Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

cardio is pointless in my opinion

Replies

• Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    We still talking about this :yawn:

Cardio works.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    We still talking about this :yawn:

Cardio works.

132737010792.gif
  • waste of time? you have to create a deficit somehow to lose weight and for me slashing my calories is a NO NO!

The bigger the burn, the bigger the plateful! :drinker:

:smokin:

EXACTLY!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,605 Member
    why use all your energy tying to create a deficit in your body to lose weight? why not just channel that energy to muscle development.

and before anyone gets butt hurt, i kayak and cycle every weekend.

unless you are in a sport that requires aerobic fitness, then yeah there is a point, but other then that just a waste of time.

100% agree. For anyone who is interested google "chronic cardio" and you can learn about the effects of too much cardio.
    I even have a scientific clinical study that shows what a lifetime of running and marathons does to the heart. Not good. (and the hearts swells up after a marathon and can take about 3 months to go back to normal).

People seem to forget that the heart is a muscle. You can overwork and strain a muscle. You can pull a muscle. Any muscle that you overwork has the potential to bonk out - certainly don't want the heart bonking out. Once or twice a week I do about 25 mintues on the treadmill. For 30 seconds every 4 minutes I run full speed. I get my heart rate back to normal then I do it again. This does just as much - if not more - for your cardiovascular system without drenching the body in cortisol.

People also don't realize that exercise is stress on the body. You are breaking the body down. Gains happen during recovery, not during the exericse.

Please do post the science.

Ta.

(Signed: A scientist)
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,605 Member
    Recent studies have shown that some people gain no benefit from cardio and some people do. It depends if you are a non responder then you get no benefit from it. I did sprints occasionally and walked alot. I got my body from lifting.

Do what you love to do, end of. Get your diet right, it's bad diet that will give you heart attacks etc...

Could we see the studies please?
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    I'm small. (Short, and within a healthy weight range,although I'd like to lose about 5-8 pounds for vanity's sake). For me, the only way I can stay within my calorie goal, which is smaller than I like, is to burn a significant number of calories, and the most time efficient way is running.

Before you all start saying I need to "eat more to weigh less," just know that I have put considerable research into making sure I know my stats (BMR, RMR, TDEE, cals burned from exercise, etc), and every way you run the numbers, the calories are restrictive. So I must keep cardio as a part of my routine, since I do not enjoy a diet of primarily leaves and twigs!!

I also know that muscle burns more fat, etc. But again do the research and you will find that the daily calorie requirements for having more muscle are not terribly significant. (My body fat is reasonable, but I do keep some strenghth training going to continue to improve!)

So perhaps cardio is not important for larger frames (and men) who have reasonable calorie requirements, but it is necessary for many to lose and maintain.

Thankfully I enjoy cardio. Like an earlier post said, my run is MY time AWAY!!
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member

Rule+1+Cardio+_61b324fa4e10947a05334b93965bf437.gif
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    I'm sorry. I haven't read even a little bit of this thread, but I just had to tell someone about the awesome lunch I just had: I got one of those huge burritos from Chipotle, complete with evil white rice and cheese. With it, I ate a whole bag of their tortilla chips and washed it down with two pale ales. Total calories: approximately 1650! And, I have 800 calories left to spend on my not-nearly-famous-enough homemade mac'n'cheese tonight. So, yeah, I'd say that hour and a half I spent jogging was totally pointless.

I should add that my weight loss has been consistent and that I haven't lost even a fraction of an inch off of my arms and legs.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    why use all your energy tying to create a deficit in your body to lose weight? why not just channel that energy to muscle development.

unless you are in a sport that requires aerobic fitness, then yeah there is a point, but other then that just a waste of time.

What the point of increasing the size of your muscle? How will that help anyone? It's not directly related strength.

What sports do you participate in where muscle size is important for your sport?

Professional Wrestling!!!

The fans want to see the big freakish muscles!!!
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    After doing Insanity for over 60 days and becoming absolutely sick of it and getting almost no visible results, I am inclined to agree. :wink:
  • why use all your energy tying to create a deficit in your body to lose weight? why not just channel that energy to muscle development.

100% agree. For anyone who is interested google "chronic cardio" and you can learn about the effects of too much cardio.
    I even have a scientific clinical study that shows what a lifetime of running and marathons does to the heart. Not good. (and the hearts swells up after a marathon and can take about 3 months to go back to normal).

People seem to forget that the heart is a muscle. You can overwork and strain a muscle. You can pull a muscle. Any muscle that you overwork has the potential to bonk out - certainly don't want the heart bonking out. Once or twice a week I do about 25 mintues on the treadmill. For 30 seconds every 4 minutes I run full speed. I get my heart rate back to normal then I do it again. This does just as much - if not more - for your cardiovascular system without drenching the body in cortisol.

People also don't realize that exercise is stress on the body. You are breaking the body down. Gains happen during recovery, not during the exericse.

Please do post the science.

Ta.

(Signed: A scientist)

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • sailinjen
    sailinjen Posts: 103 Member
    AMEN!
  • furenaef
    furenaef Posts: 157 Member
    What the point of increasing the size of your muscle? How will that help anyone? It's not directly related strength.

What sports do you participate in where muscle size is important for your sport?

Muscle size is directly related to strength, and for the people saying “cardio is good for your cardiovascular health” are not awear that any type of exercise is good for your cardiovascular health.

Just because cardio starts with the word cardio, doesn’t imply that it is the only exercise good for your “heart”

and just because your "cardiologist " says its good, doesnt mean isnt written in stone. cardio is ok, but people have died doing cardio and as well as people that have not died doing cardio. such black statements as "my doc says this, so it must be this and all other possible answers are wrong" is just stupid
  • furenaef
  • CottonCandyKisses
    CottonCandyKisses Posts: 246 Member
    Until the zombies come.......

Seriously though I think the aerobic benefits are better here then with just strength training. I like to incorporate both.

Exactly. About the zombies....Oh and the 2nd part too.
  • CottonCandyKisses
    CottonCandyKisses Posts: 246 Member

Rule+1+Cardio+_61b324fa4e10947a05334b93965bf437.gif

I like your waffles.
  • nphect
    nphect Posts: 474

Muscle size is directly related to strength, and for the people saying “cardio is good for your cardiovascular health” are not awear that any type of exercise is good for your cardiovascular health.

Just because cardio starts with the word cardio, doesn’t imply that it is the only exercise good for your “heart”

and just because your "cardiologist " says its good, doesnt mean isnt written in stone. cardio is ok, but people have died doing cardio and as well as people that have not died doing cardio. such black statements as "my doc says this, so it must be this and all other possible answers are wrong" is just stupid

im pretty sure kayaking and cycling is cardio
  • furenaef

yes, i do them bc i enjoy them and not bc i am trying to create a defecit to lose weight, i only do it on the weekends when it doesnt rain
  • nphect
    nphect Posts: 474

yes, i do them bc i enjoy them and not bc i am trying to create a defecit to lose weight, i only do it on the weekends when it doesnt rain

so your suggesting overweight people should just strength train, and never do cardio?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

Err. - no!