cardio is pointless in my opinion

Options

Replies

• meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I think to combine the two is best i still burn lots of calories weight training but hell i like cardio so why not lol
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    (and this, from the book brain rules)
    The human brain evolved under conditions of almost constant motion. From this, one might predict that the optimal environment for processing information would include motion. That is exactly what one finds. Indeed, the best business meeting would have everyone walking at about 1.8 miles per hour.

Researchers studied two elderly populations that had led different lifestyles, one sedentary and one active. Cognitive scores were profoundly influenced. Exercise positively affected executive function, spatial tasks, reaction times and quantitative skills.

So researchers asked: If the sedentary populations become active, will their cognitive scores go up? Yes, it turns out, if the exercise is aerobic. In four months, executive functions vastly improve; longer, and memory scores improve as well.

Exercise improves cognition for two reasons:

Exercise increases oxygen flow into the brain, which reduces brain-bound free radicals. One of the most interesting findings of the past few decades is that an increase in oxygen is always accompanied by an uptick in mental sharpness.
    Exercise acts directly on the molecular machinery of the brain itself. It increases neurons’ creation, survival, and resistance to damage and stress.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    :huh: Cardio pointless???? not for me it's not!!! I love strength training and I love cardio, I find it FUN & they both serve a purpose in my opinion. This is my opinion on what I choose for myself...it's working, to me, that's what is most important.

always mystified when I see an entire thread bashing either cardio or weights... is there a real point to bashing either?

We all have different bodies, at different stages, please consider new ppl looking to lose weight and how these threads may look to them... yes those that have 100's of lbs. to lose, how can cardio be pointless?

I don't agree :yawn: shrugs.....

but OP you did add that in the thread title that was your opinion....... and this is mine.:flowerforyou:

Say someone jumped on board and said: "In my opinion carrots are pointless, stop eating them".... we should all toss them out and stop? Different strokes for different folks..... I like carrots and I like eating them before my cardio workouts as a matter of fact. :tongue: :wink: :bigsmile:
    I think to combine the two is best i still burn lots of calories weight training but hell i like cardio so why not lol
    exactly, why the hell not?! :o)

One thing I do enjoy about threads like this and others that cram opinions on us that may not apply to everyone, the ignore feature, so handy to have to not have to hear repeat comments that aren't ones that work for me.

All hail the ignore feature, which I don't find pointless either... even after a carrot or two.rolleye0019.gif
    Why does it have to be an either/or question?
    :drinker:

<snip>... stop worrying about what other ppl enjoy and start worrying about what YOU do..
    well said
    Cardio is pointless in your opinion, but your opinion and this thread are pointless in my opinion.

that made me smile:bigsmile:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Muscle development on a deficit...hmmmmm...or are you saying everyone should stay and get fatter to develop muscle?

Why does your profile say you are female?
  • marywilsoncline
    marywilsoncline Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    just like giving ones opinion is pointless unless asked too :grumble:
  • RychelleD
    RychelleD Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Why does it have to be an either/or question? Strength training and lifting improves metabolism long term as muscle is more thermogenic than fat. Strength training and lifting also improve bone density. Cardiovascular improves heart function, hence the reason it is called Cardiovascular. Cardio=heart in latin, vascular=veins. Improved heart function improves lung function and endurance.
    Sure, you can lose weight doing just one or the other, but then you miss out on other health benefits. Just like we focus on balanced nutrition we should also focus on balanced fitness. Not everyone can join a gym or buy weights, but everyone can go out for a walk, take the stairs, and other cardiovascular exercises. Form matters much more in strength training to prevent injury, not everyone can develop good form without a trainer.
    I think instead of criticizing people who are focused on one over the other people should understand that everyone's abilities and resources are different and anything that leads to weight loss and healthier lifestyle should be applauded.
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Why does it have to be an either/or question? Strength training and lifting improves metabolism long term as muscle is more thermogenic than fat. Strength training and lifting also improve bone density. Cardiovascular improves heart function, hence the reason it is called Cardiovascular. Cardio=heart in latin, vascular=veins. Improved heart function improves lung function and endurance.
    Sure, you can lose weight doing just one or the other, but then you miss out on other health benefits. Just like we focus on balanced nutrition we should also focus on balanced fitness. Not everyone can join a gym or buy weights, but everyone can go out for a walk, take the stairs, and other cardiovascular exercises. Form matters much more in strength training to prevent injury, not everyone can develop good form without a trainer.
    I think instead of criticizing people who are focused on one over the other people should understand that everyone's abilities and resources are different and anything that leads to weight loss and healthier lifestyle should be applauded.

Perfect answer.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Improving your cardio vascular system will carry over into your strength training. Improving your heart's ability to pump more blood and oxygen to your muscles while strength training is critical.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    There is no point at all? Just because it is not a necessity for weight loss it doesn't mean there's no point. Some people simply enjoy it and there are some benefits health-wise. And why can't we do both strength training AND cardio?

Also, what? Muscle development on a deficit? :huh:
  • rwhawkes
    rwhawkes Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I love cardio - put on the ipod, get the heart rate up to 80 - 90% yah baby. I like cycling when the weather permits and I like the elliptical and stationary bike in the gym. I cannot wait till I've taken off enough weight so my ankles and knees will allow me to run 10K, 21K, 42,2K. I like the resting heart rate in the low 50s and I find weight training supremely boring. Unless I'm chopping and stacking wood.

Just my opinion.
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    Pointless for who?
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    "People in masks cannot be trusted."
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    You clearly started this thread to rile people up. I seriously cannot think of another reason you might post this- you don't seem to be trying to help others, your own opinion is already pre-determined, you're not looking for intelligent debate...basicalkly this is a flame thread.

Cardio is pointless in your opinion, but your opinion and this thread are pointless in my opinion.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options

• Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    lol i do cardio so i can eat more in a deficit , THAT simple ... eat more , do cardio and lose weight
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Your heart is a muscle, it needs conditioning like any other muscle. Cario is the best way to do this. There's also the fat loss factor.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    why use all your energy tying to create a deficit in your body to lose weight? why not just channel that energy to muscle development.

and before anyone gets butt hurt, i kayak and cycle every weekend.

unless you are in a sport that requires aerobic fitness, then yeah there is a point, but other then that just a waste of time.
    From a body re composition perspective, I agree. However, if you're stepping on stage to compete, that's a different story.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    If y'all haven't read the OP's profile, you need to. Right now. It is some of the funniest whackadoodle *kitten* I have ever read.

with utmost respect, brah. :flowerforyou:
  • NaturallyOlivia
    NaturallyOlivia Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I think running is actually a great way to build lean muscle which is the kind I wish to have and I enjoy the endurance aspect of it. Busting my hump on the treadmill and the elliptical makes the days when I go into work at 4 AM in the morning to put away truck for 5 hours straight a less painful, more efficient experience. Idk, I think it has done a lot for me in the weight loss arena, but I agree that it should be coupled with weight training. Cardio being the only means of exercise may not be the best route.

But I'll be the first to admit my fitness/weight loss knowledge is quite limited. I only know what has worked for my body.
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Not everything done on here is strictly for weight loss purposes, to include cardio work outs. Some people just want to have a healthier lifestyle. There are MANY reasons to do cardio, thus not rendering it pointless...
    1. Improves heart health, 2) increases metabolism 3) increases hormonal profile releasing serotonin and other "feel" good chemicals that can help ward off or ease depression symptoms, can decrease fatigue and also decrease appetite. 4) its a great way to relieve stress 5) it improves the recovery ability of muscles from lifting by helping to remove by products created during heavy weight lifting. 6) it can help prevent and/or reduce and improve chronic illness such as diabetes, cystic fibrosis, etc. 7) it improves sleep and 8) some people simply enjoy it, which is reason enough for me!