Sugar is not your friend part 2

Options

Replies

• Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    the only thing to my right is a sneaker.

I like my sneaker.
  • dewdrop
    dewdrop Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    From what I understood back in December, this is not necessarily about going cold turkey on sugar, but rather making your own rules and being accountable. For instance, I was still eating jelly (but the jar lasted the whole month). However, I would not have chocolate or deserts. There were people here still sipping on their cocoa milk and finding that OK. So, Marla, accountability! :flowerforyou: Others would stay away from sugar alltogether.

This being said, I dunno how to regard this morning when the only cereals I could have were the chocolate ones. :ohwell:

Marla, hope your day improves and that the weekend has the nicest things in store for you.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,098 Member
    Options
    .....and I just don't want to come to a "Sugar is not your friend" thread and read about everyone's fall off the wagon. I'd rather have nothing said than hear descriptions of all the tasty little (and not so little) treats you are eating.

I wanted to find ways to not eat the stuff. Good substitutions, diversions, etc. Ways of avoidance....not in-depth descriptions of cakes and ice cream cones and candy. Venting is one thing - constant discussion about food is another. I'd like to see solutions to problems, not re-hashing our inability to get a grip. Because I think we CAN get a grip on this. But only through setting a good example and not looking for validation of our mistakes. That is what they are unless you plan to eat something. The "I can't control myself" complaint falls on deaf ears with me after a while. I think we CAN control ourselves.

Marla and Lori both think moderation is possible. This may be a revelation you just had in the past week....it kind of sounded that way here today. Which is a good thing. Planned moderation. I don't think it's helpful to people to hear that we can't control ourselves. The wrong message gets in our head.

And you never know how much what you say may influence someone. (Thank you Jeannie!)

I think progress was made here today. Both Marla and Lori made good points. And moderation can mean one small thing a day, or one a week or one a month, depending on your personal choice. Those of you who (I don't know how...lots of exercise?) have room in your daily calories and feel you have to have sugar - I still think it is a bad plan - but, that's just me. I personally don't have the need to hear about what you ate, sweet-wise. I don't check peoples' food diaries either. It doesn't help me in my journey.

There was never an intent for this to be a "Confession - guess what I ate?" thread. At least, I didn't think that was what it was to be. But, since I have no control over what people want to talk about, all I can do is stop participating. The month is almost over: onward to March!

.....and I just don't want to come to a "Sugar is not your friend" thread and read about everyone's fall off the wagon. I'd rather have nothing said than hear descriptions of all the tasty little (and not so little) treats you are eating.

I wanted to find ways to not eat the stuff. Good substitutions, diversions, etc. Ways of avoidance....not in-depth descriptions of cakes and ice cream cones and candy. Venting is one thing - constant discussion about food is another. I'd like to see solutions to problems, not re-hashing our inability to get a grip. Because I think we CAN get a grip on this. But only through setting a good example and not looking for validation of our mistakes. That is what they are unless you plan to eat something. The "I can't control myself" complaint falls on deaf ears with me after a while. I think we CAN control ourselves.

I have to second this. For me, sweets are a trigger food. And, when I hear vivid descriptions of sweets, it makes me want sweets. So, it's been hard for me to read all the posts. On the one hand, I want to support everyone in making good choices for themselves, and kick their booty a little when they don't make such good choices. And, I'd hope I'd get the same support and booty kicking.

But, I really hate the "I have no power over this" talk, too. Sugar can behave like a very powerful drug, and I recognize that it is powerful, but my power of choice is more powerful, I assure you.

Now, that being said, I think confession equals accountability. I know that when I've slipped, I've told this thread. I feel that's an important part for me. I admit that I'm guilty of using this thread as a forum to fantasize about what I want sweets wise. I'd like to stop that, and focus instead on accountability and positivity. I'm a junkie when it comes to sugar, plain and simple. I use it as a drug. Extreme moderation to the point of abstinence is necessary for me. Once or twice a month I can indulge, as long as it's a choice, it's portion controlled and part of an experience. (dinner out with friends, etc.) I want to get to the point where a (very rarely indulged in) piece of cake can be just a piece of cake, without baggage and not as a coping skill. That's how I'm making peace with it right now. My big goal is to quit bingeing on sugar alone in my apartment, going to several stores to lay in my supplies because I'm too embarrassed to buy it all at once. (this is something that in my bigger days, I used to be guilty of all the time...nearly daily, and had a few backslides last fall/winter, which is why I sought out the thread).

What I've recognized is that a small slip can trigger a big slip, and cravings for sweets should send out alarm bells in my brain saying "Attention. You are really, really stressed about something right now, and are probably not even aware of what it is!"

To try to add something constructive, lately I've been brainstorming "sugar free substitutions". (not artificial sweeteners, but actual sugar free self-spoiling a la Cheryl's chocolate pearl ring) You all know about my nail polish problem. When I crave something bad for me (which for me is usually sweets) I do two things: I ask myself "what am I upset/stressed about?" and then "what would be another, non-food way to spoil myself?"

I hope the thread continues into March, but would really like to focus on the positive as much as we possibly can. I really appreciate this open discussion, and the support I've received from the thread.

:flowerforyou:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    This thread did start out as a "no sugar" thread- hence the challenge, and hence the scores. I can have NO sugar, and I don't plan on attempting moderation any time soon. I know that, for me, the moderation defense is a cop-out- it's my way of allowing sweets back into my life. I don't want to be a slave to sugar.

I haven't given up all sugar. I still have my fruit, my low-sugar cereal, a little sugar here and there, but I can't allow myself dessert or sweet junk, because I will, guaranteed, lose control.

If I'm not addicted to it, I'll allow myself to have it. That's the only form of moderation I can handle. :)
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Nail polish is not a problem. :tongue: Unless it's green. :gaak: And even green is okay in March!! eringobragh.gif

Bren! Love the hair! Congrats on Day 13!!!!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Nail polish is not a problem. :tongue: Unless it's green. :gaak: And even green is okay in March!! eringobragh.gif

Bren! Love the hair! Congrats on Day 13!!!!

I actually got a green manicure last time (OPI has a new colour called "Jade is the new black"). It got ugly really fast.:tongue: PS...I own over fifty bottles of nail polish...is that a problem?:embarassed:

Seconded on the hair, Brenda. Cute!
  • BrendaLee
    Options
    I wish I could wear nailpolish. :sad: For some odd reason it destroys my nails. I wear it once, and it takes 2-3 months for my nails to recover. They won't grow either, the little buggers.
  • Marla64
    Options
    Me thinks I may be fooling myself about the moderation. It crescendoes, until it overtakes me.

I'm back into no sugar mode today, my friends.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    I think it would be much harder to do this if I lived in a house with children and/or someone else who continued to eat lots of sugar. I think that is just one of the advantages to living alone. But you can get a handle on it. Maybe give yourself "weekend" privileges? Is that your hardest time?

((hug))
  • Marla64
    Options
    Truly we don't have many sweets. What little we buy is on payday, every two weeks, and we make it last. A brownie mix here, cake mix there, ice cream here-- we did lots of baking, though, two days ago for basketball playoff concession stand sales.

I'll get 'er back under control. Had a good day today. Detox is grand.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Truly we don't have many sweets. What little we buy is on payday, every two weeks, and we make it last. A brownie mix here, cake mix there, ice cream here-- we did lots of baking, though, two days ago for basketball playoff concession stand sales.

I have no doubt that you will! You haven't worked as hard as you have for nothing. How's the running?
  • BrendaLee
    Options
    Me thinks I may be fooling myself about the moderation. It crescendoes, until it overtakes me.

Welcome back. :)
  • Marla64
    Options

I have no doubt that you will! You haven't worked as hard as you have for nothing. How's the running?

sporadic, but not bad. I ran tonight for 3 miles, and 2-3 days ago for 3 miles. Snow put a crimp in things, but I didn't mind the time off. Foot is feeling okay-- just the usual arthritis crap.

I'll be rarin' to go when spring time hits.

you're a sweetie to ask-- (pun intended-- ha)
  • Marla64
    Options

Welcome back. :)

Every time I get out, they. Pull. Me. Back. In.

(best Al Pacino I could come up with-- ha)
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Today is my first day on this site! My biggest struggle with sweets happens when I'm at work! The fallowing is a list I've complied to help me stay away from the "food table" I hope you all find this helpful!

1. Keep from eating out of boredom - Keep asking yourself "am I hungry"? If that doesn't work try keeping busy with something else, try writing, Mints like tictacs or gum also help.

2. Keep a stash of healthy snacks in your desk- (I've been making my own trail mix of dried fruits, & nuts)

3. Brush your teeth after lunch.

4. Do not make a big deal or announce your plan to avoid/limit junk food. You will be setting yourself up for peer pressure, office jokes and endless monitoring by your coworkers of what you eat. You are doing this for YOU.

5. Make Friends-You probably aren’t the only one who wants to avoid eating a bunch of junk at work. Figure out who’s in it with you and create a Survivor style pact. (I don't see this working for me. The folks in my office don't resist temptation well and are quite welcoming and all contributors to the "food table". I may be a little bitter about it.)

6. Write down your junk food intake each day and the reason why you felt compelled to eat it. Sometimes it is as simple as the person who brought the cake is an excellent baker and you knew it would be wonderful! Other times, and most often, it will be stress, boredom or peer pressure. Now you have to figure out how to handle these differently. (I plan to document what I eat in an entire day. Thank you mfp! I think it will help to give reasoning for the sweets.)

7. Eat Breakfast - (I'm already doing this! I like to heat some quick oatmeal, make my own "fruit and yogurt parfait" like the ones at McDonald's, I even bring my own granola to add. I also toast english muffins and add a little jam. I have lots of healthy breakfast ideas!)

8. If You Must - (Sometimes I definitely MUST) Limit yourself only to homemade treats. This way if someone brings in cookies they made with their grandchildren you won’t offend them by not partaking. Always say no to all company wrapped, factory produced sugar foods.

9. Take Action - Nothing is going to happen if you don’t actually do something about getting healthier.

10. Most importantly: don't beat yourself up if you had a bad day and ate a lot more junk food then you anticipated. It is "progress, not perfection" that should be your goal. (I love rules like this! Hey, I'm not perfect!)

I feel better already. More to come!

Thank you to these websites, I really appreciate your advise : http://www.ehow.com/how_2227395_avoid-junk-food-work.html, http://www.vanadia.com/stopbeingsweet/comments/10_tips_for_avoiding_sugar_at_the_office/
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Kimberly,

Welcome to our little world.:flowerforyou: Thanks for all those great ideas and suggestions! Hope you keep coming back.

~Cheryl
  • Marla64
    Options
    8. If You Must - (Sometimes I definitely MUST) Limit yourself only to homemade treats. This way if someone brings in cookies they made with their grandchildren you won’t offend them by not partaking. Always say no to all company wrapped, factory produced sugar foods.

This one is ingenious. I like it. Do you have any idea how many problems that would solve??? For if/when we do bake around here, for such a large family, there is noooooo way to overindulge. Hmmmmmmm-- interesting.

For now, though, I shall continue on my abstainence. Waiting for the sugar withdrawal headache to dissipate. Yowsa.
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Thank you for being so welcoming! Hopefully soon I can be sweets-free like you ladies! :happy:
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Thank you for being so welcoming! Hopefully soon I can be sweets-free like you ladies! :happy:

Kimberly~

Well, that is the idealistic goal.:wink: No promises from this very human group. We are doing what we can to limit the damage, though!

Marla ~ owie. I have had a headache off and on for three days, too. :grumble: