just as immature as their comments.
    Just tell them that you feel disrespected by their comments and you would rather them try to think of something else to discuss.
  • AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I'd be a smart*ss and preprint some handouts that answer all the FAQs. Rather than answer someone's question for the 19th time, just hand them a flyer and smile :)
  • wholelottarosa
    Options
    I think from what you wrote you are probably from a religious family, am I right?
    I say, beat them at their own game. (Not being religious myself, I googled around a bit.)

How about Colossians 2:16:
    Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath.

There's tons more at http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081015012009AAJkUug for example.
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Say absolutely nothing. Neither defend nor justify, it shows weakness.

Just say 'no thanks' as if you were turning down a glass of water

People resort to type in family situations. Don't get drawn into it
  • mommycharlie
    mommycharlie Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Wow that is really disrespectful of your family and friends. Have you told them how much it bothers you? If so and they keep doing it stop going. They may think they are just teasing you but it sounds kinda like bullying.

^^^this^^^
    Totally agree. If after being asked to stop and yet they continue, don't go. Have a pleasant, relaxing night in. They may or may not get it but you will keep your mind free from all of their disrespectful comments.
  • jeanholly
    jeanholly Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Release the "crazy". That will shut them up.

always works for me!
  • itsmyvwbeetle
    itsmyvwbeetle Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I would probably do a little pre-Thanksgiving preparation. I would send out a message (email, text, facebook) to all of those who constantly offend you and say that you have not enjoyed Thanksgiving in the past due to the constant remarks and realize we are all different and have different lifestyles and you respect them and hope they can make this a great Thanksgiving for you as well by respecting you.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Its rude..plain and simple. you are being healthy..and ai think thats what pisses them off more rather than you being a vegatarian. people know what healthy and whats not..what they should/should not eat.

putting you down makes them feel better about themselves..pettiness is an ugly sweater people like to wear during the holidays.

I would try to tell them to be more respectful...and if not..I would walk out. Your husband should back you up ..and be ready to walk out if you do..

Its the holidays..and you should be able to enjoy them..not dread them..
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Release the "crazy". That will shut them up.

always works for me!

that would just reinforce a stereotype...
  • Crookey21
    Crookey21 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    id b all...F U! IM GOING HOME!

but yea...mayb if u make fun of yourself then they wont get as much pleasure in making fun of u.

or avoid them all together.
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have the keys to the car, let hubby know ahead of time that he's either with you or you're leaving him behind and as soon as anyone says anything, just said "That's it, I'm done" and get up and leave, no other explanations, no good byes, nothing just leave.
    I've had to do this once with my stepgrandmother, I hated hurting my grandfather, but I was tired of the hurt because she takes the fact that I am single and have no kids (not by choice, the single male population is apparently not interested in me) as a failure and likes to comment about it or remind me that I am the ONLY grandchild that is still single and has no kids. After many years of leaving the holiday family get together in tears and completely depressed, I'd had enough. As soon as she (or anyone else) says anything on that topic, I leave. It's getting fewer and far between that I have to leave.
  • mississippi_queen
    mississippi_queen Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    anigif_idc-17858-1311881440-1.gif
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, I have strange allergies (grapes, peppers, avocado and quinoa) and I invariably get the "oh do you want some wine? Oh I forgot, you can't drink wine!" and then it becomes a big discussion about how many people around the table would just "die" if they had to forego wine and that my life must be SO difficult. The most effective means to channel the conversation for me is to address it directly by bringing my own non-grape wines (they do exist!) and/or asking if the host has any good scotch they'd be willing to share instead.

I wouldn't post anything on facebook, that's the kind of passive-agressive stuff that's just going to lead to holiday drama. I'd be a bit more direct and pack my own holiday meal, sit down at the table with it and say "I know you guys have been trying REALLY hard to find something for me to eat for the last couple of years, so I thought I'd save you the trouble and bring the vegetarian option myself. Bon Appetit everyone!" OR talk to the host ahead of time and ask them what vegetarian option they're preparing. I've always figured that if I invite a vegetarian friend over for a holiday meal I have to provide enough for them to eat, it's never been a problem really. If they're going to treat you like you're "special" (aka try to get a rise out of you) act like you're special. Don't downplay it. You're eating choices are your own and they should be respected, no need to try to hide them!
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Host Thanksgiving dinner at your house and don't serve any meat! Or how bad would it be if you just don't show up?

Kinda my thought...
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    that's so rude!

I was a vegetarian for about 5 years. I got those comments all the time. Can't say I ever got the hang of what to say other than just changing the subject.

:(

Maybe you should just assert yourself to make it clear that it is NOT funny and it's NOT appropriate conversation. They had their change to make light of it appropriately, and they've failed to be civil about it. Be a *****, stand up for yourself, and hopefully they'll get that you're seriously fed up with it. And make sure that your husband backs you up. Maybe even have him talk privately to the members of his family to get the point across.

Whatever you do, don't feel like you have to endure this! If it can't be fixed, distance yourself. You are not obligated to like your in laws.
  • KitchenAbs
    Options
    Don't post on FB. You're not a 13 year old girl.

Just say that you've been veggie long enough for the remarks to become disrespectful and you won't be in attendance if anyone feels the need to make fun of you. When you're there, give them one warning and if they do it again simply leave.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    There's only one acceptable course of action is this scenario:

tumblr_mcz9pjy7wV1rbdzpeo8_500.gif