I need a good comeback! Tired of being made fun of...

Options

Replies

• angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I love the handout idea. Releasing the inner crazy. Mmm. No. Tempting but no. I personally like the quote, "When I want your opinion I'll beat it out of you" but that comes under the heading of releasing the inner crazy. I'm so sorry you catch flack for your dietary habits. They need to STFU and get a life. *HUGS*
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Bring the most graphic and nasty slaughter house pictures you can find and when they start in on you, walk around and lay them in front of the ham and turkey with notes on them saying "This is what I did so you can eat me. Signed, The Turkey (or The Pig)" Also, drop a couple on the dining room table as well.

OR, find a really long and I mean REALLY long study on how being a vegan is much more healthy and when they start in, say, "Here, I brought some material for you to read. When you are done reading every singe word, you're welcome to ask me any question you would like, but not until then."

OR, bring in some road kill, slap it on the table all bloody and nasty and say, "IF we're gonna eat meat, then lets do it right and eat it fresh. All you experienced animal killers, skin and gut this thing so we can chow down!"

OR, What everyone else said.
  • LesleeBeAlive
    Options
    I have the opposite problem. I get made fun of for eating undercooked meat, but it usually turns out the same way; people making animal sounds. I just eat like an animal and don't worry about it. After a long day of smelling dinner cooking and going to the gym all week I'm just too hungry to care.

Weird, I have never been made fun of for this.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Tell them you're an atheist, they'll forget all about the vegetarian thing.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    bring gruesome photos of slaughterhouses with you and leave them on the dinner table before meal time. that will shut them up. or, what everyone else said...**** off. i hate that ****, i too am a vegetarian (not as long as you, only 10 years) and i ****ing hate when people are like you don't eat me? what do you eat? i eat food, dumbass.

You beat me to my idea.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Their behavior sounds inappropriate to the point of being abusive. I just. . . . Wow.

I had an uncle tell me not to eat their oleander bushes because they are poisonous, but he was just joking with me. Their treatment of you is disgusting. If that had happened to me, I would never have darkened their doorway ever again. If you HAVE to go, then I see nothing wrong with your Facebook post.

Heck, I would probably just flip the table and storm out.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    We all get anxious over holiday dinners. Seeing people we never talk to, trying to be nice, wondering what your crazy uncle is going to blurt out and embarrass you with.

I would take the direct approach instead of being passive aggressive.
    It's not the fun option and it takes some guts but I believe your family, extended and otherwise, will ultimately respect you and your decisions to be a vegetarian more.

Wait for them to chime it, don't do it ahead of time because that will just make it seem like you've been stewing about this all year.
    When they do, say something such as "I'm sorry but I don't find your remarks funny. In fact, they're insulting. There's not need to make fun" Then just drop it and enjoy your meal.

If you need to bring your own food and prepare with them, do that. Better yet offer to make a whole dish for the dinner so they can understand that eating vegetarian can be sooo yummy too!

This is my favorite suggestion by far. If they're being bullying childish idiots, the best way to counteract that is to take the high road. Sounds like this is how they usually treat each other or others who have different views from them and they likely expect someone to be defensive and fly off the handle. Going the other way, being the one who's calm, logical and mature can really throw them for a loop.

If they continue after you've told them how you feel, then I'd be prepared to leave. Tell them you're really tired of being made to feel like you're some sort of freak and refuse to take the abuse any more.

While I'm not a vegetarian, I can somewhat relate. My in-laws are all idiots like this and use sarcasm and backhanded compliments to communicate. It is so annoying! Thankfully we don't have to deal with them much anymore...
  • dkrieser
    dkrieser Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I understand to a degree. I don't eat pork. So all my life I have been questioned... I was raised not to eat it. Now I don't bc well never had, why start now... it is not "good" for me as far as missing some nutritional value. I just shrug it off tell them basically that well bc I don't and it doesn't hurt me to not eat it. I am also doing a lot of research now on GMOs and trying to switch my family to non GMO products and organic.. Geezzz... people around me have no idea what that is even about and make fun off me for not eating certain foods that I know contain GMO. I will educate them if they are interested or encourage them to educate themselves. Otherwise... just got to do what is best for you and tell them to respect you for that.
  • Crookey21
    Crookey21 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    guilt trips run rampant in my family!!
  • Stella2070
    Stella2070 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I think from what you wrote you are probably from a religious family, am I right?
    I say, beat them at their own game. (Not being religious myself, I googled around a bit.)

How about Colossians 2:16:
    Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath.

There's tons more at http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081015012009AAJkUug for example.

I was just getting ready to post along the same lines...pretty sure "in the beginning" the animals weren't here for food. Herbs were given for food. Genesis, somewhere, maybe??? Tell them it was only after everything went to hell people were given the okay to eat animals.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    You are 25, you are an adult. Respectuflly (don't get all rude) tell them that this is your choice, and while they may not understand or even agree with it they can keep their opinions to themself.

Also take some vegetarian dishes with you - I have a friend that has a christmas party every year and a few of our friends are vegetarians and have been for a long while. They bring vegetarian dishes with them and put them on the table and once some of our more close minded friends tried the dishes and found out how delicious they were the jokes/comments stopped.

You need to just stand up for your beliefs. Or you can be a whiney cry baby and make a big deal out of it and then create a big scene and upset everyone.... or you can just not go. you are afterall an adult and you do NOT have to go anywhere you don't want to go.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Oh, I'm sorry. I thought I came to eat food, not *kitten*. Must be the wrong house. Is this 315 A$sh*le Lane?

I'm sorry, let me clarify what I mean by "vegetarian." It is someone who doesn't support the breeding and raising of animals for the soul purpose of killing them. It's no different than cooking [insert pet name] for dinner after raising him/her for 10 years. But hey, it's for the better. I mean if you weren't so spineless, I'm sure you'd serial kill humans instead of animals.

Sorry, I was too busy living 10 years longer than you. What did you say?

Or during dinner, you can just ask something about the cleanliness of the animals...
    like... "Anyone ever wonder if turkeys have their own version of aids?"
  • dValkyrie
    dValkyrie Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Gosh… where would I start…

The idea of bringing a bottle of ammonia and offering it as a dressing for everyone appeals. When they give you an incredulous look, tell them to give you the same respect and not ruin your meal either.

If one person starts into it, politely tell them that being a ****tard at a holiday gathering is rude.

And if the whole family dives in, stand up on a chair and speechify how you hate to be a drama queen but they've all backed you into a corner and you're sick of it. If one more person makes a comment about what you choose to put on your plate, even after knowing for years about your personal choice and despite having this conversation numerous times, you're going to disown them.

If they can't find something new to discuss, bring up someone else's divorce, affair, illegitimate child, etc. Granted this is all petty and un-christian.

You also have the choice of using their own scripture on them as another poster offered. Rebuke with all authority!
  • havetubawilltravel
    havetubawilltravel Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Nicely tell them how you feel. I would not post anything on FB. I would talk directly to those saying the comments. It should be handled in a kind way though. Being hateful or flying off the handle will not help your cause. Hopefully they will see things differently after that.

/\ This. But I'd go one step further--
    Make sure you've spoken individually and privately to each of the "teasers" first, so they are aware of your feelings without the perception(on their part) of you making a scene about it. Make written notes of the date and time of your conversation with each. Then if one persists, well, make your scene, substantially as follows:

"Enough. You have known I'm a vegetarian for __ years, and all your comments have been made before.
    They now irritate me to the point I will NOT put up with them any more, and I spoke to you in private about that..
    I respectfully request an apology right now or I'm leaving, and I WILL leave at the next comment without requesting an apology.
    I will miss you folks, but I won't miss your childishness and lack of respect for my obviously long-held beliefs.
    Let me know when you've grown up, and I'll come back."

If they don't comply, they are unworthy of your company.
    BTW, I am NOT a vegetarian, myself, but I DO refrain from teasing people when they ask.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just be honest with them...."I know you don't understand why I'm vegetarian and probably never will. It hurts my feelings when questioned about it constantly so can we go this year without the comments?"

This :(
  • RVfrog
    RVfrog Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    seen this on a church sign and it said" People who anger you CONTROL you.....don't let someone else's comment make you so mad that they control.....your thinking.....forget it....no comment to them is what I'd do. Maybe they are just jealous......Fix your plate do what you want and who cares what they do or say. Jerks......
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    "I don't make rude comments and noises about what you choose to eat. Stop making rude comments and noises about what I choose to eat. This joke is so last year and the year before that and the year before that. Have you no imagination?"
  • pedraz
    pedraz Posts: 173
    Options
    The Jerk Store called, they want you back.

Still chucklingggginggggginggg
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem. I get made fun of for eating undercooked meat, but it usually turns out the same way; people making animal sounds. I just eat like an animal and don't worry about it. After a long day of smelling dinner cooking and going to the gym all week I'm just too hungry to care.

Weird, I have never been made fun of for this.
    You're welcomed to take my place at the family christmas party. When they have a barbecue, I cook my own food. My mom will boil a roast for three days and then cook it, because she thinks she's going to get mad cow disease. I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. I used to get in trouble all the time when I was a kid getting into raw meat in the fridge.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I would just tell them how disrespectful they are being and ow much it upsets me. You have respect for the fact that they eat meat, and they should do the same for you. Especially since it's family and friends. Bring your own main dish to add to the dinners if you need to. If you just explain to them how its making you feel and how rude it is to comment on somebody's eating habits, they should stop.