Has anyone deleted their Facebook account?

Options
I'm seriously considering it. Things are about to change drastically in my life, and I'd rather not have people looking at my FB account. Nothing too terrible, but I don't want it to hurt any chances for a better opportunity in the near future. Has anyone deleted their FB, Twitter accounts? I'll (of course) keep my linkedin account...for various reasons.

Replies

• ekkand
    ekkand Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Yeah you can either delete it or deactivate it. Deactivating it just makes it look deleted until you sign in again and then it's back to normal and completely deleting it, it's gone. I did it about 2 years ago and don't regret it a bit.
  • loliblullama
    loliblullama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Yes. I did it 3 months ago an it was the best thing I have done in forever.
  • Sick_Beard
    Sick_Beard Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Hi all my name is Steven and I have been clean of using Facebook for the past 7 months...

*everyone claps hands*
  • CocoCerise
    Options
    I did a couple of weeks ago. Don't miss it at all!
  • CocoCerise
    Options
    Hi all my name is Steven and I have been clean of using Facebook for the past 7 months...

*everyone claps hands*

lol!! Hi Steven! Welcome to Facebookers Anonymous.
  • bethz18
    Options
    Deleted my facebook and twitter about a week ago and I do not miss it at all
  • LuccyH
    LuccyH Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I did it once but had to activated again for school but I think you will be in their system forever anyway. And good to know cos I thought when I deactivated it will disappear forever but it didn't. So next time I will delete it, just have to wait when I finish my University.
  • ekkand
    Options
    I actually deleted my Facebook, twitter, Instagram, and anything that has to do with social media (besides MFP) a while ago and it's a great feeling. No need to have everyone and their mother know what is going on in my life. If they are important in my life, they will know.
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I'm seriously considering it. Things are about to change drastically in my life, and I'd rather not have people looking at my FB account. Nothing too terrible, but I don't want it to hurt any chances for a better opportunity in the near future. Has anyone deleted their FB, Twitter accounts? I'll (of course) keep my linkedin account...for various reasons.

I deleted my Facebook in march and never looked back :)
  • hilaryhealth
    Options
    I do! Every once in a while I need a break from the Facebook drama:grumble: . I've done it for months at a time or just a few weeks. :smile:
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I did in January. I feel good and "free" but the only cons are that my friends go out without me because the invites were on Facebook. And my friends get married and/or pregnant or die or something and I don't know anything about it. So before you do (if you do), take down all the phone numbers and ways to stay in contact with the people you want to stay in touch with.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I deactivated my account about 2 years ago then had to reactivate it for school. A couple of my computer classes involved social media and we had to do research and papers that were posted on the facebook page for the book we used. Have a nut job relative who kept stalking and harassing me on facebook. Was so happy the day my classes were over and I could deactivate my account. Wish I knew how to delete the account for good but never saw anything like that. Just saw how to deactivate. Haven't been on facebook in over a year now and I can say I've never been happier.
  • fit_spired_vicky
    Options
    Yeah, I did, after two days I signed in
  • supersmiles11
    supersmiles11 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Nope but have deleted twitter. Lasted 2 months on twitter before decided it was a waste of space in my life... never looked back!
  • no_stagnation
    Options
    I deleted/deactivated my Facebook account about 6 months ago.

I am happier without it, although I am tempted from time to time to reactivate it.

Giving up Facebook, is kind of like giving up cigarettes.
  • ekkand
    Options
    I recommend deactivating it before you full on delete it. That way you can still sign in again if you feel the need to be on Facebook again without having to make a whole new profile.
  • LadyBeryl
    LadyBeryl Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Glad to see you can deactivate it. I only log on to get some coupon or promotional code.

I don't feel sorry for people who get burned by negative things they put out on Facebook and other sites.

1. Don't put ANYTHING out on the internet that you wouldn't want attributed to you and known around the world forever. Only put things on the internet that you would share with your parents, grandparents, clergy, kids, grandkids and employers -- current and future.
    2. Don't depend on internet privacy claims.
  • Tamie_Girl
    Tamie_Girl Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    No, didn't delete my account ... but just yesterday I deleted 40 friends. Friends who we have never interacted on Facebook.

Get this, I call Facebook ... FAKE BOOK.

:drinker:
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    I was absolutely tied to the house for a long time looking after my mum who has dementia it was a great outlet to see what was happening I would have felt very cut off without it!:smile:
  • Tamie_Girl
    Tamie_Girl Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Question, if you do delete your Facebook account - wonder if you should delete ALL your friends first - then de-activate your account? That way, they don't see your name still on their Friends List.

I think it's odd you can still see De-activated Friends on your Friends List. I don't like that.

Thoughts?