What is the one thing you gave up to lose weight (if any)?

Options
Guamybear
Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
For me it wasn't food.. but I quit drinking.. I only went out once a week but when I drink I can't eat anything so the next day I would be famished and eat everything in sight..

Replies

• glitterjam
    glitterjam Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have decided not to partake of:

Restaurant Pizza
    Butter
    Pop

Everything else can be taken in small amounts!
  • HazenAllen
    HazenAllen Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Eliminated fast food for the most part.
  • SashThompson
    SashThompson Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten fast food in two years :happy: I used to eat it almost every night!
  • jesamed
    Options
    Soda, fruit juices of all kinds, and any drink with sugar
  • Grizzly_Mike
    Options
    Sugar! soda, candy, monster, I try to cut out all unnecessary sugars
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Soda, most fast food, and anything that has trans fat in it! The happy side effect that I didn't expect was that as I've gotten healthier I've started to get a natural aversion to these things!
  • maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I haven't given up anything, but I did cut way back on soda. I used to have 3-4 cans every day. Now I might have 1 or 2 a week. I did go cold turkey on it for a few months, but once I got to the point where I didn't crave it all the time, I found I could have it occasionally without worrying about going back to drinking it constantly. I really believe that there should be no forbidden foods. But I also believe that you should do what works for you.
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten fast food in two years :happy: I used to eat it almost every night!

Same for me! Almost daily at one point.
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    nothing.. I still eat everything I used to in moderation.
  • NaturallyOlivia
    NaturallyOlivia Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    peanut butter, junk food, almost all meat. BAKED GOODS! some days i dream about red velvet cake. no lie. it's pathetic. :sad:
  • quietcoral
    quietcoral Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    The only thing I've ever given up (a really long time ago) is calorie ridden drinks. I never drink my calories!
  • tdbad1
    tdbad1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    cant say ive given up anything, except the eating for 4 part.

Mainly im controling how much i eat. as i feel better, and loose weight i just naturally go for the healthier foods. Somehow my taste buds want spinach instead of McD's. doesnt' mean i won't have "junk" once in a while. just means i will have it in moderation.
  • anybeary
    anybeary Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Alcohol. Dropped like 15 pounds over night, and I wasn't even a heavy drinker. I had maybe 3-4 beers a week. That was enough to sabotage all my work-out efforts with empty calories and a sluggish metabolism.
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I would eat lots of cookies, m&m's, chocolate bars,peanuts (lots),every night....like a snack. and Coke!

I don't eat or drink any of these anymore.... well, some dark chocolate a little but not much.
  • Moosycakes
    Moosycakes Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Dessert.

To be honest, I didn't give that up to lose weight, I just can't fit it in.
    My family usually has an evening meal around 200-300 calories, and a dessert (probably around 150-200 calories).
    For the last three years, I've been so full after dinner that I can' fit in any dessert! :)
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    Wow.. I couldn't give up half of what I read.. I never was a soda drinker so I only really have that if I eat out..

Give up meat?? No way!! or cake?? I think I would end up binging in the long run.. I don't eat sweets a lot but when I do get my sweet tooth, I want to satisfy it with something good and yummy... that is bad for you..hahaha...
  • Angylgrrl
    Angylgrrl Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Instant gratification. Yes, sometimes it feels wonderful to get exactly what you want or think you want (a second serving of something, lots of pasta, ice cream, chocolate- all the delicious stuff!), but I find that by not instantly trying to squelch a craving, sometimes it subsides or I can think of a better and almost equally satisfying alternative. I still have days when I go over calories, or meals that are way outside of my goals, or even just days when I don't eat as healthy as I should for certain means (tonight's dinner is a perfect example of that), but I try to make sure they even out so that I stay under my weekly calorie allotment.

Cheers! :smile:
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I (almost entirely, eat very occasionally) cereal.
    Used to eat it all the time....ALL THE TIME
    now - maybe MAYBE a couple times a month
  • CyclingAddict
    Options
    Red meat
    Fried food
    Sweets
    Soda
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Soda, but that's more a remnant of my first weight loss attempt way back in the day when I was 13.

I was really fat as a kid, so when I was 13 I decided I'd had enough of it so I stopped drinking soda (which was literally the only beverage I drank), stopped eating fried food, and scaled back my portion size. After I stopped dieting as strictly, I found soda just made me feel sick. Now I do drink soda, but usually I'll just have a sip so I can enjoy the taste. I do use it in mixed drinks as well, but I prefer fruit juices, and these days I usually just drink wine.