What is the one thing you gave up to lose weight (if any)?

Options

Replies

• Destanie_Robyn
    Destanie_Robyn Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I haven't fully given up any particular food - every thing in moderation! - but I am pretty hard press to drink alcoholic or high cal coffee blended drinks ... I usually can't justify the empty calories... but I will make exceptions for special occasions! Food wise I stopped keeping ice cream in the house... but every now and again I'll have low fat ice cream :)
  • xoRein13
    Options
    Prior to starting to really go at losing weight; I drank TONS of Cream Soda. Its now been almost two years since I've touched the stuff. xD (Cut out all soda as well, not just my love of Cream Soda. Oh how I miss thee!)
  • hungrypotato
    hungrypotato Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Stopped eating fries
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I don't think I really gave up anything when I set out to lose weight this time. However, over the years (whilst getting fatter!), I've either given up or drastically cut down on the following:

Cream cakes (honestly, I used to love cream cakes when I was slim - used to eat them regularly).
    Non-diet fizzy drinks
    Fruit juice
    Pastry
    Full fat milk
    Butter (actually, I regularly use a tiny bit, but I don't slather it on bread any more .... sadly)

There are probably a lot more. I have tried in the past to lose weight just by cutting out higher fat foods (cottage cheese instead of normal cheese, skimmed milk instead of full-fat, etc.) and it didn't work. At the moment, I'm concentrating on having very small portions of things. It's funny how ingrained some of the things have become, though. It feels odd to drink fruit juice (I always felt I should eat the fruit instead).
  • tdfarmer
    tdfarmer Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Soft drink, sweets(cakes, ice cream), chips, till I hit goal and slowly started adding back in, till my annual doctor visit, now cutting allot more carbs.
  • Kitkat_58
    Kitkat_58 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    PEPSI!!!!
    Sugar
    Fried food
    Fast Food
    Sweet Tea
  • cheexy85
    cheexy85 Posts: 119
    Options
    I gave up laziness. :noway: :sad: I still eat everything I used to eat but in moderation and a bit more gym work.:bigsmile: :blushing:
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Any entree that approach or exceed a full day's DV of sodium!

If you look at the NI menu for any major chain (e.g. Chili's, TGI Friday's, etc.) I used to eat out for lunch 2-3 days per week at a sit-down restaurant by not anymore! I can always 'earn' some extra calories/fat via exercise to allow for hi-cal entrees/treats, but I can't do the same for sodium.
    The last time I splurged and didn't care about sodium was on a biz-trip in September. Every biz-trip I made it a habit to go to one place that I've seen on TV (Man vs. Food, 'Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives', etc.). Last trip was 3 days, so ate properly on 1st 2 days so I could go on 3rd day to a place I saw on MVF. Ordered a ton of food and ate it across 3 meals. I gained 5 lbs from that one day due to sodium (water retention). It took me more than 2 weeks to drop that weight! Food was exceptional, but not worth a 2-week setback. Next time will just order a sandwich or single small entree.
    2-3 times a year I go to a Chinese buffet; hell, there's one less than 2 miles from my house. I'm kinda scared to go again, but I think I can do it the right way this time. Same with Golden Corral, but at least their NI is available online.
  • LadyVeng3ance
    LadyVeng3ance Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Coca Cola!
    I used to be addicted, but I quit it completely!
  • rubyjune27
    rubyjune27 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Alcohol and chocolate 5 years ago. Other than that I only eat chips and crisps and full fat cheese if I am away on holiday, so that is maybe 4/5 times a year, but I do indulge and enjoy then.
  • Ellyabell
    Ellyabell Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Right now? Cereal, pretty much all sweets, most dairy, fast food most of the time and if I eat it only in very small amounts. I don't drink alkohol or soda, so thas just didn't change. I gave up drinking diet coke, not for weight loss reason, but is was easier to cut it out together with the real sugar. I also use a lot less oil. I used to fry vegetable a lot, using good olive oil. I still do, but less so.

In the long run I will try to eat everything in moderation, at the moment it is easier the way it is.
  • skcoyote
    Options
    When I realized I was drinking my BMR in soda, I quit cold turkey.

Soon after, I had a nice visit in the emergency room for dehydration. It's a myth, people: those IV drips just don't taste the same as regular soda.
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I gave up my dysfunctional relationship with food! I had to teach myself how to have healthy eating habits and how to not have an obsessive, compulsive or avoidant relationship with food, any food. So, I am now able to proudly say there are no foods/beverages that are off limits to me... Just how much i eat at one time... Of course, the more I begin to see the simple accounting, that calories in have to be less than calories out, i enjoy making healthier, conscious choices. i now make decisions of what to eat to nourish my body and am no longer eating based on impulse, feelings and emotions...
  • zoukeira
    zoukeira Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I gave up acting like a fat person. Started to behave like a thin one instead.
  • LilacSnow
    LilacSnow Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    croutons. one serving of those tasty little bad boys (literally 6 small croutons) is like 50 calories. i used to dump those things in a salad.. now they're just not worth it for what you get.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    My relationships, education, everything. Trying to get that all back now.
  • lawre028
    lawre028 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    The one thing I gave up completely to lose weight, and has really worked for me is EXCUSES. Once you quit those the weight comes off.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I am trying for healthier and to lose weight
    I have exchanged 2% milk for 30 calorie almond milk. I stopped drinking juice and mostly diet soda. I only have 1 cup of low fat icecream about once a month instead of a big bowl whenever I want. I stopped eating all the treats at work. I stopped buying fast food except on the rare occasion that there is no other option (I normally pack a snack or something to eat if I know I will be out). I have given up chinese food. Maybe others...
  • Tymtrvlr
    Options
    I agree with those who say nothing is taboo if its taken in moderation. We all have our occasional cravings! I have noticed that since I am logging calories, I tend to look towards healthier choices that will fill me up (I'd rather have a big salad with 3 oz. of chicken for lunch, knowing it will free up calories for later in case I feel like a grilled cheese or some pasta (opting for the healthier, low calorie options). Except for Subway, I don't waste my money & calories on "greasy" fast food (one sausage biscuit=6" sub?) . I keep dark chocolate in the freezer (slow melting=longer lasting), and spend a day cooking and then freezing food for quick warm ups on crazy days! Make things like pizza and ice cream a RARE treat..and make sure to have enough friends to share so there aren't any leftovers!
  • peanutbutterpretzels
    Options
    Juice!
    Now the only juice I drink is sugar free ribena usually :) I don't mind juice so much, but I find that now whenever I drink it I get horrible stomach cramps. No clue why though.