cardio is pointless in my opinion

Options
1101112131416»

Replies

• wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    doing anything thats not sitting on your butt is pretty fab.

minus like shooting up or shooting ppl.
    normal stuff, legal-ish.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    tell that to my heart, my cholesterol levels, and my mental well-being

Totally agree! I do cardio for the endorphins more than anything else! There's a lot of reasons to do cardio besides losing weight.

I also need the speed and better breathing for that occasional game of pickup soccer or a afternoon hike or whatever.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Prepare for a statement that will blow your mind:

Strength training IS cardio.

tumblr_mbt2j3YlfC1ry4xc9.gif
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

and for the guy that said arnold looks bad, please take a look at your self in the mirror and repeat what you just said.

Better yet, take a look at some of the sexy men on MFP and realize that there while fat is not sexy, neither is way too many muscles.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options

and for the guy that said arnold looks bad, please take a look at your self in the mirror and repeat what you just said.

Better yet, take a look at some of the sexy men on MFP and realize that there while fat is not sexy, neither is way too many muscles.

I believe all us men have the same # of muscles...
  • AnnaMC1977
    Options
    The problem I have with weights and all is that MFP doesn't havea calorie burn for it. For instance, if you do 50 burpees (sp), dead lifts, shoulder presses, ect...it doesn't tell you how many calories you've burned. And there is no way to input it, so if you've worked out and want to factor that into your caloric intake for the day (more food), you just can't. So then your diary doesn't reflect your 'net calories'.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I enjoy running you enjoy lifting I dont find lifting pointless I see the benefits I just hate it but cardio is far from pointless it has plenty of benefits besides out running zombies. For running I go for a run everyday at work for my lunch hour easy out easy in put on my shorts pair of shoes no extra equipment needed no going to gym I burn about 1000 cal on my daily runs. That is far from pointless. Get my endorphines up and running and I feel great.
  • liittlesparrow
    liittlesparrow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Seems as the OP just wanted to stir the pot.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options

orly.jpg
  • CincinnatiDEIFan
    CincinnatiDEIFan Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    The problem I have with weights and all is that MFP doesn't havea calorie burn for it. For instance, if you do 50 burpees (sp), dead lifts, shoulder presses, ect...it doesn't tell you how many calories you've burned. And there is no way to input it, so if you've worked out and want to factor that into your caloric intake for the day (more food), you just can't. So then your diary doesn't reflect your 'net calories'.

I add strenght training under cardio and put in the minutes there. Is this not the correct way to do this?

Thanks!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

I believe all us men have the same # of muscles...

Mind is blown again! :laugh:

I definitely worded that wrong.:blushing:
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options

I add strenght training under cardio and put in the minutes there. Is this not the correct way to do this?

Thanks!

I wouldn't log strength training under cardio unless your heart is actually pumping. You could calibrate it by seeing how much your heart pumps at a certain rate of cardio (say walking a 15 minute mile, jogging a 12 minute mile, running a 7 minute mile) then check your hearate during strength session to see what it's closest to. I would not equate 5 minutes lifting 5 lbs with 5 minutes jogging. I might rate 2 minutes of burpees with 2 minutes sprinting though.
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options

orly.jpg

love

that

pic
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Thanks!

I wouldn't log strength training under cardio unless your heart is actually pumping. You could calibrate it by seeing how much your heart pumps at a certain rate of cardio (say walking a 15 minute mile, jogging a 12 minute mile, running a 7 minute mile) then check your hearate during strength session to see what it's closest to. I would not equate 5 minutes lifting 5 lbs with 5 minutes jogging. I might rate 2 minutes of burpees with 2 minutes sprinting though.

I nearly always log my strength training under both. I think the calorie burn can't be too far off or else it would be evident in my progress in weight loss.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Please provide medical studies that show that cardio is pointless and that it has no health benefits.

Don't worry. I'll wait.
    You'll be waiting a long time. I don't understand why there is so much insecurity expressed by weight lifters. I've yet to see a thread saying "weight-lifting is pointless" from a marathon runner.

Compensatory strategies?
    A bit like having a *REALLY* big bike... ?
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Please provide medical studies that show that cardio is pointless and that it has no health benefits.

Don't worry. I'll wait.
    You'll be waiting a long time. I don't understand why there is so much insecurity expressed by weight lifters. I've yet to see a thread saying "weight-lifting is pointless" from a marathon runner.

Compensatory strategies?

OM goodness - you did make me laugh! I'm going out tomorrow morning for some CARDIO - three hours bike ride with a bunch of great people.

I do bodyweight exercises as well to maintain strength but I don't feel the need to pump iron really. Each to their own.
  • furenaef
    furenaef Posts: 157 Member
    Options

Don't worry. I'll wait.

Compensatory strategies?

OM goodness - you did make me laugh! I'm going out tomorrow morning for some CARDIO - three hours bike ride with a bunch of great people.

I do bodyweight exercises as well to maintain strength but I don't feel the need to pump iron really. Each to their own.

lmaooo, not sure if you guys know how to read, so much fail in this thread it sad, . maybe you guys should learn how to read before getting butt hurt. OP wasnt about "studies" it was about who looks better, a person doing only cardio vs a person that only did weight lifting. (with a good diet implied). And lets be honest, insecurity could also lead people to do cardio, not just weights, so your arguments are already invalid.

sisko-facepalm-300x242.jpg

oh and lulzzz "studies to see who is better in health with cardio vs weights", implying diet has nothing to do with health, only "cardio"

and lol if you say a person that does "cardio" looks better,
    brb cardio only works out legs and "core" if you still believe that bs from shake weight commercials
    brb getting an shoulders and and back from "cardio"
    brb have you looked @ a Kenyan runner with their singlets on? please tell you you find that sexually attractive,

brb brb