Do you think milk is safe?

Options
I went to a church dinner last night and sat at a table where the discussion was cows milk and how damaging it is. How it possibly causes cancer and should not be consumed by humans. How it's injected with cancer causing hormones. I had never heard any of this. The thing is...I like milk. I'm not intolerant of it and it's a good source of calcium and vitamin D for me (especially in the rainy Pacific NW) But I don't exactly want cancer either. What are your thoughts? Do you think milk is safe? What about cheese? (gosh I love cheese!)

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    I feel milk is fine to drink. People use scare tactics to push their food issues. You're not evil or horrible for drinking milk or eating milk products. Enjoy your cheese.
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    This is a good read on that topic: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2442/is-cows-milk-the-worst-beverage-on-earth

The evidence regarding cancer is very mixed, so it is likely not a huge risk (if it was huge, the evidence would not be so mixed).
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I would ask those claiming such things for peer-reviewed studies proving said claims. In other words, they're probably talking about of their @sses. Soy milk is a good alternative though. I actually prefer soy milk to regular as far as the taste goes.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I practically live on milk and haven't seem any convincing evidence that its not safe. This is one of those areas where psudo-science seems to be getting in the way. There may some issue with the hormones that have been heavily injected into cows since the 90s so my wife and daughters only consume hormone free milk as they are at increased cancer risk (more than twice the price though so I drink regular milk as the alarms are focused on women and particularly girls). That said we do that out of an abundance of caution and I cringe every time we buy it as I feel we could be falling for simple scare tactics. Take a look at junkscience.com.
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
  • zephtalah
    zephtalah Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    What does milk have to do with church? If you're concerned about the hormones put in milk just use organic or hormone free milk. There are much worse foods out there than dairy products.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    great article!
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Of course most people with cancer drink milk. They also eat potatoes, get exposed to sunlight and do any manner of things that could seem to be correlated to a disease but likely aren't. They try to put the blame on certain things but as far as I see things, it's bollocks. My grandfather wasn't much of a milk drinker and he died of stomach cancer in his early 60s.. My grandmother eats a ton of dairy and she's well and kicking at 82.
    We could be scared of bloody everything what with all the different campaigns, studies et cetera floating about.

Edited for a typo.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I feel milk is fine to drink. People use scare tactics to push their food issues. You're not evil or horrible for drinking milk or eating milk products. Enjoy your cheese.

^^^^
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    It is pretty easy to avoid milk with rBGH and whatnot. Here is a consumers guide:

http://www.nwrage.org/files/nwrage/ORPFSR_rbghConsumerGuide.pdf

ETA since you are PACNW, I am Inland Northwest, shop at Fred Meyer. They carry really good brands. Their ground beef is not full of pink slime either.
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Just buy milk that has no added hormones (specifically rBGH) and no antibiotics. Generally organic milk falls into this category. However, KEMP's has a line called "simply" (I think) and they have no rBGH. But do your research and make your own decision. Just make sure when you read research papers that you look at who funded the study.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Milk is not safe. Studies show the cassein is linked to cancer in animals as well as all the other problems. But it's also very difficult to eliminate milk from the diet. I do Soy and Almond milk, but I still have cheese and other dairy occasionally. I suppose that's better than nothing. Want to know who came up with the idea that we should drink milk everyday and give it to our children? Housewives in the 1950s. Milk does NOT do a body good.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Milk is not safe.

Alarmism doesn't do anyone any favors.

EDIT: But of course you have a right to your opinion. I'd love to see studies showing cancerous effects of milk in humans though.

For my fellow research nerds, Alan Aragon has a good write up in the November 08' issue of AARR where he covers milk-bashing.
  • SavageRabidBeast
    SavageRabidBeast Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Honestly, they say everything causes cancer these days so I myself am not gonna worry about it. Love my milk and will continue to drink it.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Yes, milk is safe to drink. Depending on who you talk to just about everything gives you cancer. Most people read something, pass info to a friend, and then it gets passed on again. The accuracy of information gleaned this way isn't the best way to decide what's right for you. There are health advantages to milk and I think the good outweighs the bad. Furthermore, I wouldn't look to the church ladies for my nutrition advice. The biddies at my church serve cake in the fellowship hall just about every Sunday, or at the very least cookies. Even though 75% of the congregation is either obese, diabetic, or both. So just like information on this site, take away what you want and leave the rest. When the church ladies give me nutritional advice or any other advice I just stand there, nod my head, sip my sugar-free watered down Kool-aid, and say "you might be right."
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    We're not designed as a species to drink milk past infancy so I certainly agree it's something our bodies can do without and in some cases it can be harmful to an individual.

However as to whether it's harmful to the human race as a general rule, I personally think we probably shouldn't have dairy products in our diet but then we also shouldn't have any processed foods if we're looking at it in natural evolutionary terms. If it isn't harming YOU personally there are a lot more things out there I would eliminate from your diet before dairy.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    :indifferent:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Think about this logically....Don't you think if this were true, there would have been a lot more sick people in generations past? Those hearty folk that lived by the milkman's deliveries?

Milk is fine, healthy even- full of nutrients. Consider the agendas of those that push this nonsense. Usually it's a vegan scare tactic.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    We're not designed as a species to drink milk past infancy so I certainly agree it's something our bodies can do without and in some cases it can be harmful to an individual.

Yeah... I call shenanigans. Milk is used in Ice cream. taunto needs his ice cream!

Also, taunto uses nmilk in his coffee. Have you seen me without coffee? Our bodies can definitely NOT do without coffee!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Milk is not safe. Studies show the cassein is linked to cancer in animals as well as all the other problems. But it's also very difficult to eliminate milk from the diet. I do Soy and Almond milk, but I still have cheese and other dairy occasionally. I suppose that's better than nothing. Want to know who came up with the idea that we should drink milk everyday and give it to our children? Housewives in the 1950s. Milk does NOT do a body good.

Please cite these studies so we can get past the hyperbole

And btw - milk does MY body good