Do you think milk is safe?

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    http://www.jacn.org/content/19/suppl_2/165S.full

"In general, it can be stated that about two thirds of the world adult population is lactase non-persistent."

The conclusion reads:

"Gastrointestinal symptoms are very common, and milk is quite often put forward as the cause. Several recent well-controlled studies have clearly demonstrated that quite often gastrointestinal symptoms occur independent of lactose intake. This calls for careful diagnosis of both lactose maldigestion and symptoms of intolerance before any dietary restrictions are made. As mentioned above, several authors have called the whole concept of lactose intolerance overrated, because many lactose intolerant subjects seem to be able to consume normal dairy products without marked symptoms. To some individuals lactose intolerance is, however, a true problem. Their symptoms can be reduced by food choices and by low-lactose products. Simple avoidance of dairy products often results in less than recommended intake of calcium and in an increased fracture risk [133].."

ETA: The study sites the one already quoted http://www.jacn.org/content/19/suppl_2/165S.long and http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8042019 as the source of the statement. The latter looks like an interesting read - need to get into the full text to look at it further.

ETA again: I did learned a new word from the study: Borborygmi - a rumbling or gurgling noise that occurs from the movements of fluid and gas in the intestines.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Organic milk is a perfectly good food for those of us with the evolved ability to digest it--only about 30% of the world's population has this ability into adulthood.

Sources...or you could always look at the prior posts and see this is incorrect.

like i've already posted, and which is a known fact- we are the only mammals on earth that drink another animal's milk after infancy. we are not supposed to drink milk, which is why so many people have issues with it. the signs of lactose intolerance don't have to be blunt.

Still not seeing a source to the 30% number.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    in some cases, necessary for a person's nutritional needs.

Never heard of anyone NEEDING cow's milk to fit their nutritional needs. Never.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    in some cases, necessary for a person's nutritional needs.

Never heard of anyone NEEDING cow's milk to fit their nutritional needs. Never.

agreed. I dont think milk is Unsafe, but it is not required by any means. I love milk but if the store quit selling it, I will survive.
  • blondeski
    Options
    Organic milk is a perfectly good food for those of us with the evolved ability to digest it--only about 30% of the world's population has this ability into adulthood.

Sources...or you could always look at the prior posts and see this is incorrect.

like i've already posted, and which is a known fact- we are the only mammals on earth that drink another animal's milk after infancy. we are not supposed to drink milk, which is why so many people have issues with it. the signs of lactose intolerance don't have to be blunt.

source was quoted before your reply.

everyone seems to be getting really bent out of shape over this, but I guess it's because many of us only believe what we see.

humans don't need milk- lots of vegans are alive.
    some human's cannot drink milk- it doesn't agree with them.
    unless it came from our family farm, we don't know what's in it.

if anyone is interested in the studies in cancer related to dairy products, he's an article from Harvard University.

http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2006/12.07/11-dairy.html
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

everyone seems to be getting really bent out of shape over this, but I guess it's because many of us only believe what we see.

if anyone is interested in the studies in cancer related to dairy products, he's an article from Harvard University.

All I am trying to do is get facts correct. Simple as that. Someone provided something that may explain this 30% number being quoted and I am actually looking at it as I noted in my response to that post. That is all I was asking for.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Milk is not a requirement for the diet... but in reality, no food is. The nutrients provided by those foods are what is required and milk happens to be a good source of protein, potassium, and calcium. All of these are things that my body does require.

Milk is not evil. If you think that you are better off without it, then more power to you. But most people in this thread are only here to defend against misinformation.
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options

*phew!*

I can keep drinking my organic skim milk.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

All I am trying to do is get facts correct. Simple as that. Someone provided something that may explain this 30% number being quoted and I am actually looking at it as I noted in my response to that post. That is all I was asking for.

How about you cite a study then instead of telling everyone they're wrong? Don't want a taste of your own medicine?
  • Jaulen
    Options
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/11/091105102718.htm
    Dealing with self-reported lactose intolerance.

http://statisticbrain.com/lactose-intolerance-statistics/ states that
    "Total percentage of people who are lactose intolerant 33%"
    "Total percentage of people who maintain ability to digest lactose after childhood 40%"
    Datea from National Digestive Diseases Information....
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

How about you cite a study then instead of telling everyone they're wrong? Don't want a taste of your own medicine?

Deflecting again. Also - bitter much?

I was not telling the poster anything - just explaining something.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    most things from a nipple work for me
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    If you get hit by a bus tomorrow... it's not going to matter that you abstained from cow's milk because your body doesn't need it.
  • kaylalryan
    kaylalryan Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    The processes that they do the the cow and the milk are unsafe. Always buy organic (yes, it costs more), buy non-homogenized if possible. RAW is best. My opinion.
  • 05HeatherLouise05
    05HeatherLouise05 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Milk.jpg
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    IBTB ^^^
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Milk.jpg

Jealous of the cow . . .
  • Jaulen
    Options
    The processes that they do the the cow and the milk are unsafe. Always buy organic (yes, it costs more), buy non-homogenized if possible. RAW is best. My opinion.

How is homogenized milk bad?
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I feel that milk and milk products are fine to consume, but I try to only eat/drink organic.
  • kaylalryan
    kaylalryan Posts: 136 Member
    Options

How is homogenized milk bad?

The process of homogenizing milk chemical changes the protein and sugar molecules so that they are able to become smaller and suspend in the milk mixture...(therefore not having to shake it!)

I like to put things in my body in the natural form...

http://www.raw-milk-facts.com/homogenization_T3.html

This is just what I believe and have read about over the years... this was an opinion question right?