THE SKINNY RULES!

Replies

• HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member

8) Learn to read food labels so you know what you are eating.
    Does anyone really not know how to read a label? :huh:

I love the misplaced faith in humanity.
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    So very true, especially home cooking. I remember when I was first married and had a little guy at home, I'd cook at home most of the time. I was thin and had no issues.

Now, being 48, I'm 20 lbs more and am faced with making adjustments to my lifestyle/diet in order not to creep up in weight.
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Potatoes eaten with the skin are just LOADED with potassium. Getting the sodium/potassium balance correct is important to your blood pressure and proper muscle function.

People need to stop hating on potatoes! Boiled or baked with butter and salt, and maybe even a bit of sour cream, and they are awesome. But um. Peeled, cut into non potato resembling sticks and deep fried into submission, well, the potato loses it's luster. Just another example of how over processing has taken something that we should view as healthy and turned it into a junk food in everyone's mind.
  • LeelaLosing
    LeelaLosing Posts: 237 Member
    Most of these are the kind of restrictive, fad stuff that sells books and TV shows but does not support people learning for themselves what works for them....

Some are based on science and good while other are opinions and in the end everyone is different. What is a good long-term strategy for some is not for others.

I found a pin of Bob Harper’s 20 “skinny rules.”

The Skinny Rules

1) Drink a large glass of water before every meal - no excuses.

YES 2) Don't drink your calories.

OFTEN 3) Eat protein at every meal or stay hungry and grouchy.

GOOD IDEA 4) Slash your intake of refined flours and grains.

YES - keeps you full and suggested to avoid colon cancer too 5) Eat 30 to 50 grams of fiber a day.

GOOD IDEA 6) Eat apples and berries every single day. Every single day. Single day!

NO SCIENCE TO THIS! 7) No carbs after lunch.

YES 8) Learn to read food labels so you know what you are eating.

HELPFUL YES 9) Stop guessing about portion size and get it right - for good.

IF YOU CAN 10) No more added sweeteners, including artificial ones.

NO SCIENCE TO THIS, WHAT HAPPENED TO MODERATION 11) Get rid of those white potatoes.

GOOD IDEA 12) Make one day a week meatless.

GOOD IDEA BUT AGAIN MODERATION 13) Get rid of fast foods and fried foods.

GOOD IDEA IF IT WORKS FOR YOU 14) Eat a REAL breakfast.

GOOD IDEA IF IT WORKS FOR YOU 15) Make your own food and eat at least ten meals a week from home

NO SCIENCE, ONLY 50% of POPULATION IS AFFECTED BY SALT-HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE 16) Banish high-salt foods.

YES 17) Eat your veggies - JUST DO IT!

GOOD IDEA IF IT WORKS FOR YOU 18) Go to bed hungry!!!

GOOD IDEA IF YOU CAN 19) Sleep right.

PERSONAL WHAT WORKS FOR YOU TO STAY ON TRACK AND NOT RESTRICT 20) Plan one splurge meal a week if you must. .
  • jensan37
    jensan37 Posts: 151 Member
    Bump
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Not attacking you - these are not your 'rules' - but most of these are not necessary for weight loss, especially if you are logging your food.

My rules:

Rule 1: Eat at a reasonable calorie deficit with mostly nutritious foods
    Rule 2: Hit your macros for body composition (protein) and health (fats) reasons
    Rule 3: Strength train
    Rule 4: Sleep
    Rule 5: Eat ice-cream every night

Sara, once again, for the win.

Mine are:

1) Enjoy the activities you do, have fun - they should carry you forward in life and in health.
    2) Eat, eat well, eat often, eat things you deam as good - and maintain a small and reasonable calorie deficit for weight loss.
    3) Strength train for body composition - do things outside because the world is vast and challenging and your oyster
    4) See 1) and 2) which for me means eat chocolate, ice cream, pate and yummy stuff. Did I mention chocolate?
    5) Evaluate yourself, measure things and know what small changes will do to the system. Stay in control even when you let go.
    6) Sleep, recuperate, take pauses, use downtime in all things.

I'll add one because while it isn't as apparently important as the others it will have long term impact -
    7) protect your micros - you might not know how much or how well you need those small amounts of vitamins and minerals - so get them.
  • Susantuti
    Susantuti Posts: 168 Member
    I don't agree with half of these. There is only one "skinny rule"

1. Don't eat more calories than your body uses throughout the day.

Yes, I agree BUT If I don't do #2, 3, 4, 8, especially 9, 13, 14, 15, 17 and 19 then I am going to "eat more calories than my body uses throughout the day". True, I can lose weight eating twinkies as long as I don't go over my calories but I'm going to be really cranky and hungry.
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    I think a lot of these fall into place with a healthy lifestyle. I still have a carb with dinner, but not a white one. For someone who needs a place to start, taking one of these rules at a time would be a great starting point.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    For someone who needs a place to start, taking one of these rules at a time would be a great starting point.

No. If you need a place to start:

1) Eat at a constant calorie level, reduce until yo uget a small and reasonable deficit. Continue. Learn more.

Many of those "rules" are rot for being "skinny".
  • ctalimenti
    Stop getting your panties in a knot over this. They are only strategies for people to lose weight. There's reasons people gain in the first place and this guy is only putting forth some useful strategies to use.
  • aftergypsies
    aftergypsies Posts: 248 Member
    Rofl snort. I refuse to give up potatoes. NEFFER!! This list sounds like a recipe for disaster. I mean, basically restrict yourself til you eventually lose it and binge.
  • I'm a big Bob fan so I was so excited to read this book. I like his thoughts overall but like everyone else, I can't shake the no carbs after lunch!
  • Susantuti
    I think a lot of these fall into place with a healthy lifestyle. I still have a carb with dinner, but not a white one. For someone who needs a place to start, taking one of these rules at a time would be a great starting point.

I agree, I'm sure most of the people on here who are healthy and fit probably already do most of these, maybe they're not calling them rules or punishing themselves over one they might not do but like you said these fall into place with a healthy lifestyle. And definitely for someone starting out who may not know any better or where to start, trying some of these may be a good thing. I think we're a little touchy about the word "rule" lol, how about ideas, tips... Anyway, thought I should mention I don't follow all of these either.
  • Susantuti
    Stop getting your panties in a knot over this. They are only strategies for people to lose weight. There's reasons people gain in the first place and this guy is only putting forth some useful strategies to use.

"Strategies" , well said!
  • freindsofmine
    freindsofmine Posts: 123 Member
    I think there good ideas ,,,,,,
  • ctalimenti
    My issue with potatoes is that they are very tasteless unless you dress them up with condiments. That is where you really get the calories. I stay away from them as much as I can. I now eat butternut squash or spaghetti squash. More bang for the buck.

I am at a point in life (48) where the weight started creeping on and I had to take charge. I also drink 40 cal almond milk and canola butter. I'm fighting back now instead of letting the pounds creep on.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    I love lists like this because anyone can find a couple new ideas that they haven't experimented with. not everything works for everyone, but everyone can find something that works!
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 36,605 Member
    bump! I need to check this out for sure!
  • ctalimenti
    I love lists like this because anyone can find a couple new ideas that they haven't experimented with. not everything works for everyone, but everyone can find something that works!

I totally agree and many of us are probably already doing them (to a degree).

You have a very bright outlook!

:)
  • PicklePlum
    PicklePlum Posts: 192 Member
    My biggest offenders are eating carbs after lunch and eating white rice.