Are The People On Here more Susceptible To Eating Disorders?

Options
123457»

Replies

• manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Yes I think its possible. I wouldn't put myself in the 'disorder' category, obsessed is probably a more apt description. The thought of going over 1200 freaks me right out. Even when I burn off 1000 cal through exercise I have to force myself to eat more but it scares me.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Many men develop eating disorders as a result of trying to “bulk up” and build muscle mass.

I do not have a clue how you managed to equate a bulking and cutting regime to an eating disorder. I read through all your points in this thread and it still isn't clear to me why you would think what is involved in bulking or cutting is unhealthy. Do you realise that to be able to build muscle you have to 'bulk'. It's not just a case of stuffing yourself with junk food. Most people would prefer to do a 'clean bulk' which would involve eating high volumes of lean protein and healthy carbs for a certain amount of time. After you feel you've made gains by eating well and training you simply cut back cals below TDEE to reduce your body fat and 'reveal' the muscle you've built.

Ok it might not be your bag, you you might think it's a waste of time but some people do like muscle, and bulking/cutting (and training) is how that look is achieived. But just because it's not your preference doesn't mean it's unhealthy or ED forming. It's just how it's done. It's a means to an end, not an obsessive compulsion!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Many men develop eating disorders as a result of trying to “bulk up” and build muscle mass.

You're right, I've developed an obsession with eating steak, burgers, pizza, fried chicken, cheesecake, and all these other delicious foods because I need to meet my calorie goals.

I am bulking right now and let me tell you.....if I had any ED inclinations, bulking took care of it. I am doing it for long term health. Believe me that going from a size 2 to a size 6...... on purpose and trusting a process where you see no results until 4-5 months later is the contrary of anything ED is.
  • mstocks80
    mstocks80 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am a binge eater. This site didn't make me that way. I have been that way for a long time. This site has taught me more about nutrition and healthy ways. I will be a better eater/person because of this site! I LOVE MFP!
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    What differentiates an eating disorder from disordered eating is acute fear and anxiety. As alluded to above, those who have a propensity for perfectionism and mood and anxiety disorders are more likely to develop an ED.

Also, an ED is characterized by the obsessive need for control. To this end, life events that cause distress, or the feeling of losing control are associated with the onset of EDs. To control calories in/ calories out is much more tractable; you feel in control.

I am speaking from my knowledge of what qualifies an ED on the DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders) and personal experience.

This exactly.

The DSM IV is kinda out of date and stupid... No offence to psychs in training or those in practice, but those who have known or experienced an ED, know it is utter bull the classifications the DSM uses currently... sorry, it is stupid, that is the truth of the matter.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I don't think they are...

I came on here with 90lbs + to lose. I have never purposely eaten less than my allotted amount of calories. There have been days that I have been standing in the kitchen eating a brownie with PB at 9pm because I NEED the calories.

I only work out like an hour 3-4x a week. 35 minutes of cardio, then however long it takes me to do my strength ( usually 30 minutes or less...)