Do you think milk is safe?

Options

Replies

• blondeski
    Options
    milk in the united states is much more risky than anywhere else. BGH (bovine growth hormone) is allowed in your milk, and that is what you should be concerned about. growth hormones grow things... like tumors. we are the only mammals on earth that drink another animal's milk after infancy so there's already some sketchy stuff about it. if you love milk but are scared, buy organic.
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    we are the only mammals on earth that drink another animal's milk after infancy so there's already some sketchy stuff about it.

We're also the only mammals on earth that plant and harvest vegetables. Sketchy indeed!
  • blondeski
    Options
    Organic milk is a perfectly good food for those of us with the evolved ability to digest it--only about 30% of the world's population has this ability into adulthood.

Sources...or you could always look at the prior posts and see this is incorrect.

like i've already posted, and which is a known fact- we are the only mammals on earth that drink another animal's milk after infancy. we are not supposed to drink milk, which is why so many people have issues with it. the signs of lactose intolerance don't have to be blunt.
  • blondeski
    Options
    we are the only mammals on earth that drink another animal's milk after infancy so there's already some sketchy stuff about it.

We're also the only mammals on earth that plant and harvest vegetables. Sketchy indeed!

touche!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Organic milk is a perfectly good food for those of us with the evolved ability to digest it--only about 30% of the world's population has this ability into adulthood.

Sources...or you could always look at the prior posts and see this is incorrect.

like i've already posted, and which is a known fact- we are the only mammals on earth that drink another animal's milk after infancy. we are not supposed to drink milk, which is why so many people have issues with it. the signs of lactose intolerance don't have to be blunt.
    We're the only ones that drink it because we're the only ones that have worked out how to harvest it.

Most mammal species will drink milk when it is available, at any age.
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    we are not supposed to drink milk

Is that like, in the "things you're supposed to do" handbook?
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    we are not supposed to drink milk

What's the definition of "suppposed to" being used here...
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Milk is not safe. Studies show the cassein is linked to cancer in animals as well as all the other problems. But it's also very difficult to eliminate milk from the diet. I do Soy and Almond milk, but I still have cheese and other dairy occasionally. I suppose that's better than nothing. Want to know who came up with the idea that we should drink milk everyday and give it to our children? Housewives in the 1950s. Milk does NOT do a body good.

Could you be good enough to cite your sources?
  • leeanneowens
    leeanneowens Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    There have always been studies coming out saying that certain foods cause cancer. Then a few years later another study comes out saying the first study was wrong. You'll have to decide for yourself, but I'm going to keep drinking and cooking with milk.
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options

As far as humans being "designed" for anything..yeah...If i recall correctly we began as scavengers...you know like hyenas and such. I think if we can eat and survive on rotting carcasses we can drink milk.

^^^^^^^ this
    :laugh:
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Milk is not safe. Studies show the cassein is linked to cancer in animals as well as all the other problems. But it's also very difficult to eliminate milk from the diet. I do Soy and Almond milk, but I still have cheese and other dairy occasionally. I suppose that's better than nothing. Want to know who came up with the idea that we should drink milk everyday and give it to our children? Housewives in the 1950s. Milk does NOT do a body good.

Could you be good enough to cite your sources?

It's also separating out the cassein from all the other material in milk....

Heck, ingected in large enough quantities, even water will kill you.
  • Jamie571
    Jamie571 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    All of our livestock are injected with hormones and antibiotics. I don't think this is safe, and prefer to drink organic milk, almond milk, or rice milk instead. I wish I could afford organic meats, but not at this point.

Really? Where is your proof?

I certainly dont inject my cows with anything. Infact there are strict regulations on what products i can even use on my cows for the health and wellbeing of my animals. To spray them for flies or even to worm them the products all have withholding periods before you can sell them. I have to sign a declaration at the time of sale that includes any pesticide use, hormones, gm modified feed etc etc. if my cows are found to have any of these things used on them i am banned from selling my animals.

I can tell you from growing up on a farm my families dairy cows are well taken care of. My parents are not allowed to sell milk that has ANY antibiotics in it. They are also not allowed to sell ANY animals that have any antibiotics in them. Milk is one of the most regulated products on the market. Please spare me the retoric about antibiotics in milk.....
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    If you want your food to be 100% safe and be sure of it then grow your own fruits and veggies, raise your own cows/pigs/chickens, churn your own butter etc. I feel like other than that our only option is to trust in the foods at the grocery or market.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Sources for what? My claim that milk is a perfectly good food or my claim that only 30% of adults retain the ability to digest it? Those are straight out of the nutrition text books.

The 30% claim. As I say - check out the actually cited stats.

How about you do it for us since you seem so adamant that its not true? Obviously the authors of her textbook have it cited.

Lolz - you are tooooo funny - you posted a study yourself that showed it not to be true, which by the way, you never got back to me on when I pulled you up on making an incorrect assertion based on it.

Just as I thought, you don't know either.

Nice way to try to deflect but YOU posted a study that shows 33% on this very thread. Or did you conveniently forget that?. Let me remind you:

Lactose Intolerant Statistics
    Total percentage of people who are lactose intolerant 33%

http://www.statisticbrain.com/lactose-intolerance-statistics/
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Sources for what? My claim that milk is a perfectly good food or my claim that only 30% of adults retain the ability to digest it? Those are straight out of the nutrition text books.

The 30% claim. As I say - check out the actually cited stats.

How about you do it for us since you seem so adamant that its not true? Obviously the authors of her textbook have it cited.

Lolz - you are tooooo funny - you posted a study yourself that showed it not to be true, which by the way, you never got back to me on when I pulled you up on making an incorrect assertion based on it.

Have fun calling everyone on the internetz wrong. You must have a fantastic life.

Ignoring the disgruntled snark, I am not calling everyone wrong - I am trying to get support for a claim being made - simple as that.
  • Jamie571
    Jamie571 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    That's a bunch of nonsense. It doesn't cause cancer. However, I work in the agricultural realm, and I have to say that I don't agree with how they handle dairy cattle. To make the farm profitable, they have to milk hundreds of cows per day, sometimes more depending on the size of your workforce. The more animals you have in a confined area the more likely it is to cause disease. Add to this that no dairy operations have NEAR enough pasture, and the cows are standing in FILTH all day, so they load the cows up with antibiotics and they inject them with growth hormone to make them produce more milk.

I don't know what types of farms you have been on but I grew up on a family dairy farm and our cows were not standing in "FILTH" all day. There are lots of tmes growing up that I froze my butt off doing chores to make sure those cows were well fed and in a nice warm clean barn. Please don't make blanket statements about farmers. Sure there are some bad ones out there. There are bad people in every industry. Please don't let a few "bad apples" wreck the image of an industry that provides so much for so many people.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/71/2/600.full

"Surprisingly, one-third of the 29 subjects diagnosed by us as lactose maldigesters had no clinically significant gastrointestinal symptoms for 3 h after ingesting 50 g lactose. At the same time, one-fourth of the 39 lactose digesters experienced clinically significant gastrointestinal symptoms after ingesting the same amount of lactose. However, the gastrointestinal symptoms differed between the lactose maldigesters and the digesters."

(in other words, "lactose intolerant" is a complicated and difficult thing to diagnose)

I'm kind of confused by the point you were trying to make, but this study in itself is ultimately questionable. There is absolutely no way that a sample size of 29 people is representative of the entire adult population. I really need people who want to use studies to support their claims to take a college level statistics course (again not directed specifically at the person quoted because I still have no idea what his standpoint was).
  • tinytasha7
    tinytasha7 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I think, like anything, milk in moderation is fine. In some countries, you might want to err on the side of caution, however when it comes to things being injected into the cows that aren't part of the natural product, like hormones and antibiotics.

That being said, we were not designed to consume any milk except human. That doesn't mean that milk isn't nutritious, and in some cases, necessary for a person's nutritional needs. I find it difficult to process vitamin D. Where I live, I can't always get it being outside. It's in milk though and that helps.

Unless there is a very definite link to cancer (such as in smoking cigarettes), I take these studies with a grain of salt. After all, I read the study that said that spinach has one of the highest natural carcinogenic levels known. In much smaller print, it also stated that the composition of other compounds within spinach renders the carcinogen inactive.

The only thing I really DO keep an eye on are chemicals ADDED to products.
  • BaileyP3
    BaileyP3 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^ Chiming in on this...what she said.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    can we get a definiton of "cancer causing" here?

There are a lot of things that even increase incidence (I'd say eating a diet to ensure one lives long enough to develop cancer for example) that don't "cause" cancer.