Sugar is not your friend part 2

Options

Replies

• 72lori
    72lori Posts: 6,759 Member
    Options
    I didn't eat sugar all day until just now. Ate a darn piece of that sprite cake at 9 o'clock at night. I've been like a pouty kid who didn't get my way. After eatin sugar for 3 day, it has me all pis$y that I couldn't have any today. Then after being grumpy about it, I caved. I didn't even think about it, I just ate it. Ahh, sugar is evil. Pure evil. Takes hold so fast.
  • dewdrop
    dewdrop Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    First day of success - how do I know? I almost got an apple juice at lunch when I thought "sugar!" and took water instead :drinker:. Other than that, only had my jelly in the ab&j sandwich (almond instead of peanut butter) and nothing more :happy:.
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    So.... after some debate between my good self and my bad self, my bad self won last night! I did enjoy that tofutti chocolate cookie crunch with hershey's chocolate syrup drizzled. But, I measured out my half cup ice cream and my two tablespoons sauce. And I didn't even wrap my lips around the hershey bottle and squeeze like I wanted:laugh: :laugh: I just put it away, with a fond caress and a "til next time". I did debate for half an hour before having it. Plugged it into my diary, and that little amount of ice cream and syrup was almost as many calories as my steak and veggies for dinner:noway: I had the calories for it though (usually I don't and it's not such a temptation).

So... back to day one for me. :noway:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    :angry: :grumble:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Freaking out. :explode: :laugh: :noway:

Big opportunity, too cool to jinx by giving details right now. Want sugar. Won't.

Brevity is the soul of wit--Shakespeare.

Sugar is not my valentine.

xo, v.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,098 Member
    Options
    Freaking out. :explode: :laugh: :noway:

Big opportunity, too cool to jinx by giving details right now. Want sugar. Won't.

Brevity is the soul of wit--Shakespeare.

Sugar is not my valentine.

xo, v.

oooooooh. Can't wait to hear.

Self-Indulgence. Don't (see lengthy post of mine above...)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Bunnies don't lay chocolate eggs.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Hershey's Skor bar and Dunkin Donuts Vanilla Kreme Donut-- 2:angry:

Marla - 0:embarassed:

Does it count if I write it in my diary, and am counting it in my calories?:tongue:

I didn't think so. :grumble:

Fudgesicles.:ohwell:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Hershey's Skor bar and Dunkin Donuts Vanilla Kreme Donut-- 2:angry:

Marla - 0:embarassed:

Does it count if I write it in my diary, and am counting it in my calories?:tongue:

I didn't think so. :grumble:

Fudgesicles.:ohwell:

mmmmmmmmm Fudgesicles:bigsmile:
  • rinren84
    rinren84 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! This thread is awesome.... It's like Sugaraholics Anonymous. I can't get enough sugar, but now I'm started to notice how it makes me feel when I eat it. I had a peanut butter brownie with chocolate frosting yesterday (okay I had one and a half) and a glass of milk (because who can eat a peanut butter brownie without milk?) and felt like total crap all night. It was really not worth it....

Brownies and chocolate cake are my two sugar vices. And when my husband brings home Reese's peanut butter hearts, eggs, etc (not the cups, just the bigger versions for holidays..they taste better). Oh and thin mint Girl Scout cookies...I could polish off an entire sleeve (or box...2 sleeves) in one sitting.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    3 days back on my plan, 3 workouts and 3 days with no sugar. I'm down 2 pounds, and my head seems to be paining less.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Welcome, rinren:flowerforyou:

Very much the Sugaraholic thread.

I am the teacher/talker.

Look - from :
    http://www.weightandwellness.com/id40.html
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    The sweet side of alcoholism

If you have traded an alcohol addiction (sugar) for a sweet roll addiction (sugar), you have gained little more than a lessened risk for a DWI. Biochemically sugar and alcohol are the same thing. When you take in large amounts of sugar it sends your blood sugar high and releases a feel good neurotransmitter called serotonin. The alcohol and the sweet roll both send your blood sugar high but the alcohol is able to spike your blood sugar twice as quickly. So if you have stopped taking in alcohol and replaced it with high sugar eating you are setting your self up for a relapse.

If you are ready to put an end to this cycle you need to be eating balanced meals every two hours and taking some amino acids to help rebuild and heal your brain chemistry. Balanced meals should consist of protein, fat, and carbohydrates. For healthy protein, eat chicken, fish beef, cheese, and steak; for fat- butter, olive oil, raw nuts, cream cheese; for carbs-fruits and lots of veggies.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Bren, I hope to shout! Exercise feels soooooooooooo much better than sugar. And I'm not just saying that!!

BONUS that you lost some weight, too! Woohoo-Dance.gif

I had an incident with a spoonful of ice cream tonight. Sad moment is all I can say.... between laughs of course.
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    Damn Fastnacht Day, that's all I have to say about that. At least it's only once a year, I only had one, and they aren't made the traditional way.

http://winter-recipes.suite101.com/article.cfm/fastnacht_day
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Damn Fastnacht Day, that's all I have to say about that. At least it's only once a year, I only had one, and they aren't made the traditional way.

http://winter-recipes.suite101.com/article.cfm/fastnacht_day

I'm Pennsylvannia German! I'm all for a "Donut Hoilday" (yes I spelled it wrong on porpoise-the article I read spelled "holiday" as "hoilday" like three times :laugh: )
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    So... I've been thinking today, of what I am going to give up for Lent. I've already been working on giving up sugar, so I feel that would be cheating if I said that. I really had no idea what I was going to do. But then... A BRAINSTORM!

I am giving up the message boards on this site! I spend hours on this computer scrolling through the boards and blogs. I will still come on to track my foods, but I will no longer get sucked into the boards.

DH just asked if I was taking the sunday break. I don't know. We never had that when I was a kid. Once again, it feels like cheating, lol. If I do, I'll come on and let you all know how I did for the week. If I don't.... I guess I'll see you after Easter!
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    So... I've been thinking today, of what I am going to give up for Lent. I've already been working on giving up sugar, so I feel that would be cheating if I said that. I really had no idea what I was going to do. But then... A BRAINSTORM!

I am giving up the message boards on this site! I spend hours on this computer scrolling through the boards and blogs. I will still come on to track my foods, but I will no longer get sucked into the boards.

DH just asked if I was taking the sunday break. I don't know. We never had that when I was a kid. Once again, it feels like cheating, lol. If I do, I'll come on and let you all know how I did for the week. If I don't.... I guess I'll see you after Easter!

No, we didn't have a Sunday break, either-- and you won't see my "good job and see you after Easter--"

wonderful sacrifice-- hang tough!
  • TaysMum
    Options
    Todays D3 . Day 1 was good, Day 2 was Satisfactory and today's outstanding! :smile:

Quick question; Is the Sugar from dates good or bad?
  • dewdrop
    Options

Good luck with that :flowerforyou:. Stay strong! some days will be harder, some will feel like you're over it. But it's definitely doable!
    If you want to discreetly let us know how this and the sugar challenge go, update your signature. Once again, good luck!
  • dewdrop
    Options

For someone with diabetes any kind of sugar is not good, afaik - grapes, melons...
    For me, fruit is the snack I run to when I give up chocolate. Including dried fruit (in decent amounts).

Oh, and congrats for getting 3 days down!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options

For someone with diabetes any kind of sugar is not good, afaik - grapes, melons...
    For me, fruit is the snack I run to when I give up chocolate. Including dried fruit (in decent amounts).

Oh, and congrats for getting 3 days down!

I count anything that can be used as a sweetener as borderline bad. I don't indulge in dates very much, but do use them as a sugar substitute. The fiber in them makes them metabolize slightly slower than refined sugar, but they're still pretty sugary.

Anyways, the potato chips got me yesterday, but the sugar didn't. Went over my calories by 47, called it a victory.

I've had a high pressure, whirlwind thing going on. I'm in tight-lipped mode, because I'm superstitious, and have no idea if I'll get it or not. It's a semi-dream-job thingee. I want to sedate myself with a bag of oreos and a chaser of ben & jerry's. But I won't. Because I'm a grown up with the power of will, and the goal to fit back into my smaller pants in eleven days.

Day 3 of sugar free. Have painted my nails four times in three days. :tongue: