Do you think milk is safe?

Options

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    And for the source of the 30% figure: David Krogh's Biology: A Guide to the Natural World 5th Ed. page 294 states that virtually no adults in China and most adults in Africa cannot digest lactose. Most adults of Northern European descent can, though. And Sizer & Whitney's Nutrition Concepts and Controversies 12th ed estimates, on page 123, that upward of 75 percent of the world's people lose their ability to digest lactose as they age. (In the US, that number is only around 12%).

Sorry it took me so long....I was at work and my books were on my desk at home.

That's interesting. I'm going to surmise that the reason for this is because not many can afford cattle in Africa and because Hinduism is or was a primary religion of most Asian countries (cows were worshipped rather than used for food). Europeans, on the other hand, have been consuming milk since agriculture was developed. Perhaps it is simply a matter of acquiring a tolerance. Either way, that doesn't mean that milk is harmful.

As I stated earlier in this thread, if you can drink it AND want to drink it, then you should.
  • micneg01
    micneg01 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    The book The China Study by T. Collin Campbell is a good reference.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I really need people who want to use studies to support their claims to take a college level statistics course

Yes, and I really need people who comment on my posts to take a 1st grade level reading course :bigsmile:

I did put in parentheses that I wasn't identifying you with that statement, but if you feel the need to attack me, then perhaps you should work a little harder at making your statements clear and concise rather than overburdening them with citations from others.
  • banks89202
    Options
    Don't consume any dairy. Unless you are a baby cow.

Every time you are drinking milk, the baby cow that it was meant for isn't drinking it.
    Fck him. He should have been higher on the food chain. We'll eat him later.

Yummmm cheeseburger :love:
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Who the Hell drinks 4 cups of milk daily? Even before it ever made me I'd never do that.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Agreed. All should read this book.
  • TommiEgan
    TommiEgan Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I love milk. I won't ever stop drinking it!
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    It's poison!

Delicious delicious poison, and I drink it all the time.
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Stop scaring yourself. if it is a part of a health BALANCED diet, high in whole grains, fruit and veggies, not an issue. If you load up on cheese and dairy at the expense of everything else maybe.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options

No, it's really not. Campbell positively waterboarded those statistics.

My favorite criticism:
    http://rawfoodsos.com/2010/07/07/the-china-study-fact-or-fallac/

example quotes:
    Why does Campbell indict animal foods in cardiovascular disease (correlation of +1 for animal protein and -11 for fish protein), yet fail to mention that wheat flour has a correlation of +67 with heart attacks and coronary heart disease, and plant protein correlates at +25 with these conditions?

People need to be VERY careful when attempting to infer causation from correlation. Campbell was not careful.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    And for the source of the 30% figure: David Krogh's Biology: A Guide to the Natural World 5th Ed. page 294 states that virtually no adults in China and most adults in Africa cannot digest lactose. Most adults of Northern European descent can, though. And Sizer & Whitney's Nutrition Concepts and Controversies 12th ed estimates, on page 123, that upward of 75 percent of the world's people lose their ability to digest lactose as they age. (In the US, that number is only around 12%).

Sorry it took me so long....I was at work and my books were on my desk at home.

That's interesting. I'm going to surmise that the reason for this is because not many can afford cattle in Africa and because Hinduism is or was a primary religion of most Asian countries (cows were worshipped rather than used for food). Europeans, on the other hand, have been consuming milk since agriculture was developed. Perhaps it is simply a matter of acquiring a tolerance. Either way, that doesn't mean that milk is harmful.

Here's one theory I really like- Europeans acquired a mutation that kept the lactase gene permanently switched on. The mutation stayed in the gene pool is because it was ADVANTAGEOUS among cultures that raised domestic animals.

Here's a good article for those interested from the UC Museum of Palentology: http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/news/070401_lactose
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Who the Hell drinks 4 cups of milk daily? Even before it ever made me I'd never do that.

I do. In fact I had 6 1/2 cups today. Deeelish. Helps me towards my protein goal quite well.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

I do. In fact I had 6 1/2 cups today. Deeelish. Helps me towards my protein goal quite well.

I only had 3.5 today.:cry: But, mine are all whole milk so I think I get bonus milk points.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

I only had 3.5 today.:cry: But, mine are all whole milk so I think I get bonus milk points.

I will see your 3.5 cups of whole milk and up you a serving of B&J and 6oz of greek yoghurt!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

I will see your 3.5 cups of whole milk and up you a serving of B&J and 6oz of greek yoghurt!

5 egg breakfast. Boom.

Eta: its come to my attention that eggs are irrelevant because they're not dairy. I concede. My eggs are still an honorable mention though. So I got a ribbon anyway.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

5 egg breakfast. Boom.

Eta: its come to my attention that eggs are irrelevant because they're not dairy. I concede. My eggs are still an honorable mention though. So I got a ribbon anyway.

milk-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day, the OP states (or worries about) a claim about the cancer-causing properties of milk.

Some people may be lactose-intolerant - that's tough for them.... however, ultimately irrelevant to whether milk is carcinogenic, or not.

Unless someone can show the latest research that PROVES milk causes cancer (and surely I would have seen something like that in the paper) then all you're talking about is idle supposition and your "feelings" about milk. Sorry, but these things don't cut it......

I also note that the OP is long gone.... probably been scared off by now!
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day, the OP states (or worries about) a claim about the cancer-causing properties of milk.

Some people may be lactose-intolerant - that's tough for them.... however, ultimately irrelevant to whether milk is carcinogenic, or not.

Unless someone can show the latest research that PROVES milk causes cancer (and surely I would have seen something like that in the paper) then all you're talking about is idle supposition and your "feelings" about milk. Sorry, but these things don't cut it......

T. Colin Campbell did a study where he proved that a diet consisting of 20% casein promoted cancer growth, whereas a diet of 5% casein did not. It didn't show that milk CAUSED cancer, but that a diet high in milk protein was conducive to cancer growth.

If you consider yourself a compassionate person, if you have cats or dogs that you love, or if you are a mother, watch this video. For dairy specific information, jump straight to 1:00:45

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es6U00LMmC4
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I do not buy organic EXCEPT MILK. for this very reason. Especially for my kids.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options

T. Colin Campbell did a study where he proved that a diet consisting of 20% casein promoted cancer growth, whereas a diet of 5% casein did not. It didn't show that milk CAUSED cancer, but that a diet high in milk protein was conducive to cancer growth.

If you consider yourself a compassionate person, if you have cats or dogs that you love, or if you are a mother, watch this video. For dairy specific information, jump straight to 1:00:45

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es6U00LMmC4

The higher casein diet also protected against the acutely toxic effects of aflatoxin, which at the unrealistically high AFB1 concentrations given to the rats in the study, would prolong life.

It's just not that simple.

Also iirc, subsequent studies showed any complete protein promoted cancer given similar conditions, which proves adequate protein nutrition (plant or animal irrelevant in a mixed diet) promotes cell growth (a no-**** Sherlock conclusion) as aflatoxin is generally considered to be a complete carcinogen requiring little to promote cancer.

Aflatoxin exposure from corn and peanuts and arsenic in drinking water likely represent the two most important low dose exposures resulting in unexpected( scientifcally vs. background incidence) cancer in the world btw...