Is protein necessary?

Options

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I use protein powders because I have a hard time reaching my protein goals of 110g a day. I am a smaller guy and am not used to eating a lot and have very rarely ever gotten enough protein. Some typical days (before MFP), I'd have maybe less than 20g of protein.

One does not really need to worry about the adverse effects of too much protein in the diet. This is generally caused by protein taking the place of other things in the diet and thus causing malnutrition.
  • CasablancasTX
    Options
    Protein powder, protein powder, protein powder! I keep seeing people using it, but I don't really see the benefits unless you are consistently not hitting your protein goal. I lift heavy three times a week and constantly go over my protein allotment for the day; all without the use of any supplements. If you're wanting to "tone" then you're going to want excess protein, but there is no reason you couldn't get this by simply eating higher protein foods in larger portions.

This is probably because you have the ultra-low MFP setting of 15% as your goal. This is way too low. Protein is hugely important in getting and being healthy and most people benefit with about 30% of their daily calories coming from protein, not a mere 15%.

PS - There is no such thing as 'toning.' You can't tone a muscle.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard and love it.

I use that same protein shake every single morning and it tastes wonderful!

I agree that MFP sets protein entirely too low. Almost all of my friends go over their protein goal every single day and I don't get why these people don't change their settings.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    This is good to know. What supplements of powder do you guys find is better then that other? I ask because I don't eat a lot of meat and I could use this in the morning for my self as breakfast. I am looking to lose and tone also thenks

As a female (not looking to bulk up- just tone and lose fat) I like GNC Pro Performance® AMP Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60™ - comes in different flavors

Unless you gain a bunch of fat, it is impossible for a female to bulk up. It is even more impossible to bulk up when on a calorie deficit. You can use weight gainers and still not gain weight if you are in a calorie deficit. Protein in itself doesn't make a women or a man bulk up. Whey protein and other proteins are to supplement food if it's harder to acquire enough calories. I eat 2600-2800 to cut and 3200-3500 to bulk. I have to use whey in order to get enough calories (and I like it). BTW, below is a link to what will typically happen to a women that eats 3000-4000 calories a day, lifts for two hours (a ton of weight training). I will ask if you think she looks bulky. Simply put... woman can not bulk without anaboblic steroids or gaining a ton of fat (not to be confused with eating fat).

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options

[Note: a single plant protein source generally does not contain all 8 essential amino acids, which is why it is important for vegetarians to eat a variety of protein sources. Soy beans are one exception.]

Hemp seeds actually contain all the essential amino acids and then some, and they are a complete protein. Hemp seeds are superior to soy.
    Don't forget Quinoa. Another good source of plant based protein.
  • Yolanda4160
    Yolanda4160 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    This is good to know. What supplements of powder do you guys find is better then that other? I ask because I don't eat a lot of meat and I could use this in the morning for my self as breakfast. I am looking to lose and tone also thenks

As a female (not looking to bulk up- just tone and lose fat) I like GNC Pro Performance® AMP Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60™ - comes in different flavors

Unless you gain a bunch of fat, it is impossible for a female to bulk up. It is even more impossible to bulk up when on a calorie deficit. You can use weight gainers and still not gain weight if you are in a calorie deficit. Protein in itself doesn't make a women or a man bulk up. Whey protein and other proteins are to supplement food if it's harder to acquire enough calories. I eat 2600-2800 to cut and 3200-3500 to bulk. I have to use whey in order to get enough calories (and I like it). BTW, below is a link to what will typically happen to a women that eats 3000-4000 calories a day, lifts for two hours (a ton of weight training). I will ask if you think she looks bulky. Simply put... woman can not bulk without anaboblic steroids or gaining a ton of fat (not to be confused with eating fat).

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

she looks great
    bulk was the wrong adjective. period.
  • Yolanda4160
    Yolanda4160 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I was simply trying to tell one female to another is this -- this AMP protein has the least calories. period. ggeshhhh

I am sure you can see from my before and after pic that I have no interest in additional calories! I am trying to lose weight and I simply use a protein shake as a meal replacement occasionally.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options

As a female, you won't "bulk up" unless you're shooting up testosterone. Lifting weights won't turn you into the hulk, it will give you muscle definition.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    You are always better off obtaining nutrients from food.

Yes, because it is very hard to get enough nutrients from rocks. Although if you could, I guess they would be food too... :tongue:

Don't forget about spiders, ants, flies, caterpillars...... I mean they could be food, too.
  • Cgrnlaw
    Cgrnlaw Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Yes protein is needed
  • shawnteahsing
    shawnteahsing Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Protein is necessary. Its hard for me to get all my protein from food. So sometimes, i use powder. I use Apex lite whey powder.
    I mix it with nonfat milk and it doesnt taste bad.
  • cyndymar
    Options
    Yes I have been using protein in my foods and shakes for a year now . I add it to cupcakes, oatmeals , veggie shakes . Protein is essential in each meal it keeps u fuller longer and u need it to bulk up in muscles. I have been weightlifting at 3-4 times a week and yes it has helped . Especially in maintaining a clean diet . Hope that helps
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I was simply trying to tell one female to another is this -- this AMP protein has the least calories. period. ggeshhhh

I am sure you can see from my before and after pic that I have no interest in additional calories! I am trying to lose weight and I simply use a protein shake as a meal replacement occasionally.

And we can understand that, but you can get whatever type of protein powder you want as long as it fits in your calorie goals. Most women can eat 1700-2000 if they are active, so you get a lot of options. Additionally, I prefer a protein powder with whey and casein as it will allow for short and long term repairing.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    I used to get very little protein in my diet and I was flabby and doughy. It was not a good look. I was weak and tired all the time. Now I live off whey protein. It's the only macro that you really need to worry about. Get at least 1g/kg of body weight. Fat and carbs don't really matter that much. You need a little bit of both, but some people like to do low carb and some do low fat. As long as you get protein, carbs and fat are flexible.

I want to lose weigh so I am low fat intake and low carb in take. I would love to do powder which kind do u use and like?

Nectar by Syntax. No fat, sugar, or carbs.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    I used to get very little protein in my diet and I was flabby and doughy. It was not a good look. I was weak and tired all the time. Now I live off whey protein. It's the only macro that you really need to worry about. Get at least 1g/kg of body weight. Fat and carbs don't really matter that much. You need a little bit of both, but some people like to do low carb and some do low fat. As long as you get protein, carbs and fat are flexible.

I want to lose weigh so I am low fat intake and low carb in take. I would love to do powder which kind do u use and like?

Dietary fat =/= body fat. A high protein, moderate carb and fat diet will be the best. There have been several studies that show low fat diets being the worst type of diet (as compared to low carb). The only fat that is truly bad is trans fats as they body can not process it.. and if you want, limit saturated fat but don't lower fat. Things like sirloins, bison, lamb, chicken, fish, pork , duck, etc.. are all healthy for you.

That's why I said flexible. You should get some of both, but you can play around with these ratios a bit.
  • nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    Options
    its a problem if you eat a lot of protein and you don't strength train, yes. if you lift and get sore though, protein is what repairs those rips you created.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

You don't have to go low-fat or low-carb to lose weight unless you have a medical condition. Some people find that low-carb works better for them, but it is not necessary, strictly speaking.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    protein powder is a supplement to supplement the rest of your diet if you are having trouble reaching your protein target from the rest of your diet.

That being said, I'm yet to be able to make a nice dessert with chicken breast :tongue:
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Its easy for wee folks to be saying its easy to hit their protein goal with whole foods but for people at the bigger end of the scale its not so much.

Imagine how much protein a 300lb powerlifter needs a day... thats a lot of eggs, chicken, tuna and steak :)

I aim for 190g a day which is 1g per lb of lean mass ... id really struggle to hit that without supplements (i have a whey/milk/fruit smoothie at breakfast and protein cookie as a snack) .. i just cant eat that much meat/fish/dairy in a day

You're kidding me if you're a 190 lb male and can't get in 190g of protein a day. I'm 20 lbs lighter than you and can manage over 200g no problem.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Its easy for wee folks to be saying its easy to hit their protein goal with whole foods but for people at the bigger end of the scale its not so much.

Imagine how much protein a 300lb powerlifter needs a day... thats a lot of eggs, chicken, tuna and steak :)

I aim for 190g a day which is 1g per lb of lean mass ... id really struggle to hit that without supplements (i have a whey/milk/fruit smoothie at breakfast and protein cookie as a snack) .. i just cant eat that much meat/fish/dairy in a day

You're kidding me if you're a 190 lb male and can't get in 190g of protein a day. I'm 20 lbs lighter than you and can manage over 200g no problem.

I ate 1kg (2.2lbs) of chicken Wednesday.
    8974_1_500_Forever-Hungry.jpg