cardio is pointless in my opinion

Options

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Context is important. When you're a larger male, chopping 200-300 calories off of your diet to reestablish an energy deficit is no sweat.

If you're a smaller woman with lower calorie needs, it may be difficult to establish a sufficent deficit with lifting alone.

I would say, however, that cardio is not required to be in good cardiometabolic health, lifting pretty much provides the same benefits.
  • Mylolamia
    Mylolamia Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    You clearly started this thread to rile people up. I seriously cannot think of another reason you might post this- you don't seem to be trying to help others, your own opinion is already pre-determined, you're not looking for intelligent debate...basicalkly this is a flame thread.

Cardio is pointless in your opinion, but your opinion and this thread are pointless in my opinion.

I agree with you on this one?
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I would say, however, that cardio is not required to be in good cardiometabolic health, lifting pretty much provides the same benefits.

I would imagine you'd have to lift specifically for it though, no?

Currently there is very little NEED for someone to be able to lift very heavy weights. It can be useful but weak people can get by in life just fine. The same goes for running or swimming or other forms of cardio. Being able to do it is useful, but isn't necessary for survival.

That being said, I like the idea of being able to run to catch my train and actually make it there without being winded. I like to be able to jump off a boat when I'm on vacation and swim around without fear of straying too far. I like to be able to join a pickup game of football or soccer or whatever and not be the weakest player on the field. I'd like to be able to go on a hike with my wife and not have to stop for water breaks every five minutes, or go skiing for an entire day and be fine.

Cardio isn't necessary, but for the reasons listed above I certainly don't think it's pointless. That's not considering the health impacts it has.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    To me, it's important for me to be strong and physically able to run, jump, and do everything I want to do. Those things require both strength training and cardiovascular fitness. You get the best of both worlds by engaging in both types of exercise.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I run because I have 5 kids at home and it's the only way I get out alone... you can't make me stop. But I will admit I love what lifting is doing for my body.
    You can run but you won't get away.

I've been trying to make my house child proof since I started having kids but they still get in.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I think it's hilarious when a gym rat can't run a mile.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Until the zombies come.......

Seriously though I think the aerobic benefits are better here then with just strength training. I like to incorporate both.

I agree that doing both is optimal for burning fat. My body fat percentage goes down a lot faster when I do both rather than just one or the other. (Not to mention the health benefits of cardio, and notwithstanding the zombie apocalypse)

tumblr_l9dgqa1Fbt1qdui8oo1_500.jpg
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    tell that to my heart, my cholesterol levels, and my mental well-being
    Ditto!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    i think cardio should be for fun and not for actual weight loss. example, you burn more then you ate doing cardio= you lose some weight, keep eating less, and working out more, and more, that equation just doesnt work. Your body will be recked.

Personally, burning fat is *MUCH* more important to me than losing weight. "Weight" could mean LBM instead of fat. :wink:
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    why use all your energy tying to create a deficit in your body to lose weight? why not just channel that energy to muscle development.

and before anyone gets butt hurt, i kayak and cycle every weekend.

unless you are in a sport that requires aerobic fitness, then yeah there is a point, but other then that just a waste of time.

How about the benefits to your heart? The feel good feeling? How about if it works for you, then do it.

Not Everyone is into lifting.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I do cardio so I can complete in my first Half Ironman next year.

I assume if I don't do any cardio, I won't do that well @ the race.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Ditto!

same here!!
  • loseweightjames
    Options
    why use all your energy tying to create a deficit in your body to lose weight? why not just channel that energy to muscle development.

and before anyone gets butt hurt, i kayak and cycle every weekend.

unless you are in a sport that requires aerobic fitness, then yeah there is a point, but other then that just a waste of time.

--building muscle doesn't burn enough calories in many men to lose the gut
    --cardio is a great way to meet fit women :D

best route is a combination of muscle building and cardio
  • dawndw
    dawndw Posts: 203
    Options

Exactly, my mental well being. I love it for stress relief!
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I am going to dance everyday. Don't care who thinks it is pointless.
  • Lextmg86
    Lextmg86 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    ^^^ AGREE
    Having a combined exercise plan that incorporates cradio AND resistance training Provides fat loss + muscle building at the same time. This combination is the best way to achieve a nice and healthy physique.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    hmmmm, I hear its good for your heart and whole cardiovcascular system...but what do I know
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    If y'all haven't read the OP's profile, you need to. Right now. It is some of the funniest whackadoodle *kitten* I have ever read.

with utmost respect, brah. :flowerforyou:

I stopped reading at zizz bird
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Ummmmm . . . because I need good circulation and strong aerobic capacity to be able to stay healthy?
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Well I don't know about anyone else, but my cardiovascular function (asthmatic, do ocassional tests at the Dr.), resting heart rate and blood pressure have all improved from high intensity weightlifting.