Sugar is not your friend part 2

Options

Replies

• bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Do they have sidewalks where you live (they don't in my neighborhood ;)? If so, you can feel the sun and wave to any neighbors and use up calories and be away from the 'Frig.' Just run, if any start walking toward you with a plate of cookies!!! :happy:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I'm having a tough, stressful time. I have been trying all day to stay on target and utilize my list of sugar-free indulgences. I Had a really inappropriate confrontation from a student yesterday (she was unhappy with her mark and at one point was actually yelling at me. I had to hold up my hand and say (in a calm but firm voice) "neither you, nor anyone on this earth, will speak to me in that tone of voice." and refer her to my dean. (she was entirely out of line, and when her paper is re-graded by the department chair, she will most likely end up with a lower mark...I am constantly getting into trouble for my grading being too lenient. She was angry that her A- wasn't an A+. No, really.). Then, had a difficult phone discussion with my SIL(which ended, as several conversations before, asking her to please not talk politics to me anymore..it is a classic case of "agree to disagree", believe you me.) Today, I have wanted to drown my sorrows in sugar all day long. It is absolutely my drug of choice. Or, I should say, my former drug of choice.

It is not my friend. It is not my friend. Sugar is not my friend.

Also, it will not make me more articulate, or smarter, or skinnier, or more relaxed, or less afraid, or make my SIL (and the rest of the planet, for that matter) magically agree with me. It will not make students who are disrespectful more polite. It will not make the administration at my work run more smoothly. It will not balance the checkbook. It will not do my laundry. It will not make the bus arrive at the stop any sooner. It will not make the sun come out when it's raining. It has no power to solve a single one of the world's problems or mine. It will not take care of any of the things that stress me out. Not one of them.

Sugar is not my friend.

Thanks for listening.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    I'm having a tough, stressful time. I have been trying all day to stay on target and utilize my list of sugar-free indulgences. I Had a really inappropriate confrontation from a student yesterday (she was unhappy with her mark and at one point was actually yelling at me. I had to hold up my hand and say (in a calm but firm voice) "neither you, nor anyone on this earth, will speak to me in that tone of voice." and refer her to my dean. (she was entirely out of line, and when her paper is re-graded by the department chair, she will most likely end up with a lower mark...I am constantly getting into trouble for my grading being too lenient. She was angry that her A- wasn't an A+. No, really.). Then, had a difficult phone discussion with my SIL(which ended, as several conversations before, asking her to please not talk politics to me anymore..it is a classic case of "agree to disagree", believe you me.) Today, I have wanted to drown my sorrows in sugar all day long. It is absolutely my drug of choice. Or, I should say, my former drug of choice.

Also, it will not make me more articulate, or smarter, or skinnier, or more relaxed, or less afraid, or make my SIL (and the rest of the planet, for that matter) magically agree with me. It will not make students who are disrespectful more polite. It will not make the administration at my work run more smoothly. It will not balance the checkbook. It will not do my laundry. It will not make the bus arrive at the stop any sooner. It will not make the sun come out when it's raining. It has no power to solve a single one of the world's problems or mine. It will not take care of any of the things that stress me out. Not one of them.

Sugar is not my friend.

Thanks for listening.

Vivia-- I love this post-- nope, it doesn't do any of those things. It lies and tells us we'll feel better-- and we don't. We never do-- or, maybe temporarily we do-- but when the high wears off, we feel worse.

I'm having a good several days. It clicked again-- which is good.

Bj-- I have no fructose knowledge-- just wanted to say hi!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options

Sugar is not my friend.

Do you think, if it could, sugar would have a good laugh at our expense? I think, if sugar were a person, it'd be on one hell of a power trip.

"Look what I do to you, how I make you feel, how I expand your waistline until none of your favorite jeans fit. Look how horrible you feel after a night with me. I ruin your health, I sabotage your weight loss efforts, I make you crazy, and yet you keep coming back for more! Half of the time I don't even taste that great, and even when I'm the last thing you want...you can't resist me."

Not my friend? More like my worst enemy.
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the carb/fruit/veggie/fat breakdown for 1200/1400/1600 calories. I was doing that before I joined this site. Now I can incorporate this process into the calorie counting and have the best of both worlds. You are so sweet for sharing, and I did not get an ounce fatter!! ;)
  • 72lori
    72lori Posts: 6,758 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Lori and I'm a sugar addict.

I'm back.......well, I'm not lurking anymore. I'm going for 6 weeks 'junk' sugar free. No cookies, cakes, candy, ice cream, chocolate- I'll still do my fruits and dairy. I can do this. I've done it before, I will do it again.

As for today, going through the sugar withdrawals, but this too shall pass. So far, I've gone the 7 hours I've been awake without using- it's a start back in the right direction.
  • Marla64
    Options
    Lori-- my hormonal body doesn't realize that I've been doing "the right thing" for a couple days-- poofy as all hell22:18:28;09~00:18:25_04
  • Marla64
    Options
    Lori-- my hormonal body doesn't realize that I've been doing "the right thing" for a couple days-- poofy as all hell, and I'm way on the grumpy side. But, I am back full swing just the same.

160 here I come hell or high water-- and bye-bye sweets.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Lori-- my hormonal body doesn't realize that I've been doing "the right thing" for a couple days-- poofy as all hell22:18:28;09~00:18:25_04

I'm right there with you...oof ..tight pants...and fragile ego.

I've taken to just repeating to myself "that won't fix it" when I look lustfully after a sweet when I'm getting my latte. Have to remind myself that the latte is the treat, dang it. I just have a general stress/anxiety ennui right now...and I'm not even sure what the "it" I'm trying to fix is.
  • 72lori
    Options
    Oh I hear you on the tight pants. They've been getting progressively tighter since I last posted on this thread. Go figure.

Day 1 complete. No sweets.
  • tamarads
    tamarads Posts: 55
    Options
    Be strong my friends.. you can do it!! :smile:

Speaking of tight pants, I'm amazed at the difference in my pants when I've had a little sugar vs just overeating. There must be a correlation between belly fat and sugar.

Happy Tuesday!
  • Marla64
    Options

Speaking of tight pants, I'm amazed at the difference in my pants when I've had a little sugar vs just overeating. There must be a correlation between belly fat and sugar.

Happy Tuesday!

there is indeed a correlation-- I just googled it and there are tons of links. I'd also heard stress is linked-- not sure the validity. But, if my gut is any indication-- it's true.

Doing very well on the sugar this week-- love when it "clicks."

(every time I say "it clicked' I think of Fitness Chick-- go figure)
  • 72lori
    Options
    I agree on the connection, 100%. My jelly belly will confirm.....
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,062 Member
    Options

Happy Tuesday!

there is indeed a correlation-- I just googled it and there are tons of links. I'd also heard stress is linked-- not sure the validity. But, if my gut is any indication-- it's true.

hm. Didn't we say that a couple months ago? Tummy and sugar are related.

Good luck Lori, nice to see you here!

V- I think all of life is about embracing the fears, letting them flow through and out of us with each breath, taking all the anger out with them. A good yoga thought....or rather - Tai Chi.

Namaste.
  • Marla64
    Options

Happy Tuesday!

V- I think all of life is about embracing the fears, letting them flow through and out of us with each breath, taking all the anger out with them. A good yoga thought....or rather - Tai Chi.

Namaste.

I have short term memory loss-- or at least I think I do. I forget.
  • 72lori
    Options

Happy Tuesday!

Namaste.

I do believe we made the correlation before between belly fat and sugar, some of us (like me) ignore that fact occassionally. :ohwell:
  • Marla64
    Options

Happy Tuesday!

Namaste.

I do believe we made the correlation before between belly fat and sugar, some of us (like me) ignore that fact occassionally. :ohwell:

Ignore what fact?
  • tamarads
    tamarads Posts: 55
    Options

Happy Tuesday!

Namaste.

Cheryl, Oh Wise One, I'm sure you are right... and it was probably me asking about it!! :blushing: I'm with Marla on this though, I have no short term memory left either!
  • Marla64
    Options

Happy Tuesday!

Namaste.

Cheryl, Oh Wise One, I'm sure you are right... and it was probably me asking about it!! :blushing: I'm with Marla on this though, I have no short term memory left either!

Me either.

:wink:
  • 72lori
    Options

Ignore what fact?

I like to pretend sugar won't make my tummy blow up like a balloon. That fact.

Denial. Stupidity. It wears many names.