Sugar is not your friend part 2

Options

Replies

• MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    *Doin' the happy dance* Lunch: Big Fat 0 MTGirl: 1 Yay! - no potatoes. No coffee cake. No soda. Chicken, salad, and 1 roll with hot tea. Yay!!! I really AM stronger than the sugar pull. If I can do it - ya'll can too. Never give up :drinker:

yesssmileyf.gif Victory over the sweets.... Yay!

Potatos are loaded with potassium and B Vitamins, though - unless you smother them in butter, gravy or sour cream, they aren't bad for you - keep the portion reasonable, but you don't have to eliminate fresh potatoes. IMO....

eff it.........I mean, EDIT.....................when will I learn to post pics???????????????????????????????????????????

I adore potatoes C - my problem with them is I have NO control. I will not stop eating them until they are gone. I have gotten better lately - and it is possible to only bake 1 etc., but baby girl doesn't finish hers and I do, etc. AND they have a super bad impact on my blood suger. I can control my T2 diabetes pretty well with exercise and eating, but potatoes will kill it! Do NOT want to go back on meds.:laugh:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,098 Member
    Options
    *Doin' the happy dance* Lunch: Big Fat 0 MTGirl: 1 Yay! - no potatoes. No coffee cake. No soda. Chicken, salad, and 1 roll with hot tea. Yay!!! I really AM stronger than the sugar pull. If I can do it - ya'll can too. Never give up :drinker:

yesssmileyf.gif Victory over the sweets.... Yay!

Potatos are loaded with potassium and B Vitamins, though - unless you smother them in butter, gravy or sour cream, they aren't bad for you - keep the portion reasonable, but you don't have to eliminate fresh potatoes. IMO....

eff it.........I mean, EDIT.....................when will I learn to post pics???????????????????????????????????????????

I adore potatoes C - my problem with them is I have NO control. I will not stop eating them until they are gone. I have gotten better lately - and it is possible to only bake 1 etc., but baby girl doesn't finish hers and I do, etc. AND they have a super bad impact on my blood suger. I can control my T2 diabetes pretty well with exercise and eating, but potatoes will kill it! Do NOT want to go back on meds.:laugh:

Yeah, I don't blame you! Great job. I often have meat and salad only as a meal. It is satifysing and low in those problem causing foods.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options

That's pretty harsh language there, Cheryl!
  • tamarads
    tamarads Posts: 55
    Options
    What is the sugar content of plain yogurt? Just wondering... without having to run to the grocery store! I miss my yogurt...used to eat it with a nice yummy granola... those were the days :ohwell:

That is my breakfast every morning with a full serving of strawberries (3/4 cup) and a 1/4 serving of blueberries, some flax, almonds, almond milk. A huge bowl is only 273 kcals. Protein, Carbs and good fats + probiotics. What's not to love?

Nancy's lowfat plain organic yogurt = 16g sugar per cup. (But I have 1/2 cup with mine)

Cheryl, you must be able to read my mind... I came here specifically to ask about Almond Milk! :laugh: Just saw it at the grocery store and it looks pretty good actually! I've been missing cereal and all the reviews I've read have sung praises for Almond milk, more specifically the unsweetened vanilla almond milk! Now I wish I would have gotten a carton while I was there! Any further thoughts on it? I was looking for an alternative to my chemical-laden :grumble: coffee creamer!

Tams,

I've finally settled on soy creamer. Here's why.

1. Never used coffee mate - chemical
    2. Half and half was good, but puts me over in Sat Fat too easily, I tend to use 2 servings a day of it
    3. Low fat milk is too watery and too calorie dense to get the right mix in coffee
    5. Unsweetened coconut creamer is pretty tasteless, and hard to find in the stores, and expensive
    4. Almond milk curdles in hot liquids - tastes the same, just looks weird

I didn't even know there was a soy creamer until about a month ago. I'm hooked. Good flavor, you don't use a lot of it, it blends well, no sat fat, no cholesterol, sugars less than 1g, 15 calories, 1g of fat, 10 mg sodium in one tablespoon. You can buy it anywhere, and it's about the same price as half and half. Regular soy MILK also curdles, like the almond milk does.

Almond milk is awesome in anythng cold where you would use milk. It's expensive, too, but I don't use that much of it, and I could never go through a half gallon of dairy milk before it went bad.

..............................................................................

You're the best Cheryl! Thanks for the info on the curdling, I was all set to run right back out and get it for my coffee! I'll have to search for the soy creamer, any particular brand you would recommend?? I'm willing to try that Almond milk though, need to hit the stores for a low sugar cereal to go with it, amazes me the amount of sugar in cereal, even the ones touted as "low sugar"!

Happy Days to you!
  • cmriverside
    Options
    What is the sugar content of plain yogurt? Just wondering... without having to run to the grocery store! I miss my yogurt...used to eat it with a nice yummy granola... those were the days :ohwell:

That is my breakfast every morning with a full serving of strawberries (3/4 cup) and a 1/4 serving of blueberries, some flax, almonds, almond milk. A huge bowl is only 273 kcals. Protein, Carbs and good fats + probiotics. What's not to love?

Nancy's lowfat plain organic yogurt = 16g sugar per cup. (But I have 1/2 cup with mine)

Cheryl, you must be able to read my mind... I came here specifically to ask about Almond Milk! :laugh: Just saw it at the grocery store and it looks pretty good actually! I've been missing cereal and all the reviews I've read have sung praises for Almond milk, more specifically the unsweetened vanilla almond milk! Now I wish I would have gotten a carton while I was there! Any further thoughts on it? I was looking for an alternative to my chemical-laden :grumble: coffee creamer!

Tams,

I've finally settled on soy creamer. Here's why.

1. Never used coffee mate - chemical
    2. Half and half was good, but puts me over in Sat Fat too easily, I tend to use 2 servings a day of it
    3. Low fat milk is too watery and too calorie dense to get the right mix in coffee
    5. Unsweetened coconut creamer is pretty tasteless, and hard to find in the stores, and expensive
    4. Almond milk curdles in hot liquids - tastes the same, just looks weird

I didn't even know there was a soy creamer until about a month ago. I'm hooked. Good flavor, you don't use a lot of it, it blends well, no sat fat, no cholesterol, sugars less than 1g, 15 calories, 1g of fat, 10 mg sodium in one tablespoon. You can buy it anywhere, and it's about the same price as half and half. Regular soy MILK also curdles, like the almond milk does.

Almond milk is awesome in anythng cold where you would use milk. It's expensive, too, but I don't use that much of it, and I could never go through a half gallon of dairy milk before it went bad.

..............................................................................

You're the best Cheryl! Thanks for the info on the curdling, I was all set to run right back out and get it for my coffee! I'll have to search for the soy creamer, any particular brand you would recommend?? I'm willing to try that Almond milk though, need to hit the stores for a low sugar cereal to go with it, amazes me the amount of sugar in cereal, even the ones touted as "low sugar"!

Happy Days to you!

I buy my soy creamer at Trader Joes, their store brand, or Silk, in the refrigerated section at all grocery stores with the other creamers.
  • jewelinvic
    jewelinvic Posts: 332
    Options
    Morning ladies :drinker:

I have never tried Almond or Soy Milk. Does the almond milk taste "almondy" I love my Kashi cereal in the morning, with 1% right now, but the sugars are pretty high, I am T2 diabetic as well. Is the sugar content lower in Almond Milk?

Cheers jewel :smile:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options

I have never tried Almond or Soy Milk. Does the almond milk taste "almondy" I love my Kashi cereal in the morning, with 1% right now, but the sugars are pretty high, I am T2 diabetic as well. Is the sugar content lower in Almond Milk?

My unsweetened almond milk has zero grams of sugar per serving. Skim milk has about 16 grams. So, much better.

It has a mild almond taste...I love mine in smoothies, but don't eat cereal. There is an unsweetened chocolate almond milk that I drink plain if I need a little something chocolatey.

I :heart: almond milk.

also, I'm at two days with zero refined anything (flour/sugar).

I tracked my added sugar yesterday and the day before. zero. (this is probably due to the fact that I can't have bread/cereals, etc.) Today I made myself some iced tea (I've been hitting the diet soda pretty hard and want to break that habit.) I put some agave nectar in it, so I won't be at zero today. Baby steps.
  • BrendaLee
    Options

Almond milk is actually really good- the vanilla is awesome on any type of vanilla flavored cereal. As viviakay said, there's no sugar which is pretty fabulous, because it seems to be one of the few foods you can find these days that doesn't have sugar.

Soy milk, on the other hand, to me, tastes like soy sauce, but I don't like any soy products.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options

Almond milk is actually really good- the vanilla is awesome on any type of vanilla flavored cereal. As viviakay said, there's no sugar which is pretty fabulous, because it seems to be one of the few foods you can find these days that doesn't have sugar.

Soy milk, on the other hand, to me, tastes like soy sauce, but I don't like any soy products.

Question on the Almond Milk? What is the difference on the taste of Almond milk sweetened vs. unsweeted, taste wise I mean. Also for those of you that already use it or know the stats, just how much difference in the nutrition label is there?

Thanks! Was actually looking at it the other day in the store, considering it.

Do those of you that drink it, do so because you enjoy the flavor or is it simply to avoid regular milk, or?? Thanks:flowerforyou:
  • jewelinvic
    Options
    You guys are terrific! Thank you for the input. I will try the almond milk, but will stay away from the "bean juice" soy milk. I'm not being mean, I saw that on a Lewis Black comedy special a couple of years ago and it stuck with me.

I am not eating much or drinking any milk or milk products over the next couple of days, as I have a bacterial infection on my soft palette - how in God's name I got it - I have no idea. It feels like strep except the roof of my mouth hurts and it sucks huge when I sneeze! I am on anti-biotics for the next 7 days and am not allowed grapefruit or grapefruit juice :mad:

I hope you all have a great night!

Cheers! jewel
  • cmriverside
    Options
    cmriverside completed yesterday's food diary and is over her calories by 2,086. So much for this week's numbers :ohwell:

The cocktails & lunch at Red Robin were the beginning of the fall - but that was 3:00. I still had to face all the groceries I bought - including two bananas because we had talked about them and I changed my nutrients to reflect potassium. Didn't eat one though - and only bought two. Turns out there are lots of other veggies and fruits with equal or more potassium, like spinach - which I eat every day - potatoes (my rationale for the Red Robin escapade) - the 60 calorie coconut water - which I bought 5 servings of yesterday because I was out, zucchini, peanut butter, bell peppers, prunes: all of which are n heavy rotation in my diary. So this will be a short trip down Banana-Memory Lane for me.

It... just... sounded... good.

hiding.gif

............................................................................................................................
  • BrendaLee
    Options
    cmriverside completed yesterday's food diary and is over her calories by 2,086. So much for this week's numbers :ohwell:

The cocktails & lunch at Red Robin were the beginning of the fall - but that was 3:00. I still had to face all the groceries I bought - including two bananas because we had talked about them and I changed my nutrients to reflect potassium. Didn't eat one though - and only bought two. Turns out there are lots of other veggies and fruits with equal or more potassium, like spinach - which I eat every day - potatoes (my rationale for the Red Robin escapade) - the 60 calorie coconut water - which I bought 5 servings of yesterday because I was out, zucchini, peanut butter, bell peppers, prunes: all of which are n heavy rotation in my diary. So this will be a short trip down Banana-Memory Lane for me.

It... just... sounded... good.

hiding.gif

............................................................................................................................

lol

Come to the banana side.
  • MTGirl
    Options
    Well - I'm back to 0. Was doing really good yesterday. Was only over by 15 calories after dinner. Before dinner I started snacking on the corn chips. I justified it - they're NOT potato chips. They are a "trigger food". I was also really tired. Really tired. I was tired when I crawled out of bed at 5:30. I worked out - W2D2 of the Couch to 5K. I went to the dentist - 1 cavity filled and impressions for my partial to replace the teeth I had pulled last April. Hubby went to his men's group and I was home with 2 kids driving me nuts and I was exhausted. So we had sweeteners, sugar AND potatoes. OOPS.

So what do you guys do when you are physically very tired and can't go to bed yet? In a couple of years, I would have just left the kiddos in the living room to do whatever and gone to bed. Hubby would have made them go to bed on time when he got home - the oldest is 14 now. But the baby is only 5 (not much of a baby!). She is still my shadow. If I go lay down, she grabs a stack of books and comes to lay down with me. And she's not quiet :laugh: It's better if dh isn't home to just stay in the living room. Cuz I know I can't go to sleep there - if I lay down on the bed I entertain fantasies about actually getting to snooze and then get really p*ssed when I don't get to.

Anyhow - today is my anniversary so we are going out to dinner. I already told dh that if I have room, I will have dessert. My goal was to not have any sugar until then today - but I didn't eat breakfast at home, things spiraled out of control timewise today. So the goodie table won out on breakie. Small piece -enjoyed every bite. Will have Subway for lunch - no chips. Nothing to snack on, so I don't know what I will do about that. Cheese and crackers I suppose. Then dinner somewhere. DH won't tell me :smooched: I love surprises! Kiddos at grandma and grandpa's for the night. :heart: I'm gonna burn that sugar off one way or another :love:

Edit - stupid typos!
  • jewelinvic
    Options
    LOL at come to the banana side. :laugh: Being married to a Star Wars geek and becoming one by proxy, that reminded me of a t-shirt i saw that said "come to the Dark Side, we have cookies" I love that T-Shirt.

MTGirl, Happy Anniversary! :heart: I'm pretty sure you can find a way to burn off the extra sugars, especially with the kids out of the house for the night. Have a great time and giver yourself permission to indulge this one day. Tomorrow is a new day, so back on track then!

Cheers!

jewel :drinker:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    LOL at come to the banana side. :laugh: Being married to a Star Wars geek and becoming one by proxy, that reminded me of a t-shirt i saw that said "come to the Dark Side, we have cookies" I love that T-Shirt.

MTGirl, Happy Anniversary! :heart: I'm pretty sure you can find a way to burn off the extra sugars, especially with the kids out of the house for the night. Have a great time and giver yourself permission to indulge this one day. Tomorrow is a new day, so back on track then!

Cheers!

jewel :drinker:

For Star Wars geeks everywhere--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV7Ha3VDbzE
  • MTGirl
    Options
    Well, today is Day 1 all over again. Anniversary was great - dh bought me a Polar FT7. Just a little excited! Had a conference all day yesterday, and did pretty well, but I did steal a couple of bites of dh's goodies. Had some yogurt, but I don't think I'm going to count that as "sugar" for my purposes, because it doesn't set me up for cravings like pastries, candy, etc. does.

Well - here we go again. A brand new week. Last week of winter - wish it could be the last week of winter weather too! lol. That will come, I know. Still . . .:yawn: Gotta go clean now :grumble: Oh, and yes. I did manage to burn off the extra sugar I ate Friday :love:
  • MTGirl
    Options
    :sad: Did I kill it??? Didn't mean to! :cry:
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    So - I think this was discussed by a few of you but I cannot remember who. My joints and my feet in particular get very sore/achey anytime I eat anything with refined sugars. I ate some chocolate yesterday afternoon and by the evening my feet were killing me, and so was my back and hips!
    No more chocolate for me... it's a sad day.
  • BrendaLee
    Options
    :sad: Did I kill it??? Didn't mean to! :cry:

It dies once in a while. lol

So, I was doing well...then I started having a taste here and there which led to a full out binge last night. I'm hopeful I can recover, but I have to say...I get pretty tired of the fight sometimes.
  • BrendaLee
    Options
    So - I think this was discussed by a few of you but I cannot remember who. My joints and my feet in particular get very sore/achey anytime I eat anything with refined sugars. I ate some chocolate yesterday afternoon and by the evening my feet were killing me, and so was my back and hips!
    No more chocolate for me... it's a sad day.

It IS sad. I think it's important to acknowledge that...it's like losing a best friend. But, if any other friendship were as harmful and toxic as this one, I think we would have kicked them to the curb long ago. :tongue: