cardio is pointless in my opinion

Options

Replies

• MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    why use all your energy tying to create a deficit in your body to lose weight? why not just channel that energy to muscle development.

and before anyone gets butt hurt, i kayak and cycle every weekend.

unless you are in a sport that requires aerobic fitness, then yeah there is a point, but other then that just a waste of time.

This view makes perfect sense from the point of view of someone already in reasonably good shape and it might even have the added bonus of less wear and tear on joints. But some of us still have quite a bit to lose, and cardio can burn calories long after our out of shape, wimpy selves would have had to put down the weights or head for the ER with a pulled something or other from overdoing.

Also, some of us were so sedentary before we started working out that our endurance would barely let us get up and down stairs, and building that up by walking, jogging, or cycling, for example, was necessary.
  • chilly1979
    chilly1979 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I like how he says cardio is pointless then mentions his hobbies are cardio based.
    I’m the same way. I do zero cardio in the gym because I mountain bike. So to me cardio is a waste of time because my hobby is a cardio workout.
    If I did not bike though I would do some cardio.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    This thread is pointless in my opinion.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    My Mum had a major heart attack and can now barely walk 30 yards.
    Think I will continue to look after my cardio health thanks all the same.

As for the people that think everyone can "lift heavy" unfortunately that's not true. I'm limited by knee, back and shoulder injuries so will never get back to lifting the weights I could when I was younger.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Everything is pointless in the scheme of things.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I 80/20% agree with you! I think weight training is more important than cardio even though I think some cardio is not bad. I was speaking with my brother in law and he made a point that was awesome and eye catching. If you go to a gym and look at the folks on cardio machine they are normally the heavier individuals and the people that are weight training are more in shape. See for yourself and you be the judge.
    I've seen for myself. I don't do cardio in a gym - maybe that's the problem. I run on the street or on the trail around the lake. There are a sh1tload of people in great shape running on that trail all the time. Lots of "inspiration".
  • KilikiMom
    KilikiMom Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    yep cause my 20lb weight loss was a waste of time....yeah i did that pretty much all with cardio....and im in better shape now than i was when i was 17
  • sjohnny
    Options
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I 80/20% agree with you! I think weight training is more important than cardio even though I think some cardio is not bad. I was speaking with my brother in law and he made a point that was awesome and eye catching. If you go to a gym and look at the folks on cardio machine they are normally the heavier individuals and the people that are weight training are more in shape. See for yourself and you be the judge.
    I've seen for myself. I don't do cardio in a gym - maybe that's the problem. I run on the street or on the trail around the lake. There are a sh1tload of people in great shape running on that trail all the time. Lots of "inspiration".

What Johhny said.

I went to support a friend in a race that I didn't do a few months ago and so I was at the finish line when the winners came in and the women had the kind of bidy I strive for. Absolutely beautiful.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options

^^^. This. We're probably speaking different languages. Running, hiking, biking, surfing, snow boarding...all that stuff is pretty athletic and I don't really put it into the pure cardio category. Running on a machine, yes, that's cardio, and yes, kind of a waste of time. I haven't been on a machine in years. That's not my thing.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    why use all your energy tying to create a deficit in your body to lose weight? why not just channel that energy to muscle development.

and before anyone gets butt hurt, i kayak and cycle every weekend.

unless you are in a sport that requires aerobic fitness, then yeah there is a point, but other then that just a waste of time.

I agree 100% and at the same time disagree 100%
  • KilikiMom
    KilikiMom Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    omg totally read OP's profile...wow...yep someone like that would make a stupid post like this....
  • willwillywilson
    Options

You summed up what my response would of been with this line. You have to work your heart and lungs somehow. Everyone has a different way. Also, everyone's situation is different. The "you should just lift weights" mentality probably works if you're semi-fit already and just want to lose 15lbs to get better abs. Maybe not so much when someone is trying to lose 50lbs.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    "People in masks cannot be trusted."

People with their heads wrapped up in their grandmothers' shawls can be trusted even less.
  • 00Melyanna00
    00Melyanna00 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    The benefits to my cardiovascular system and the stress relief aren't pointless.
    While it's true that, if I liked lifting, I would relieve stress with that, too, the first point isn't even subjective to my experience.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I've found that a balance of cardio and weight training has worked best for me :)
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I can't do weights or too much heavy lifting because of a health issue. Also, why not strengthen your heart by doing cardio?
  • willwillywilson
    Options

You've made my question my entire life.
  • Jul158
    Jul158 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Cardio..as the name implies, improves your cardiovascular strength. Your heart is a muscle that needs to be worked out as well which is done most effectively through cardio (i.e. HIIT...which can be performed a variety of ways).
  • ryannpem
    ryannpem Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Both forms of exercise are very important. Aerobic exercise is more likely to cause initial weight loss and increase Resting Energy Expenditure (REE) following workouts. Resistance training builds Lean Body Mass (LBM), which is an essential mechanism for burning calories during rest and experiencing long-term weight loss. A good workout routine will consist of both aerobic exercise and strength/resistance training.