How often do you weigh yourself? Is it motivating?

Options
12346»

Replies

• Kellylynnhaynes
    Kellylynnhaynes Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day. However, lately he hasn't been telling me what I like to hear, so we recently broke up. He knows what he has to do to win me back!

Thanks for the laugh! That's hilarious!

I weigh every day M-F. I usually don't weigh in on Sat or Sun because I do not have a scale at home. If I do weigh in, it's on the wii fit board, which I'm not sure how accurate that is. I usually only post if there is a loss from my previous weight.
  • quietasariot
    quietasariot Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I track once a week. And if it's around Aunt Flo time, I do weigh myself but I don't take it seriously (I get really bloated around that time...ugh).
    It is motivating. Another pound down, another one... week after week, that is what motivates me.
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I used to be terrified of the scale - honestly! I was actually really upset when I got pregnant that the obstetrician had a big electronic scale with bright red digital numbers displaying my weight at eye level where I couldn't avoid it. At least that gave me a reality check.

Now, in an attempt to remove the shock factor from the scale, I'm weighing myself every day for the first week or two as I use myfitnesspal. My hope is that as I see small fluctuations and some overall progress, I'll be motivated to keep it up and less terrified of the scale in the future.

The plan is to move to weekly weigh-ins after that.
  • Johann4u
    Options
    I started exercising 12 weeks ago. I do Zumba 5 days a week and lift weights for toning. i have lost 6 dress sizes but have not gotten on a scale cause i don't want to be disapointed. I feel awesome but scared of the scale :noway:
  • CINDYRN33
    CINDYRN33 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    weekly, going to monthly. There are too many fluctuations when I weigh weekly and this discourages me and then tend to eat alot the day i weighed myself because I did not see the answer I liked. Now my train of thought is that it takes about a month to see any changes that you have made in diet show up on the scale so if I make a change it wont show for a month anyway and I can make monthly ajustments if need be. I also think it is a mind thing with me if I get on the scale and see I have lost 7 or 8 pounds mentally that is better for me then seeing the 1-2 pound decrease. So for me monthly is making sense.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    once a week every Monday am. If I weigh daily, it's always changing and this way gives me a more accurate number......
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I weigh weekly. Sometimes I check it in betweenmaybe one time during the week,, but I only have a single official day, once a week. On weigh day, if it's lower, I get motivated to work harder. So far it hasn't been higher, but I think that would also make me work harder...to get back on track. As much as I like watching the numbers go down, the way my pants fit is the best motivator/indicator of how I'm doing.

Barb
  • qnih
    qnih Posts: 16
    Options
    First thing every morning.

Calculating a 7 day moving average helps to smooth out any fluctuations and show the trend.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Twice a day. Mainly bc Im trying to kill a plateau.
  • mrsburghart
    mrsburghart Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a day, but I only track it once a week (usually on Wednesdays since that is the day that we have weigh-ins at the gym). I treat the fluctuations as what they are, and only take the weekly weigh-in in stride. It helps to see how different things affect my weight, such as sleep and hydration. It also helps keep me on track. If I want to see that number go lower I have to work hard that day.
  • JessicaBR0
    JessicaBR0 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week and it is motivating. I've been losing 1 lb per week. I think if I saw the fluctuation daily it would make me paranoid.
  • SameMe_JustLess
    SameMe_JustLess Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day and record it on a calender next to my scale, but I only report it on Wednesdays on MFP due to fluctuations.

I have been reading that a lot of people do something similar. I like the accountability for myself without making my MFP friends see every single up and down through the week!!

ALL THESE RESPONSES ARE FABULOUS BY THE WAY!!! THANKS!!!
  • AggieFan2011
    AggieFan2011 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    every 3 days! (: that way i see some of the little bumps, but not all of them haha

This! I only record when there is a loss though. I don't know whether that is good or bad, but I feel like my weight is bound to fluctuate a little bit depending on the time of day I weight myself, how much sodium or water I had the day before, etc. so as long as the gain isn't a substantial one I feel no need to record it. I think weighing myself every single day would be a bit overwhelming for me personally, but that's just how I operate.
  • piggydog
    piggydog Posts: 322
    Options
    I weigh and measure every thursday
  • cindymedlen
    Options
    Im a scale junkie...I jump on it 3-4 times a day.....I think I may need therapy!
  • Dementedllama
    Dementedllama Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Daily. But I recommend weekly.
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself each morning but I only record my weight once a week. I am used to the ups and downs so it doesn't usually bother me. By the end of each week I tend to make some progress. In my mind only my official weigh in counts, which is every Friday morning.