Whats the one thing that set you off to want to lose weight?

Options
I know a lot of us have gone through that moment where we decided enough is enough and it is time to do something about our bodies.

For me, it was going out with my girlfriends in nyc and being the only one from our group not approached by a man that night. I was left alone at the bar all night while all my girlfriends were mingling.
I don't think I was not approached because I was unattractive but was because I was unhappy and insecure about myself for being overweight and it showed. Having gorgeous friends did not help my self esteem either lol :)

Replies

• jlwbeans0823
    jlwbeans0823 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My doctor scared me in to thinking I would walk out of the room and die. She overplayed it, but it was still a wake up call. I wish my progress was better, but I can see change...it's just been so slow.
  • UhOhItsKylie
    UhOhItsKylie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I didn't necessarily need to lose weight, but it had been a long time since I had been in the gym and I definitely had more things jiggling than I preferred, lol. I decided enough was enough when I started avoiding getting dressed/undressed in front of my husband. I've never been an insecure person, and it made me feel terrible.
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    My "really big" clothes getting too tight. And wanting to be healthy when we start trying to have kids.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    Besides having PF, a hernia this past year...the doctor told me my blood showed I was borderline pre-diabetic... that did it for me.. She said it was still early enough to reverse it...
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    It was when I realized I was eating enough to satisfy 3-4 people.

One day I ate Mcdonalds AND Burger king for breakfast... then arbys for lunch.. then chinese buffet for dinner.
    I didn't want to die from a heart attack by age 35
  • Tina2Cats
    Tina2Cats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I hit that 200 lb mark on the scale and decided I better do something before I end up weighing 250 or more. :explode: Also my clothes were too tight.
  • allie491
    allie491 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I remember going to lunch with a bunch of my thin friends at work. I caught a glimpse of myself in one of the many mirrors in this place and my face just looked awful, flabby and not like myself at all. I felt so gross, plus my gut constantly felt like it was going to explode out of my pants...LOL
  • Jluvs3clarks
    Options
    I had been telling myself to get serious at the gym for a year or so... was going to an all girl gym that had some circuit and then some classes. I was doing ok, but mainly maintaining. Then my dad, who had diabetes, and heart disease died suddenly. I didn't get a chance to say goodbye to him! He was only 61 years old! The week we got back I went to a new gym that was in the process of being built a mile from my house. I purchased the biggest personal training package that I could! I want to make a lifestyle change... I want to be able to be around for my grand kids and great grand kids, and I won't be if I continue down the route that I was on. A week before the gym was to open I blew out my knee. It was a set back, because I was so motivated to start loosing weight. I have lost a bit of weight, with exercise limitations. I am just now able to start working out without my knee brace. I am really excited! Today is the first day that I was able to do an hour of cardio without my knee hurting! So, what set me off? Love... My dad, he is the catalyst, and my kids are my motivation.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    My doctor scared me in to thinking I would walk out of the room and die. She overplayed it, but it was still a wake up call. I wish my progress was better, but I can see change...it's just been so slow.

^ this. overly melodramatic doctors are not just on TV anymore.

mine insisted that i needed to start high blood pressure meds immediately... OR DIE! i think he thinks he's P Diddy or something. that was 1 year and 85 lbs ago.
  • saltedcaramel86
    saltedcaramel86 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Mine was sort of unintentional. I basically hit just over 11 stone and a UK size 14 was getting way too tight. I've never been that size, was extremely uncomfortable and spent almost a year complaining that I wanted to lose weight, started a diet then gave up a few days later. The cycle went on.

Then I decided to become pesceterian/vegetarian for ethical reasons and started losing weight naturally. I ended up making better/healthier food choices and started losing weight naturally. Went with it and started controlling calories and exercising properly. Lost 21lbs total and just want to tone up now.
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I was really, really tired of feeling like *kitten* about myself
  • stacy_1971
    stacy_1971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    When I realized that my "big girl" clothes were too small and that I needed even bigger clothes was my epiphany.
  • rosesigil
    rosesigil Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I looked terribel in pictures and in the mirror. Also, there's this guy.......well, I'd like him to notice me in a good way.
  • Thick2Fit1991
    Options
    I had one of my good friends, who had a baby around the same time as me... (we were both skinny before children, me size 1 her size 5) and she lost all this weight and gave me her size 9 clothes because she was now a size 3 and I was a 9 :(
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Looking at my bum in the mirror lol, I carry all my weight on my lower half:/
  • AMHouse85
    AMHouse85 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I was really, really tired of feeling like *kitten* about myself

not to mention just feeling like *kitten* all the time too
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Getting stuck in the hospital for 28 days. My weight had gotten so out of control my body was thowing blood clots and one wound up in my left lung and almost killed me.

Granted I had tried .......and failed.........countless times before to lose weight. This time it worked.
  • traceyleighgirl
    traceyleighgirl Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Straight from my bio:
    I was reading over my mom's shoulder while she browsed pinterest. My eyes skimmed over this: "A year from now, you're going to wish you would have started today."

It was shocking. That quote really jolted me. It was true..Every year that passed I just felt more and more miserable, wishing every summer that I had used the winter to lose weight. I've had weight issues for as long as I can remember, so I've spent every weight-conscious year of my life wishing that stupid wish.

It kind of made me feel sick, all the time I wasted wishing and not doing anything. All of my determination came from that damn quote.

The rest was history. The next morning I was ready. About 8 months later and I'm down to 144.0 pounds. I started at almost 180 pounds. Crazy...
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I had a number of wake up calls and had multiple tries to lose weight in the past few years, some of which were successful over the short-term but I always gained it back.

I felt awful most of the time, I hated that I got breathless on exertion, that I had no heat tolerance, that my clothes were ill-fitting, that I looked bad in pictures, all the usual stuff.

This summer, I decided to try a different approach since obviously what I had been trying wasn't working for me. I decided my two biggest problems were mindless eating/grazing and drinking my calories (sweetened coffee drinks). I decided I needed to keep a food diary. Google search brought me to MFP. I decided to follow the guidelines it set for me and religiously log my food for 1 month and if that didn't work, I'd just accept being fat. Lost 9 pounds the first month and it was relatively painless (the one exception being the huge reduction in coffee drinks and the caffeine withdrawal that made me feel fluish for about 10 days).
  • traceyleighgirl
    traceyleighgirl Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    ^^ Omg, I know, no tolerance for heat...Ugh...I work a salesfloor job and I'm on my feet and moving around all day. I used to be soaked in sweat. It was horrible and embarrassing. Now, I almost never do lol...Unless I'm truly running around (which happens occasionally)!