How often do you weigh yourself? Is it motivating?

Options

Replies

• oOMusicBabii
    Options
    I personally weigh every morning (except the day before my official weigh-in). It's motivating watching the numbers change and seeing how what I've eaten the previous day affects my body and what changes should be made.
  • AmberLee2012
    Options
    Everyday, but I don't recommend it!
  • Slack2ShortGo
    Slack2ShortGo Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning. It helps me watch trends with food and water consumption, as well as the amount of exercise I did that day.
  • MizKittyB
    MizKittyB Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I like to have lots of data and keep tabs on trends or get instant feedback on how something affected my weight -- I weigh daily (same time each morning, just after getting out of bed), but track only the Friday morning weight. That way, I know when I'm up because of a workout or because I went out to eat, or if the last few days of being very, very careful and not splurging have paid off, etc. (Lately, I've been putting less stock in the numbers on the scale only because I've been lifting weights more often, which means I'm losing inches but not pounds.)
  • nikbolok
    nikbolok Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh, because as I gain muscle and lose fat, I'm not going to see much weight loss. I do my measurements, this helps me accurately see my true progress :) And of course how much better the clothes fit without the measurements! I may step on it every couple of months just to see where I stand.
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I weigh probably..... once every two or two and half weeks. When I do it more often than that, I feel like I start getting obsessive and really down about small fluctuations. I pay more attention to how my clothes fit, and when I'm curious I will weigh myself.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily. I found that I would fall off track at the beginning because I would overeat, then not weigh the next morning because I didn't want to see the damage on the scale, and this would go on for days, etc. I only record a loss in MFP when it's the same weight 3 days in a row. I don't record gains.

Sometime's it's annoying. Like yesterday I was under my calories (1400) but over my sodium because I had soup for dinner and showed a 2 lb gain on the scale this morning. I know it's water retention from the soup, but still, ugh. At least I know to cool it on the sodium and it should go back down.

ETA: I take measurements at the beginning of every month too, which means more to me than what the jerk on the floor says.
  • Rambo529
    Rambo529 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I weigh in weekly. For me it doesn't do the little ups and downs that can happen daily from water intake and outflows of stuff. I like to see the number, and if it didn't move the way I'd like it to, I look at what I ate (first) to see what I could do better and maybe make changes. I also do different measurements but those are every 2 weeks because sometimes when I'm lifting a lot at the gym, there ends up being even swaps of muscle and fat, so the scale doesn't move.
  • vpsalama
    Options
    Once every morning. Keeps me focused.
  • karibj2010
    karibj2010 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I get on the scale every morning, but my official weigh in day for me is Fridays. I weigh every morning to keep myself motivated and accountable. When I have gone up, I know I need to step it up, when I have gone down it is even more motivating.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    One a week, used to weight everyday sometimes twice a day and it did my head in. I log losses and gains for reporting purposes which seems to keep me on the straight and narrow :p
  • Noway13
    Options
    I weigh myself Monday morning to see where I'm at, try my hardest to stick to my daily exercises and weigh again on Saturday morning.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Now that I'm 2.5 months in, I find myself using the scale more to make sure I'm staying on track. My official log in weight is Saturday mornings, whatever I may weigh, but I find myself checking during the week often in the afternoon to guage if I'm staying on track or not. It helps me stay focused after having a bad day, or motivates me to keep going if I'm doing well.
  • GetteJ
    GetteJ Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I follow this method, too. I also made sure that my wiifit scale matched the bathroom scale, and I switched back to weighing daily on the wiifit, then doing 10-15 minutes of exercise. It definitely isn't a huge calorie burner, but I feel like that little bit of exercise sort of wakes up my metabolism and gets me humming for the day. I noticed I did better in the summer when I took a short morning walk, but now its winter and I am a wimp so wiifit it is!
  • LadySylvanas
    LadySylvanas Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    every morning :glasses:
  • missytrishy
    missytrishy Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Friday mornings.
  • slrday
    Options
    Every Friday morning. Might sound weird, but I find it motivating to wait a full week. I used to weigh myself daily, but with different fluctuations it just made me feel down if I saw a pound go up, when I know realistically that could be for many reasons.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I think this is different for men and women. I weigh mostly daily, but it's partly for motivation and partly because I like to know my own weight fluctuations during the month. However, there is something to be said (for me) in getting on the scale every morning. It's an all-day reminder that I want to eat clean & exercise so that the number doesn't go up!
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Every week or two. It's super motivating because it always goes down!
  • gsmithnp
    gsmithnp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    SHORT ANSWER: Daily. Is is motivating? Sort of. I take it as only one of many measurements, and don't put too much stock into it.

LONG ANSWER: Daily (or very nearly). I do skip days on occasion, but for the most part I weigh every morning, first thing. I don't let myself get too upset about gains; the flip side of that is I can't get too excited about losses. I have a scale that (supposedly) measures body fat percentage, muscle mass percentage, and water percentage. A lot of times I can tell that an increase in pounds is accompanied by an increase in either water or muscle mass numbers. There have been times where the "pounds" has stayed spot-on the same for weeks, but the other numbers have changed--especially the BF%. I figure as long as that is going down and MM% is going up, and my clothes are fitting better, that's all that matters.

Weight should also be taken into account with your body measurements, clothing sizes/how they fit, and how you feel. Just like your doctor doesn't just take your blood pressure and pronounce you perfectly healthy (or not): they look at the whole picture--all vital signs, bloodwork, physical assessment, etc. to make that determination.

Oh, BTW, I also record each and every weight I take--gains and losses. Might as well be honest!