Are The People On Here more Susceptible To Eating Disorders?

Options

Replies

• NocturnalGirl
    Options
    I would be willing to say that most people on the site have an ED... That's why we are here. We didn't become over weight because we have a healthy relationship with food. Whether you eat entirely too much and gain weight, or you don't eat, or you eat and throw up and lose weight..it's an ED.

Might want to look up what constitutes an ED

This.
    Overeating =/= binge eating.
    They are two different things, it's about the mindset.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    beansprouts.........are u mad?

Get real... Do I look like the kind of person who would get half naked and then do youtube bodybuilding videos from my kitchen?...My head is on straight...If I'm in the kitchen...I'm eating!

I am so confused. The post + your answer = no sense
    Everytime I see your user name I think of the first Simpson's Tree House of Horrors: "Well, if you wanted to make Sarauk the Preparer cry, mission accomplished." I literally say that in my head every time I see a post from you.
    Lol- everytime I see you post I think of tuna brownies! :laugh:
    Huh...I can't say that I think of anything when I see a post from you; I don't even know who you are, honestly.
    Its cool tuna brownie. You don't need to know who I am. I lurk in the shadows.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    The fitness world in general is a breeding ground for obsessive behavior.

I think part of the reason is that more attention to detail yields better results, up to a certain point. It's often difficult to know where to draw the line between consistently doing the things that matter and obsessing over details that don't.
    I have to agree with this. Personally, I don't plan on logging everything for the rest of my life. That being said, I don't plan on competing for the rest of my life either. See, where I am going with this.

"Eyeballing" is a skill that requires time and patience. Time and patience is something that is not advertised when you're told you can have the body of your dreams in two weeks.....

Eating disorders go both ways from the person who eats 5,000 calories a day and only claims they ate 1,000 to the person who freaks out if they go over a gram in protein.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options

Get real... Do I look like the kind of person who would get half naked and then do youtube bodybuilding videos from my kitchen?...My head is on straight...If I'm in the kitchen...I'm eating!

You actually don't look like a person at all, you look like Puss n Boots.

ETA: Wow, there is a LOT of misunderstanding about what an eating disorder actually is here. Unless you have an MA or PhD in psychology with emphasis on eating disorders OR you've been diagnosed with one and/or have carried one around like luggage for half your life, you probably have no idea what you're talking about. And stating that someone in a cut/bulk cycle has an eating disorder is absurd.
  • NicoleisQuantized
    NicoleisQuantized Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    What differentiates an eating disorder from disordered eating is acute fear and anxiety. As alluded to above, those who have a propensity for perfectionism and mood and anxiety disorders are more likely to develop an ED.

Also, an ED is characterized by the obsessive need for control. To this end, life events that cause distress, or the feeling of losing control are associated with the onset of EDs. To control calories in/ calories out is much more tractable; you feel in control.

I am speaking from my knowledge of what qualifies an ED on the DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders) and personal experience.
  • RiverDancer68
    RiverDancer68 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    There are some people who are more susceptible to developing an eating disorder (which I like to consider a very specific flavor of obsessive-compulsive disorder) than others. I'd say we're all at least a little obsessive here, as you almost have to be if counting calories is going to work for you, but there are definitely some of us who are more anxious than others and who are thus more at risk of going down that road. I'm not sure data exist to say definitively whether more people with that predisposition tend to use calorie-tracking apps and sites like this, but I wouldn't be surprised if that particular flavor of anxiety were overrepresented in our sample here.

Yes, yes, yes!!! I had to take a break at the beginning of the year because I had dropped my weight too low. Prior to MFP, I never paid any attention to calorie counting (I just ate when I was hungry and stopped when I was full), but it became obsessive and I got down to about an 18.9% BMI. I put some weight on and have really tried to not let it get to that point again...I have General Anxiety Disorder and a mild form of OCD, so weighing food, and counting my calories down to the decimal point took over my life...for awhile :smile:

If that's you in your photo--and it's current--I'd suggest changing your goal weight (looking at your ticker). I hope you've reached a healthier place.

Just updated it! I actually don't pay attention to it any more...I'm really here for the fitness part now! Trying to keep up with all of these youngin's :laugh: Thanks though!!:flowerforyou:
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Many men develop eating disorders as a result of trying to “bulk up” and build muscle mass.

Source? Or is this you own opinion, for what that is worth?

http://www.casapalmera.com/articles/9-myths-about-eating-disorders/
  • katiefridley
    katiefridley Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    It's no wonder that nobody (at least in America) knows how to eat.

As a child, I was taught that each day I should eat a giant pyramid of food. There was a loaf of bread on the bottom which seemed an excessive way to start... and those unhulled oats, yikes! And that bowl of rice... AND the bowl of pasta.. wow! I'm full already. But then they piled on the entire head of broccoli, the head of lettuce, those carrots and geez... was it a potato? I thought I was ready to explode already but then I had to eat a bunch of grapes, a banana, an apple and an orange. But there were still more layers. I had to eat an entire chicken, a pork chop and an egg. Then I had to drink a glass of milk, eat some yogurt and take on a wheel of cheese. And as if this weren't enough... it was topped with sugar cubes, salt and lard.

Or my parents just took me to McDonald's and got it over with in one fell swoop!

You didn't understand as a child that if it says '2-3 servings' you were given an OPTION of those foods in each category to eat? I did...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Many men develop eating disorders as a result of trying to “bulk up” and build muscle mass.

You are talking about this extract I assume?

"Myth #4: Men who have eating disorders are usually gay. Sexual preference has nothing to do with developing an eating disorder. Many men develop eating disorders as a result of trying to “bulk up” and build muscle mass. Restricting diet, using steroids and other methods of controlling weight can lead to an eating disorder when they become obsessive behavior in an attempt to achieve physical perfection.."

Please note the part about obsessive behavior. You will find that the attempt to gain LBM does not necessarily mean obsessive behavior in an attempt to achieve physical perfection. You obviously have no idea as to the many reasons why people do bulk/cut cycles and do not seem to comprehend that most are trying to improve themselves but not to the level of obsessing over physical perfection. Your insistence that basically everyone doing bulk/cut cycles have an ED is quite frankly preposterous.
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options

Everytime I see your user name I think of the first Simpson's Tree House of Horrors: "Well, if you wanted to make Sarauk the Preparer cry, mission accomplished." I literally say that in my head every time I see a post from you.
    Huh...I can't say that I think of anything when I see a post from you; I don't even know who you are, honestly.
    I guess that would explain why I've never taken notice of a post by you before then, although the number under your username is pretty large.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    This thread really seems to downplay what an eating disorder really is about - I say this from personal experience.

The National Eating Disorders Assocation states that: "While eating disorders may begin with preoccupations with food and weight, they are most often about much more than food. People with eating disorders often use food and the control of food in an attempt to compensate for feelings and emotions that may otherwise seem over-whelming. For some, dieting, bingeing, and purging may begin as a way to cope with painful emotions and to feel in control of one’s life, but ultimately, these behaviors will damage a person’s physical and emotional health, self-esteem, and sense of competence and control."
    http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/nedaDir/files/documents/handouts/WhatCaus.pdf

While there are no single causes for eating disorders, there are various factors found:
    http://www.umm.edu/patiented/articles/what_causes_eating_disorders_000049_3.htm

I believe that while calorie counting can get obsessive, I don't believe it means that people will simply get eating disorders this way. It depends on the person themselves, factors to consider are their cultural, familial, environmental, emotional and biological backgrounds.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    What differentiates an eating disorder from disordered eating is acute fear and anxiety. As alluded to above, those who have a propensity for perfectionism and mood and anxiety disorders are more likely to develop an ED.

Also, an ED is characterized by the obsessive need for control. To this end, life events that cause distress, or the feeling of losing control are associated with the onset of EDs. To control calories in/ calories out is much more tractable; you feel in control.

I am speaking from my knowledge of what qualifies an ED on the DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders) and personal experience.

This exactly.
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options

"Myth #4: Men who have eating disorders are usually gay. Sexual preference has nothing to do with developing an eating disorder. Many men develop eating disorders as a result of trying to “bulk up” and build muscle mass. Restricting diet, using steroids and other methods of controlling weight can lead to an eating disorder when they become obsessive behavior in an attempt to achieve physical perfection.."

Please note the part about obsessive behavior. You will find that the attempt to gain LBM does not necessarily mean obsessive behavior in an attempt to achieve physical perfection. You obviously have no idea as to the many reasons why people do bulk/cut cycles and do not seem to comprehend that most are trying to improve themselves but not to the level of obsessing over physical perfection. Your insistence that basically everyone doing bulk/cut cycles have an ED is quite frankly preposterous.

Well since you NEED to believe that YOU know everything...I just provided a word for word source for that particular idea.

If you are still unsatisfied with the idea...then...Why don't you dial up the telephone number provided by that organization and complain/argue your point with them...Apparently they have lots of trained personnel who are use to dealing with quarrelsome individuals such as yourself.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

I guess that would explain why I've never taken notice of a post by you before then, although the number under your username is pretty large.
    I get that you're trying to insult me. Try harder.
  • ZUMBAMomma84
    Options
    I'm not, I'm just fat after baby :D
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Well since you NEED to believe that YOU know everything...I just provided a word for word source for that particular idea.

If you are still unsatisfied with the idea...then...Why don't you dial up the telephone number provided by that organization and complain/argue your point with them...Apparently they have lots of trained personnel who are use to dealing with quarrelsome individuals such as yourself.

You are making these wild accusations. I am saying you are talking nonsense. You have totally taken what they are saying out of context. I am not saying I have an issue with that site - its your interpretation of what they say I am arguing with.

My disagreeing with the this nonsense does not make me quarrelsome - it makes me someone willing to speak my mind when I see someone write drivel.

And it may help you achieve your goals if you calmed down a bit. High levels of cortisol are not good for weight loss :flowerforyou:
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options

I get that you're trying to insult me. Try harder.
    I'm not trying to insult you. I don't know why you'd think I was.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I like the word drivel.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options

You're right, I've developed an obsession with eating steak, burgers, pizza, fried chicken, cheesecake, and all these other delicious foods because I need to meet my calorie goals.
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    We mustn't forget that orthorexia (unhealthy obsession with eating healthy food) is also an ED...