What is the one thing you gave up to lose weight (if any)?

Options

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Sleeping in! :bigsmile: I have to get my workout done first thing, before the rest of my family is up, or it doesn't get done.

I've changed my eating habits too, but haven't given up anything that I can think of as far as food or drink. I have changed my eating habits, and pay attention to how many calories, protein, etc, but I still enjoy pretty much everything - pizza, burgers, desserts, alcohol, chips, lattes - I just fit them into my daily goals (most of the time). :tongue:
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    My bank account, to my gym :laugh:

I don't have a steady/great income right now, and my gym membership isn't cheap ($62/mo) but I need it so it's totally worth it. Home/outdoor workouts are great for some people, but just don't work for me. I need to be in a different, fitness environment to get in the zone.
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Sugar! soda, candy, monster, I try to cut out all unnecessary sugars

This. I'll have dessert on occasion, but not often.
  • bbgughj
    bbgughj Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Soda and Fast foods .
    I'm NOT giving up the coffee though :)
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I have tried to limit drinking of my calories. Only have beer or wine on VERY special occasions, don't drink soda, try not to have coffee more than once or twice a week (only if it fits my calories). I'd rather eat my calories, and alcohol makes me break out anyway.

Other than that.... there's not really anything I've given up besides fast food (makes me feel sluggish anyway, and I've learned to make my fave at home). I'm all about having the things I love and working them into my plan when I can.
  • Colorfan
    Colorfan Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Bread
    Beer/Alcohol
    Milk
    Candy/Sweets
    Pastries
    Peanut Butter
    Fruit

And "Feeling full to the point of bursting"
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Nothing intentionally, but I do notice I'm eating far less breads and processed foods, because they aren't filling enough or tasty enough to take the calorie hit.

I'm learning to say "no" to far more sweets, and it is a lot less difficult than I imagined. Something about those numbers on the scale are helping me not to obsess over the chocolate bars that are for sale across from the cash register in the grocery store.
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Bread
    Beer/Alcohol
    Milk
    Candy/Sweets
    Pastries
    Peanut Butter
    Fruit

And "Feeling full to the point of bursting"

But............. bread, PB, and fruit are all low-cal and very good for you......

Bread: 2 slices = 130 cal or so
    PB: 1tbsp = 100 cal
    Fruit: All easily under 100 cal

:indifferent:
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I'm NOT giving up the coffee though :)
    Why would ANYONE need to give up coffee? It's like 2 calories a cup... You could wink and burn that off.
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I've given up nothing. I only eat what I want in moderation......to give up something to me is simply weakness.
  • emersonkelly
    Options
    Fast Food
    Sweets
    Cakes
    Chocolates
    Ice creams
  • omegadrh
    Options
    I've given up various things over the years, not specifically with the goal of losing weight, but just being healthier in general (and, in some cases, more frugal):
    1. Desserts/sweets/candy/pastries (since ~2003)
    2. Soda (since ~2007; drank 6+ cans of Mountain Dew per day in my prime)
    3. Deep fried foods (including french fries, non-baked chips) (since ~2008)

I gave up social/recreational drinking (that is, I still allowed myself a glass of wine with a nice dinner) for lent one year, but had no desire to stick with that any longer.

My girlfriend and I also went on the "real foods" regimen for a week, where we didn't eat/drink anything that contained added sugars, artificial ingredients, preservatives, etc, but that was waaaay too much work for me.
  • phatycake
    Options
    jerky carbs, more carbs and more carbs with carbs atopped wth cabs. Some cheese, chocolate, chips and pizza!!
  • agoofynut
    agoofynut Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    chinese buffet...I miss chinese food but I don't trust myself to go into a chinese restaurant.
  • shoelover78
    Options
    Doritos!!!!!

Those are so addicting to me that I can't even taste them!
  • mjhedgehog
    mjhedgehog Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    regular soda. and I don't miss it one bit.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I gave up the idea that I can eat and indulge whenever I feel the whim. It gave me a borderline high blood sugar, elevated triglycerides and terribly malformed body. I still enjoy food - any food - but I will never go to such an extreme again.
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    a&w poutine
  • Rita_Rocker
    Rita_Rocker Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    The Pizza Hut near my house thinks I either died or moved away. Miss my pizza friend!
  • Ghette
    Ghette Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I gave up time with my family so I can focus on me. I also gave up sugar.