cardio is pointless in my opinion

Options

Replies

• Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    I do not believe that cardio is a waste of time. For some people weights are not available or an option so they have to fall back on something to keep active. Even for those that are able cardio is a form of training to strengthen the heart.
  • aftergypsies
    aftergypsies Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting is boring to me. I do it once in a while I know it probably does nothing if I only do it sporadically but oh well. Running is the only thing I enjoy in terms of cardio or working out at all. So, should I run and do cardio or nothing? I prefer running to nothing.
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    This has to be one of the dumbest posts I’ve seen on MFP. It like saying why have sex when you could channel that energy into *kitten* and get stronger arms!

I lost 120 pounds through primarily running. So cardio has worked wonders for me. I’ve never gotten a lifting high, but I have had a runner’s high. Finishing my first marathon was a top five moment of my life. You can lift all you want, that doesn’t mean you can finish 26.2 miles.

Also, not everyone wants to be ripped or spend hours in the gym lifting. Your 25, once your 35 and have a family, you may not care about being ripped either. Remember your heart is a muscle too and it needs cardio to get stronger.

Personally I like lifting, and I do it 3 hours a week, so I’m not anti-lifting but I still do more cardio.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    I am sure that all cardiologists would disagree. Just sayin.

THIS
  • Ivy_leaves
    Ivy_leaves Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on having a worthless opinion.
  • SnazzyTraveller
    SnazzyTraveller Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I am sure that all cardiologists would disagree. Just sayin.

but that's for heart health right? the OP is talking about weight loss.

As nice it would be to lose weight, I would put my heart's health above vanity any day.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    See my ticker?? That was cardio.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • JoeSzup
    JoeSzup Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    why use all your energy tying to create a deficit in your body to lose weight? why not just channel that energy to muscle development.

and before anyone gets butt hurt, i kayak and cycle every weekend.

unless you are in a sport that requires aerobic fitness, then yeah there is a point, but other then that just a waste of time.

Why use your time creating troll posts like this?
  • MamaMaryC
    MamaMaryC Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Wow, I guess all of my weight loss was imaginary...

LoL. Mine too. 85% of my weight loss is attributed to Zumba 20 min Express and Rush for Kinect (cardio not weightlifting) and Turbo Jam's Ab Jam, 20 min Express, and Cardio Party (all cardio). I just started adding Turbo Jam's Sculpt a few months ago. Other than lifting my babies, Turbo Jam's Scuplt is the only weightlifting I get maybe twice a week. If I feel like it. Sometimes I get adventurous and do it 3 times a week. But I add cardio right after.

So any newbies to exercising who stopped to read the OP... don't give up your cardio. If it is fun and gets you moving... Keep on keeping on.
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Why does it have to be an either/or question? Strength training and lifting improves metabolism long term as muscle is more thermogenic than fat. Strength training and lifting also improve bone density. Cardiovascular improves heart function, hence the reason it is called Cardiovascular. Cardio=heart in latin, vascular=veins. Improved heart function improves lung function and endurance.
    Sure, you can lose weight doing just one or the other, but then you miss out on other health benefits. Just like we focus on balanced nutrition we should also focus on balanced fitness. Not everyone can join a gym or buy weights, but everyone can go out for a walk, take the stairs, and other cardiovascular exercises. Form matters much more in strength training to prevent injury, not everyone can develop good form without a trainer.
    I think instead of criticizing people who are focused on one over the other people should understand that everyone's abilities and resources are different and anything that leads to weight loss and healthier lifestyle should be applauded.

Perfect answer !

My only question is- your heart is a muscle right? How do you strengthen your heart muscle?
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Because I care about more than just changes I can see in the mirror. Things like cardiovascular health and such.

People who lose weight through resistance training alone may get the body they want, and they may be able to look into the mirror and see something they're happy with, but they will never reap the health benefits that come with introducing cardiovascular exercise into their regimen.
  • rubberbiscuit
    Options
    One size doesn't fit all. Some of us have physical limitations which would make weight lifting difficult or even dangerous. I have shoulder and neck pain, hip pain (both hips), and a belly button hernia. There are a lot of weight bearing exercises which I avoid because of the potential for injury. Cardio on the other hand seems to help with my limitations and gives me better mobility. I find it very enjoyable to go for a walk or pop in a DVD. And, I enjoy how I feel after a really great cardio workout.
  • sadyel
    sadyel Posts: 250
    Options
    Why does it have to be an either/or question? Strength training and lifting improves metabolism long term as muscle is more thermogenic than fat. Strength training and lifting also improve bone density. Cardiovascular improves heart function, hence the reason it is called Cardiovascular. Cardio=heart in latin, vascular=veins. Improved heart function improves lung function and endurance.
    Sure, you can lose weight doing just one or the other, but then you miss out on other health benefits. Just like we focus on balanced nutrition we should also focus on balanced fitness. Not everyone can join a gym or buy weights, but everyone can go out for a walk, take the stairs, and other cardiovascular exercises. Form matters much more in strength training to prevent injury, not everyone can develop good form without a trainer.
    I think instead of criticizing people who are focused on one over the other people should understand that everyone's abilities and resources are different and anything that leads to weight loss and healthier lifestyle should be applauded.

I think this comment should be applauded.

**applauds**
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    waste of time? you have to create a deficit somehow to lose weight and for me slashing my calories is a NO NO!
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    cardio is for your heart....lifting is for looking good naked...WORD!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    You know what else is pointless?

A blunt pencil.

Stupid pencils...
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

unless you are in a sport that requires aerobic fitness, then yeah there is a point

BINGO, Or if you just enjoy it. Personally I get way more out of my lifting sessions when I do a twenty minute jog beforehand.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    why use all your energy tying to create a deficit in your body to lose weight? why not just channel that energy to muscle development.

and before anyone gets butt hurt, i kayak and cycle every weekend.

unless you are in a sport that requires aerobic fitness, then yeah there is a point, but other then that just a waste of time.

100% agree. For anyone who is interested google "chronic cardio" and you can learn about the effects of too much cardio.
    I even have a scientific clinical study that shows what a lifetime of running and marathons does to the heart. Not good. (and the hearts swells up after a marathon and can take about 3 months to go back to normal).

People seem to forget that the heart is a muscle. You can overwork and strain a muscle. You can pull a muscle. Any muscle that you overwork has the potential to bonk out - certainly don't want the heart bonking out. Once or twice a week I do about 25 mintues on the treadmill. For 30 seconds every 4 minutes I run full speed. I get my heart rate back to normal then I do it again. This does just as much - if not more - for your cardiovascular system without drenching the body in cortisol.

People also don't realize that exercise is stress on the body. You are breaking the body down. Gains happen during recovery, not during the exericse.
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    "People in masks cannot be trusted."

But I hear they are quite comfortable.