cardio is pointless in my opinion

Options

Replies

• DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    If y'all haven't read the OP's profile, you need to. Right now. It is some of the funniest whackadoodle *kitten* I have ever read.

with utmost respect, brah. :flowerforyou:
    Yeah, he cant even get his own gender correct.... ????
  • HazenAllen
    HazenAllen Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have a great idea! How about, do both cardiovascular exercises and resistance training for both benefits.

Also, being passive aggressively condescending about what other people are doing with THEIR bodies. Awesome!
  • xxloveiswarr
    Options
    If y'all haven't read the OP's profile, you need to. Right now. It is some of the funniest whackadoodle *kitten* I have ever read.

with utmost respect, brah. :flowerforyou:

thank you for pointing that out. his profile is truly... special. i forgot what i had to say on the original topic.
  • kandilynn03
    kandilynn03 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I want to be able to run 5k. It's a matter of pride. My middle school track team was really small, so anyone could participate if they wanted to. I joined because I wanted to get out of class and go to track meets. Everything was taken by the good atheletes, except for the mile run. So, I signed up to do it. During practice, the coach was busy with the people doing the relay or something, so I just pretended to be doing something, but mostly just goofed off. At the first meet, I was the last one still on the track after the race, and my coach came and pulled me off and said that she appreciated the effort, but they needed the track for other races. I will never feel like I've actually accomplished getting in shape until I can run miles without stopping. That's not pointless.

Yes, I want to get strong as well. But there is nothing wrong with cardio. And just because cardio doesn't fit into your goals, doesn't mean that it's not good or important for anyone else.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Why does it have to be an either/or question? Strength training and lifting improves metabolism long term as muscle is more thermogenic than fat. Strength training and lifting also improve bone density. Cardiovascular improves heart function, hence the reason it is called Cardiovascular. Cardio=heart in latin, vascular=veins. Improved heart function improves lung function and endurance.
    Sure, you can lose weight doing just one or the other, but then you miss out on other health benefits. Just like we focus on balanced nutrition we should also focus on balanced fitness. Not everyone can join a gym or buy weights, but everyone can go out for a walk, take the stairs, and other cardiovascular exercises. Form matters much more in strength training to prevent injury, not everyone can develop good form without a trainer.
    I think instead of criticizing people who are focused on one over the other people should understand that everyone's abilities and resources are different and anything that leads to weight loss and healthier lifestyle should be applauded.

Exactamundo!
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Wow, I guess all of my weight loss was imaginary...
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Cardio is good for cardiovascular reasons..what's not to love about that?

:bigsmile:
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    HELL TO NO!!!!!! should i say that again????? HELL TO NO!!, ha ha ha
    CARDIO ROCKS !, maybe you should come on over and i will teach you about CARDIO!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    ****** Don't feed the troll *********
  • HotMummyMission
    HotMummyMission Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Cardio is pointless in shaped the body I think too but it makes you feel good and heathly also x
  • Redskins76
    Options
    I 80/20% agree with you! I think weight training is more important than cardio even though I think some cardio is not bad. I was speaking with my brother in law and he made a point that was awesome and eye catching. If you go to a gym and look at the folks on cardio machine they are normally the heavier individuals and the people that are weight training are more in shape. See for yourself and you be the judge.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I don't do cardio for weight loss. I'm on maintenance, actually. I do cardio for the awesome stress relief it provides, and because it has been a key player in bringing my blood pressure and resting heart rate down to healthy levels. It has also provided some lovely definition in my abs and nice toning in my legs. :flowerforyou:
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I do cardio because I like it... not because I think I have to.

Now that I can actually run for more then a mile without getting winded, I like to see how far and how fast I can go... and with strength training you can't always do that.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    why use all your energy tying to create a deficit in your body to lose weight? why not just channel that energy to muscle development.

and before anyone gets butt hurt, i kayak and cycle every weekend.

unless you are in a sport that requires aerobic fitness, then yeah there is a point, but other then that just a waste of time.

1> cardio is my warm up for weights

2> cardio seems to help my asthma meds work better

3> as the mother of a special needs child, I am at risk for depression. Cardio releases endorphins, endorphins make you happy
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I can't believe everyone fell for this trolls useless comment.
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    They call it cardio for a reason - the benefit to your heart. The primary reason I do it is to combat crappy cardiac genes I have. My mom and brother both had already had several heart attacks at the age I currently am (56). Mom died at 59 and brother at 61 - all cardiac related. Sister and dad both had heart attacks in their 60's. All my family has diabetes except me. I'm working like hell to prevent all this from happening to me.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If you think it's useless, then don't do it. Easy peasy.

But if it makes you feel all superior to go on a fitness website and tell everyone how much better you are than some of them, then by all means, enjoy.
  • louiseshaw88
    louiseshaw88 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    If you think it's useless, then don't do it. Easy peasy.

But if it makes you feel all superior to go on a fitness website and tell everyone how much better you are than some of them, then by all means, enjoy.

I love that comment :)

Cardio = burning carlories = useless = failed fitness guru
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    why use all your energy tying to create a deficit in your body to lose weight? why not just channel that energy to muscle development.

and before anyone gets butt hurt, i kayak and cycle every weekend.

unless you are in a sport that requires aerobic fitness, then yeah there is a point, but other then that just a waste of time.

that's nice dear
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    The only cardio I do is walking. And that's because I enjoy it, and my other half enjoys my new awesomely firm bottom.