Sugar is not your friend part 2

Options

Replies

• Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Well, Cheryl, mine is no migraine like yours, you poor thing.

Mine is a much deserved kick in the head for eating the crap I shouldn't eat. The headache kept waking me up-- not major, but just a dull, nagging, "Yeah, I'm here, thanks for the chocolate hangover, you stupid *kitten*," kinda pain.

I took some Tylenol and went back to sleep finally--

Today it's a bit better.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Coming back on the wagon with you fine ladies.

My throat is mostly better, the rest is getting better, and there are (and will be) no more popsicles.

Days without sugar: 0. Goal: to make it to March 15th without any refined sugar.

Stay strong, my sisters.:heart:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard, Kimberly. :)
    __

Ladies, do you know how long it's been since I've gone 16 days without sweets? I'd say years...and years, and years. Quitting hasn't been easy, but it certainly is easier than trying to eat it in moderation...for now anyway. :)

For those trying to quit rather than limit, what exceptions do you allow yourselves?
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Weekend = bad with children's birthday and their cake - oh, that sugary icing was so darned good! I forgot to send it off to the office with my husband this morning, so I'm trying to avoid all temptation today.

I'm having a hard time eliminating sweetener for my coffee. I don't like the taste of cane sugar, or brown sugar in my coffee - I love equal, and can't use Splenda (gives me cramps and makes me bloat). My dad uses Stevia (he's diabetic) but I've tried it and have trouble getting the exact measure for the desired sweetness.

Brenda - I allow my 1 sweetener in my morning coffee, and the sugar that are in Kashi bars, and fruits. It's hard to control eating fruits. I'll likely have to cut some fruits out of my diet that have a high glycemic index. I really don't have a big problem with this because I don't have a sweet tooth. My BIGGEST hurdle will be to abstain from wine. I love a glass of wine while preparing dinner, a glass with dinner, and a glass after dinner :laugh: :drinker: Especially after dinner - seems like the only thing which stops me from evening snacking.
  • dewdrop
    dewdrop Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    I'm having a hard time eliminating sweetener for my coffee.

Have you tried milk?
  • dewdrop
    dewdrop Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    Ladies, do you know how long it's been since I've gone 16 days without sweets?

Thumbs up! You're a very strong girl - remember this everytime you set your mind to something :wink:.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options

Have you tried milk?

I should've been a little clearer - I drink espresso in the morning and yes - I put a dollop of steamed froth on top (espresso macchiato) - I really need equal just to cut the bitterness.
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options

Have you tried milk?

I should've been a little clearer - I drink espresso in the morning and yes - I put a dollop of steamed froth on top (espresso macchiato) - I really need equal just to cut the bitterness.

When I quit putting sugar in my coffee I had to wean myself off. Cutting it down slowly until I didn't miss it. Now I like coffee (even espresso) with no sugar, which I never thought possible. Just to put it in perspective, seven years ago I took my coffee with three heaping tablespoons of sugar (which I can't even imagine anymore.):sick:

Also, I would like to take this opportunity to say that PMS is also not my friend...what gives with the carb/sugar cravings at that time? I've been drinking water and trying to distract myself. I took a bubble bath rather than listen to those evil hormonal voices. I think the hormones and the withdrawal are ganging up on me a bit. Boo to them. I am stronger than them.

Days without sugar: 1.
    Sugar free indulgence of the day: bubble bath.:heart:
  • Marla64
    Options
    __

Ladies, do you know how long it's been since I've gone 16 days without sweets? I'd say years...and years, and years. Quitting hasn't been easy, but it certainly is easier than trying to eat it in moderation...for now anyway. :)

For those trying to quit rather than limit, what exceptions do you allow yourselves?

Brenda, for now I'm going back to no sweet treats. If my bread has sugar in it, so be it. I've been cutting out dairy for arthritis/psoriasis help-- seems to be working. So, there's no sugars in any yogurts 'cause I'm not eating any yogurts, or ice cream, et cetera.

I cut out cream for my coffee recently, and sugar a long time ago-- go figure. So I drink it black-- I actually love it. Whoda thunk?

But, I just have to eliminate the goodies-- no need to elaborate further-- we all know what they are.
  • susii
    susii Posts: 1
    Options
    How wonderful to see others go off all kinds of sugar, it certainly is a drug for most of us, especially myself, I also went of flour of any kind, that leaves all kinds of vegetables, and a little fruit. I am a diabetic at 69 years old, and have been for 15 years, yet I want to keep my feet and legs for walking.
  • richardsrm
    richardsrm Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    :smile: been doing better folks. I will let you know how the weekend goes..............couple of slip ups I am sure but all and all this has been a good experience. The candy isle at the store still calls me but I keep trucking
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,098 Member
    Options
    __

Brenda, now I see it's up to 19 days. Great job. Set a goal, make it work.

And I agree, that going completely off sugar for several months is what finally broke the habit for me. Through that time (about four months I think) I still ate fruit and dairy, I think it's necessary for the fiber, nutrients, and sheer enjoyment. But no bananas or pears or dried fruit during that time - too close to sugar. Occasionally I had some cocoa powder in milk heated, but adding no sugar. It is still very sweet if made with milk.

In that time I just had to say "no" to myself and prove to myself I could do it. Like anything, no matter how hard it is, once you do it you have chalked up the victory. Now I can stay away from all my old "friends" (sweet stuff favorites) and I have all the willpower stored away for when I really need it.

Today, a year after that challenge, I allow myself dairy and fruit - still no bananas or pears and I've managed to wean myself from dried fruit through the last month: it had made its way in again. BUT the difference is that I now have the very occasional sugary thing. Like once a week. And just the one serving, not eight.I also allow holidays off. Just the day (not all of the holidays, but a few). It doesn't lead to bingeing (binging?) so I feel good about that. But I don't think I will ever be able to have sweets in the house, unless it is a single serving size.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    .....and I still have two drinks a couple times a week. Alcohol is sugar, so I guess that counts.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    How wonderful to see others go off all kinds of sugar, it certainly is a drug for most of us, especially myself, I also went of flour of any kind, that leaves all kinds of vegetables, and a little fruit. I am a diabetic at 69 years old, and have been for 15 years, yet I want to keep my feet and legs for walking.

Good for you Susii. I hope you can come back to this post and talk a little about your experience with Diabetes, if it's not too personal.

I think a lot of people don't know they can cause Adult Diabetes by obesity and other factors, and lose their feet, legs, kidneys, eyesight, and create other disabilities. . I'm all for scare tactics in the fight against sugar, HFCS etc. Diabetes is another serious thing for all overweight people to keep in their minds.
  • mbrins01
    mbrins01 Posts: 1
    Options
    yeah
  • Marla64
    Options
    __

Brenda, now I see it's up to 19 days. Great job. Set a goal, make it work.

And I agree, that going completely off sugar for several months is what finally broke the habit for me. Through that time (about four months I think) I still ate fruit and dairy, I think it's necessary for the fiber, nutrients, and sheer enjoyment. But no bananas or pears or dried fruit during that time - too close to sugar. Occasionally I had some cocoa powder in milk heated, but adding no sugar. It is still very sweet if made with milk.

In that time I just had to say "no" to myself and prove to myself I could do it. Like anything, no matter how hard it is, once you do it you have chalked up the victory. Now I can stay away from all my old "friends" (sweet stuff favorites) and I have all the willpower stored away for when I really need it.

Today, a year after that challenge, I allow myself dairy and fruit - still no bananas or pears and I've managed to wean myself from dried fruit through the last month: it had made its way in again. BUT the difference is that I now have the very occasional sugary thing. Like once a week. And just the one serving, not eight.I also allow holidays off. Just the day (not all of the holidays, but a few). It doesn't lead to bingeing (binging?) so I feel good about that. But I don't think I will ever be able to have sweets in the house, unless it is a single serving size.

I think it's bingeing-- ha. Binging, I'm guessing would be like singing or ringing, if it were a word, which it isn't-- I don't think.

It's been going very well. The grip has lessened, even with the indulgence of yesterday after Sarah's Peeps meeting. It was a fun family time with the bounty all over our table. But, I kept it in perspective, logged it, and it didn't lead me down the sugary path today. Yeeehaaaaa.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Speaking of High Fructose Corn Syrup (which is in a lot of processed foods), here is a thread I posted a while back about it. Here's the link:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/67764-high-fructose-corn-syrup-length-warning?page=1#posts-1159399

The aricle is long, so I also posted a condensed version here:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The BIG Take-Away Points of the (above) Article

Sugar & High Fructose Corn Syrup
    Table sugar (also called sucrose) and HFCS both consist of two simple sugars: fructose and glucose. The proportion of fructose and glucose in HFCS is basically the same ratio as table sugar, which is made of 50% fructose and 50% glucose. Both sweeteners contain the same number of calories (4 calories per gram).

But the fructose and glucose in table sugar are chemically bonded together, and the body must first digest sugar to break these bonds before the body can absorb the fructose and glucose into the bloodstream. In contrast, the fructose and glucose found in HFCS are merely blended together, which means it doesn't need to be digested before it is metabolized and absorbed into the bloodstream. Because of this, theories abound that HFCS has a greater impact on blood glucose levels than regular sugar (sucrose). However, research has shown that there are no significant differences between HFCS and sugar (sucrose) when it comes to the production of insulin, leptin (a hormone that regulates body weight and metabolism), ghrelin (the "hunger" hormone), or the changes in blood glucose levels. In addition, satiety studies done on HFCS and sugar (sucrose) have found no difference in appetite regulation, feelings of fullness, or short-term energy intake.

~ Healthy adults who consume approximately 2,000 calories daily should limit the amount of all caloric sweeteners to no more than 32 grams (8 teaspoons) of sugar daily.
    ~ Those who are consuming approximately 1,200-1,500 calories daily, this would equate to about 19-24 grams (5-6 teaspoons) of sugar each day.

Please note that doesn't only apply to sugar that you to your morning coffee or oatmeal; it applies to all "hidden" sugars, too, which are found in other processed foods and drinks that you may purchase.

The bulleted points are also great ideas! (It was a lot to read....this is the condensed version)

Good luck, MFPers
  • Marla64
    Options
    So, bottom line, if I'm getting the condensed version. HCFS sucks, but is really no worse for you than table sugar?

Did I get it?
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    Sparing my beloved sisters the details...:heart:

I'm back to day zero. Stupid lack of planning on my part + only baked goods at staff meeting/no other time to eat until 4 pm = zero days without sugar.

This is the first time in a long time that I've left the house without my secret stash of almonds in my purse. I changed purses and neglected to put them in. I pondered on the subway home that somewhere in my psyche I didn't put them in/forgot to put them in the purse because I knew this is what would be served at the staff meeting and wanted some in my stupid reptile brain. Subconscious self-sabotage? Hmmmm....

But, in the long run, lesson is learned. Put the &#@%*! almonds in the purse.

That is all, carry on.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    So, bottom line, if I'm getting the condensed version. HCFS sucks, but is really no worse for you than table sugar?

Did I get it?

You could look at it that way, I think. OR HFCS slurps, but it is not any BETTER for you than table sugar.:ohwell: