Gender Specific Toys...

Options

Replies

• _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    The point is is he's the father, regardless of wether his POV is "hip" it doesn't matter.

Simply negating your spouse is one of the most unhealthy lessons that you can teach.

*clap clap*

Husband's opinion should not be dismissed just because it's silly. Nor should wife's opinion be dismissed if wife is sharing a silly opinion.

Be respectful to your spouse. Choose a gift you BOTH can agree on.
    The kid wants a kitchen...not a gun. Sometimes you have to overcome the stupidity of your spouse.
  • lour441
    lour441 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    912249739_640.jpg

Hours of entertainment right here.
  • bricktowngal
    Options
    A kitchen is gender friendly everyone has one and needs one and some of our greatest chefs are men. Get him it!
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options

And wouldn't he be negating her since she wants to get her son the toy?

Your argument is invalid. Please try again.

LOL @ Invalid.

This is called being a good spouse, you sit down and come up with a decision that you both can live with. Are there only 2 toys in the store? A kitchen set and a mini-navy seal kit?

There are plenty of instances when a child may want a toy that the wife find objectionable, a lot of people won't let their kids play with toy guns. Should their spouse blow that off simply because junior likes it?

No, they find a compromise.

Showing respect for your spouse is a far healthier (and longer lasting) lesson than than any toy.
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    912249739_640.jpg

I see 2 future hair dressers.
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    When my son was 3, he wanted a 'baby'

I bought him a doll, and a stroller, and some other things to go with it

He is now a 6" 1" brawn football player

He played with it for a few months, and then moved on to other things

Your husband is being silly.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    The point is is he's the father, regardless of wether his POV is "hip" it doesn't matter.

Simply negating your spouse is one of the most unhealthy lessons that you can teach.

*clap clap*

Husband's opinion should not be dismissed just because it's silly. Nor should wife's opinion be dismissed if wife is sharing a silly opinion.

Be respectful to your spouse. Choose a gift you BOTH can agree on.
    The kid wants a kitchen...not a gun. Sometimes you have to overcome the stupidity of your spouse.

Sure. Sure. Starts with dismissing his thoughts on toys and ends with dismissing his feelings on military school. *shrug*

I think the small slights build up to bigger slights but that's just my opinion. :P
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    [/quote]"The kid wants a kitchen...not a gun. Sometimes you have to overcome the stupidity of your spouse."
    [/quote]

Exactly, that is why I never even said anything when I bought the doll, lol,

Maybe you should have just done your Christmas shopping and not even said anything....
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    So you feel the need to force your opinion down someone else's throat just because their opinion doesn't fit into your personal ideals?

Yes, this is a public forum, so I felt I could voice my opinion. Not sure how I "forced it down someone else's throat".
  • darisey
    darisey Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Come on, guys, everyone knows that only WOMEN belong in the kitchen!!! Girls should be taught young to make little boys sandwiches and stay in the kitchen with pretend babies.

Why should men ever need to practice cooking or caring for babies? Oh wait, this isn't the 1950's?
  • lour441
    lour441 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    912249739_640.jpg

I see 2 future hair dressers.

I bought that for my daughters. It is sitting in my basement. A Wii or an XBox will get more use.
  • codapea
    codapea Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    My daughter loves the play kitchen at grandmas house, and at preschool, but she never plays with the one at home. She just pulls everything out onto the floor and walks away. It's really only fun when they have someone to play kitchen with all the time. It takes up a lot of space in her room and, like I said, all the food and dishes are constantly spread throughout the house and yard.

So, on that note... a GREAT gift for a 3 year old is a Leapster Explorer or a LeapPad. Those thing are awesome! They teach reading, writing, math, science, art, etc. We got one for my daughte for Christmas last year when she was 3. It has kept her so entertained and now that she is in school she likes to correlate what she is learning in class with games that practice similar skills on her Leapster. There is a really fun food prep and cooking game that teaches basic math that you can get for it, too!
  • wewon
    Options
    Come on, guys, everyone knows that only WOMEN belong in the kitchen!!! Girls should be taught young to make little boys sandwiches and stay in the kitchen with pretend babies.

Why should men ever need to practice cooking or caring for babies? Oh wait, this isn't the 1950's?

LOL!
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    My son had a kitchen when he was about 3 to 4 years old it was brown. He used to watch cooking shows with me with male chefs ex. Emeril Lagasse & Alton Brown.... We got him metal pots & pans, fake food and a chef's hat. He loved it!

He's 10 now and is into Halo4, Black Ops II and plays hockey. Kids need to be kids while they can.
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    A kitchen takes up a huge part of the christmas budget (at least in my family) and maybe your hubs is concerned that it won't get enough play to justify all the toys you would not be able to get... You have to admit that fast cars are more exciting than coffee pots!

Maybe you could compromise by skipping it as a christmas gift, and buying a used one at a garage sale or consignment store to give him in the spring.

A great gift that my son loved from 3-6 is the Fisher-Price Imaginext sets. They cost a little less than a kitchen and still incorporate the imaginative play that you want to foster.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    My kids are almost grown now, but all I remember was the utter embarrassment of toys they had. TOYS to the ceiling: unloved and unplayed with after a day. I married into a family whose major 'love language' was gifts, and they bought randomly, and often, just to make sure there were plenty of boxes to unwrap at special occasions.

We had a hunk of plastic that was a play-kitchen. It took up half a room. If I had it to do over again, I would buy safe, high quality Montessori tools and put them to work cutting up their own snacks. Get your son a nice chef-apron, a special knife, and real food. Your time in supervising this activity will be rewarded many times over by the time he's 21.

I hate toys for toys sake. Resources are limited. Today's newfangled toy is a hunk of plastic at the junk yard when you throw it out in days, months, maybe years. It's still sitting there 500 years from now. Yes, we want to shower our kids with love. Yes, we want them to have possessions which they love. But thoughtfully selecting a gift or two of special significance is the way to go. Discuss this with your husband, and collaborate on specific ideas tailored to your son's unique interests. This may call you to set aside your own blasts from the past, but I urge you to try--for your son, yourselves, and the planet.

Edit: Examples of pre-school kitchen tools: http://www.forsmallhands.com/kitchen/preparing-food
  • dkrieser
    dkrieser Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I think it shouldn't matter and agree with you it is not just for girls, but you could get the barbque one, it is really cute. Maybe it would make your husband not protest so much. :)
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Showing respect for your spouse is a far healthier (and longer lasting) lesson than than any toy.

Why respect and inherently unhealthy and un-respectable position? Simply because she married him?

That father sounds like a douche canoe to me.
  • wewon
    Options

Why respect and inherently unhealthy and un-respectable position? Simply because she married him?

Why marry someone you don't respect?

Or are you saying that you should only treat them with respect when they agree with you?
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options

Because she chose him to be her life partner. She doesn't get to dismiss his thoughts and ideas just because she doesn't agree with them.

She agreed to take his thoughts and ideas into account when she married him. That also means she's going to have to learn to compromise, as will he.